Embarkation in Venice

DrStevo

The Crown Princess sails out of Venice after a one night stay, with embarkation the first day. Has anyone done this? Any suggestions for embarkation in Venice, Italy? Thanks in advance! :D

I have to say Venice was a little challenging... I suggest you get a good answer from Princess. We stayed in Venice beforehand, and then took a water taxi (public) over to the embarkation point. However, once we were in the public area, there were many Princess passengers and no transportation. We ended up walking about a mile with our luggage and kids to the ship. It was not the best organized, although I think some people were more patient and there was perhaps a shuttle?? No one to ask.

Any suggestions for embarkation in Venice, Italy? Thanks in advance!

Suggestions for you would depend a great deal on your situation...

Will you be arriving in Venice the same day as embarkation? If so, by plane, train, auto?

If you're arriving a day or two prior to embarkation, are you staying in Venice proper, Mestre, or someplace else?

Lew

We cruised from Venice last October on the Ruby TA. When we arrived at the airport, we took a bus to Piazzale Roma where we stored our luggage next to the people mover for about 5 euros if memory serves. We then took public transit into Venice itself where we stayed overnight. The next day, about noon, we went back to Piazalle Roma, picked up our luggage, and took it via the people Mover ( 1 Euro/pp) to the terminal where we dropped off the luggage, checked in and boarded the ship. After dropping of our carry-ons in our stateroom, we had lunch and took the ship's water shuttle back to Venice. This is about a 30 minute ride and a great picture taking opportunity. We wandered through more of Venice and returned to the ship on the water shuttle. The next morning, which is when the ship departs, it was pouring. We used the people mover to go back to Piazza Roma to the Co-op where we stocked up on wine. Back on the people mover and straight on to the ship. Sounds like a lot of work, but it was very easy and well-organized.

Ciao,

Nikki

We cruised from Venice last October on the Ruby TA. When we arrived at the airport, we took a bus to Piazzale Roma where we stored our luggage next to the people mover for about 5 euros if memory serves. We then took public transit into Venice itself where we stayed overnight. The next day, about noon, we went back to Piazalle Roma, picked up our luggage, and took it via the people Mover ( 1 Euro/pp) to the terminal where we dropped off the luggage, checked in and boarded the ship. After dropping of our carry-ons in our stateroom, we had lunch and took the ship's water shuttle back to Venice. This is about a 30 minute ride and a great picture taking opportunity. We wandered through more of Venice and returned to the ship on the water shuttle. The next morning, which is when the ship departs, it was pouring. We used the people mover to go back to Piazza Roma to the Co-op where we stocked up on wine. Back on the people mover and straight on to the ship. Sounds like a lot of work, but it was very easy and well-organized.

Ciao,

Nikki

Thanks for a great explanation. We are leaving on next month from Venice and plan to do almost exactly what you did. We think, however, we will take our luggage with us, as we found a hotel right at P. Roma. We were wondering how to get back into Venice after we boarded and we appreciate your information.....also plan to stock up on vino...where is the Co-op? Is it obvious???

where is the Co-op? Is it obvious???

I've attached a map showing the location of the Coop. It's just past the the Piazzale Roma vaporetto stop. BTW, it is Coop and not co-op...pronounced Coppa.

After we checked in for the cruise and dropped off some things in our cabin, we unloaded one of our carry-ons and brought it with us to the Coop. We used it to cart our wine, soda, water, etc. back to the ship. This year I think we'll bring both of our carry-ons as it was pretty tight last time.

Enjoy your cruise...

Lew

1615608659_VeniceItaly(ve)-GoogleMaps.jpg.d55c563b9bff5e2f7e36d2ad10190894.jpg

I've attached a map showing the location of the Coop. It's just past the the Piazzale Roma vaporetto stop. BTW, it is Coop and not co-op...pronounced Coppa.

After we checked in for the cruise and dropped off some things in our cabin, we unloaded one of our carry-ons and brought it with us to the Coop. We used it to cart our wine, soda, water, etc. back to the ship. This year I think we'll bring both of our carry-ons as it was pretty tight last time.

Enjoy your cruise...

Lew

we will have 6 adults when we cruise out of Venice later this year...how many bottles of wine per adult? and what about the corkage fee..how much? Thanks

A few years ago:

1) Flew in the day before and stayed in a Hotel in central venice and sampled venice for a day and half

2) Scheduled a private water taxi ( two actually ) that picked our party of 11 from hotel and dropped us right next to the ship. Included a grand ride down the canal too.

The water taxi is pricey but was so convenient for my parents. They dropped us feet away from the ship and the luggage was just left there with tags. We did have about a 100 yard walk to the check-in terminal.

The Crown Princess sails out of Venice after a one night stay, with embarkation the first day. Has anyone done this? Any suggestions for embarkation in Venice, Italy? Thanks in advance! :D

151576195_0008_EmeraldPrincessatVeniceTerminal.jpg.81b5e1fb5360f7a31cc241bd918b74b8.jpg

671102158_0400_VeniceGrandCanalWaterTaxitoship.jpg.eb94394d7573a51d138093e94bc159b7.jpg

We were wondering how to get back into Venice after we boarded and we appreciate your information.....also plan to stock up on vino...where is the Co-op? Is it obvious???

The Princess vaporetto goes from near the ship to near St. Mark's Square. It does not go down the Grand Canal, so you may want to do that in your pre-cruise day in Venice.

The Princess vaporetto costs either $15 or $20 (not sure of current price) a person for unlimited rides. In the past there have been cards for this in your cabin. If you do not use them, turn them in at the Pursor's desk so you will not be charged for them.

If your flying into Venice, you can take a bus for 5 EU to the Piazzale Roma. You can stay at a hotel there if you want. One that is right there is called Hotel Arlecchino. You can easily walk from the bus stop to this hotel. Then you could walk or ride on the vaparetto to St Marks square and to the main part of the city. Back at the hotel I mentioned you can also walk from there to the people mover. That costs 1 EU and will take you right to the cruise terminal. A private water taxi is very expensive, like $100 per trip. Bu the vaparetto is around 6 EU per person or you can buy a 24 hour pass which would save you some money. I suggest you read Rick Steves Venice guide book for lots more info. I got mine right from the public library and then took notes. I found the hotel I mention on both cruisecritic and on trip advisor.

We were on the Star last June after 4 days in Venice.

You can only take the Princess vaparetto AFTER you have boarded and have picked up your passes in your room. We used the Alilaguna (?) Blue line from next to St. Mark's square to the cruise ship boarding area. These boats are the best for handling luggage. I think about 7 Euros per person.

After boarding we went to the COOP at Piazzale Roma, on the People Mover, to pick up some wine. A 5 liter box of White Wine fit nicely in the frig! It was OK and only cost 9 Euros!

we will have 6 adults when we cruise out of Venice later this year...how many bottles of wine per adult? and what about the corkage fee..how much? Thanks

2 bottles per adult is not a problem and some bring more. Corkage fee only applies when you take an unopened bottle to the dining room. I am no sure of the amount. $25? $15? If you open it in your cabin and bring a class of wine to dinner with you, there is no fee. Your cabin steward can supply you with wine glasses.

We are spending three nights in Venice before the cruise... after 4 nights in Paris! It's our 20th anniversary! So, it sounds like it is best to delay embarkation and transfer late from our hotel?? 5 or 6 pm?? :D

After boarding we went to the COOP at Piazzale Roma, on the People Mover, to pick up some wine. A 5 liter box of White Wine fit nicely in the frig! It was OK and only cost 9 Euros!

Look familiar?

20101031-tuqkwymgcijjuk9g1558cj921x.jpg

This is the 1 litre size which cost €1,00 in 2010. The wine is quite good for the price.

Lew

Thanks so much for the great information! We will be doing the same thing in December on the Crown Princess taking her back to Galveston and I am sharing all this wealth of information with our roll call! I cannot wait till December!

Have been to Venice once before...never remember the people mover, could someone please explain. Where does it go, where do you get it, what exactly is it????:confused:

Also, last time we took the water taxi to the ship, the hotel made arrangements with others at the hotel, so the cost was shared. Also, remember the duty free, right at embarkation..it was great!

Archived