Looking to book Alaska in 2013

shelly11

Which route/ship would you choose? Pretend money isn't an issue and I will get a balcony of some sort.

Jewel going Seattle-Ketchikan-Juneau-Sawyer Glacier-Skagway-Victoria BC-Seattle

Pearl going Seattle-Juneau-Skagway-Glacier Bay-Ketchikan-Victoria BC-Seattle

Sun going Whitter-Hubbard Glacier-Icy Strait Point-Juneau-Skagway-Ketchikan-Inside Passage-Victorica BC

All going to see beautiful views, all 7 days....will it just come down to which ship or is there a 'can't miss' thing I need to see?

Thanks in advance!

DH and I have sailed the Pearl twice to Alaska. Once to Glacier Bay and once to Sawyer Glacier. Hands down, Glacier Bay was our favorite. We spent about 6 hours in Glacier Bay and it is quite breathtaking. Sawyer Glacier was okay, but in our honest opinion, didn't even compare to Glacier Bay.

We have 2 more cruises before we can get back to Alaska and Glacier Bay.

BTW, DH and I prefer a Haven suite, especially while cruising in Alaska.

The SUN still has the Observation Lounge on forward deck 12. Floor to ceiling windows in case you have inclement weather. Nice, smaller ship and great crew. So you might want to take that into consideration. Also the cabins on the SUN are larger than the rest of the fleet. Reg balcony is the same size as a mini suite on other ships.

For the first Alaska cruise, I recommend the Pearl, because as mentioned, Glacier Bay. Also the Pearl also has a Spinaker Lounge (top forward observation area), and a Great Outdoors (rear open outside sitting, bar, grill area). I do recommend a balcony cabin. We've done that and now have the Jewel booked for another Alaska cruise in a couple of months.

You may benefit from more details on cruising Alaska. You also do not mention the superb northbound Sun itinerary with Glacier Bay and Hubbard.

Any of these cruises will give you a wonderful trip. Each also has some negatives- the round trip Seattle sailings are the least scenic itineraries sailing Alaska. Tracy Arm is certainly very scenic, BUT, I only recommend that itinerary with the purchase of the add on ship tour of Tracy Arm. It is grossly superior compared to the ship transit.

For me, I never consider any one way cruises unless extra time is added for landing touring, and taking advantage of being there.

I have sailed all these routes.

Take a look at the ports, what is your priority for touring?? Look at times in port, some may be better than others. Find out about the glacier differences, look at routes, look at price,and the overal costs. Budget fully for tours, you get only half a trip without them. :)

Ditto to what previous posters have said. We sailed on the Pearl. She is a great ship. We had a minisuite. I would definitely recommend a balcony or higher. If money was no object I would do it again in a heartbeat. Glacier Bay was incredible. We did also go to the spinnaker lounge but we spent more time at the Great Outdoors. We were fortunate to have mild, sunny days on our cruise.

We chose the northbound Sun itinerary. I like that it has both Glacier Bay and Hubbard Glacier. I like the long port times at the 3 ports. I could get an early June sailing at a good price, vs the shoulder season, and lessen the worry about ice keeping us away from Hubbard in May, or wind and heavy rains in the fall. Granted, it is all a crapshoot, but I like my odds better with the early June.

Since the cruise is cheaper, it almost pays for the difference in airfare on the roundtrip Seattles.

And finally, since I'll now be on the one way, I can add 1-3 days at the end, depending on time and finances, and enjoy just a bit more of Alaska before heading home.

We chose the northbound Sun itinerary. I like that it has both Glacier Bay and Hubbard Glacier. I like the long port times at the 3 ports. I could get an early June sailing at a good price, vs the shoulder season, and lessen the worry about ice keeping us away from Hubbard in May, or wind and heavy rains in the fall. Granted, it is all a crapshoot, but I like my odds better with the early June.

Since the cruise is cheaper, it almost pays for the difference in airfare on the roundtrip Seattles.

And finally, since I'll now be on the one way, I can add 1-3 days at the end, depending on time and finances, and enjoy just a bit more of Alaska before heading home.

Sounds wonderful! Does this itinerary require a passport then, because of disembark in Canada?

That is good to consider! Thanks so much!

thanks! A balcony is a must, just to pick which one now!

If you're going to book the Pearl and you're set on a balcony, may I suggest one on the port side.

We chose deck 10, mid-ship last September. We were able to enjoy Glacier Bay from our balcony, listening to the ranger presentation on the TV. We kept the sliding door open and turned the set toward the door. As we got closer and closer to Marjorie Glacier, it got colder and colder. Fortunately, all of our warm clothes were right there.

Once the ship turned around, we headed up to the Spinnaker lounge.

Whatever you choose... enjoy Alaska. We did! ;)

If you are a US citizen you will use your passport to enter Canada - you will go through Canadian customs at the airport. You might also need it in Skagway AK depending on which tours you go on - some do enter Canada and then re enter the US. You will need it again to enter the US when you disembark in Whittier AK.

You will need it again to enter the US when you disembark in Whittier AK.

Nope, You do NOT need any passport for disembarking in Whittier, they don't even have any customs. You pass throught the US customs at Canada Place, in Vancouver.

Then just walk off the ship in Whittier.

I can tell, the information being posted is not from first hand knowledge and is making the wrong assumptions.

Ok. You had me thinking hard on that one. Let me guess. Showing our passports when we board in Vancouver covers the re-entry into the states?

There isn't even any customs in Whittier, you clear US customs at Canada Place. Once you are on the ship, you are "back" in the US. There isn't anywhere else you are going.

You are right, I have not cruised out of Vancouver, I have crossed the boarder both in cars and planes many times both pre and post 911 and have had to pass through Canadian customs upon entry to Canada and US when returning. Are you saying that you pass through US customs in Canada Place prior to boarding the ship?

I don't understand how a foreign flagged vessel could be condidered US when docked in Canadian waters.

You are right, I have not cruised out of Vancouver, I have crossed the boarder both in cars and planes many times both pre and post 911 and have had to pass through Canadian customs upon entry to Canada and US when returning. Are you saying that you pass through US customs in Canada Place prior to boarding the ship?

I don't understand how a foreign flagged vessel could be condidered US when docked in Canadian waters.

Correct- Because the only place you can go from the ship- is in the US. It doesn't matter what water it is sailing in to get there.

Archived