Will an airline confiscate alcohol in my carry-on

boston Rocks

Will an airline confiscate alcohol in my carry-on??

I will of course have a stash in my checked baggage, but carnival allows wine/champagne to be carried on.

We are flying in to FL and taking a carnival transfer to Miami (will not have time to stop at the liquor store)

Any info???-Thank you

Will an airline confiscate alcohol in my carry-on??

I will of course have a stash in my checked baggage, but carnival allows wine/champagne to be carried on.

We are flying in to FL and taking a carnival transfer to Miami (will not have time to stop at the liquor store)

Any info???-Thank you

We have always taken Alcohol in our hand luggage so the answer is No they will not confiscate bottles.

Don't forget that most airports sell duty free liquor before you board the plane.

Reasonable quantities - no problem. Remember, individual states have limits on the amount you can bring into the state without that state's taxes. In checked luggage? Good luck and pack very well. Also remember the newer weight limits for checked luggage.

You can only buy duty free when traveling international. You cannot purchase duty-free when flying domestic. As for what TSA allows, good luck in guessing at that as it seems to be entirely random what they allow & not allow now-a-days. Also if you're packing it in a carry-on, keep an eye on it on-board as I once saw a flight attendant bust open a bottle accidentally while trying to cram in an additional bag to the overhead bins. If anything, keep the bottles under the seat in front of you as you can ensure that they won't get jostled there.

but I've decided it just isn't worth the risk with TSA now a'days

why "open the widow of opportunity" to have problems with a screener at the airport or the sea port?

I'm sure you will get many follow-on replies that say "I did it - no problem" but I figure if you are unsure enuf to have asked...would you be like me and be stressed about it the entire trip:rolleyes:

why bother

use it as an excuse to drink less ;)

You can only buy duty free when traveling international. You cannot purchase duty-free when flying domestic. As for what TSA allows, good luck in guessing at that as it seems to be entirely random what they allow & not allow now-a-days.
The point is that because you can buy and carry on duty free on international flights, neither the airlines nor the TSA will have a safety problem with you carrying on bottles of alcohol on domestic flights either. As far as I can see, bottles of alcohol are not on the no-fly list.

But you'd still have to keep your cabin baggage within weight and volume limits.

The standard is that any alcoholic beverage less than 150 proof is permitted. That rules out Bacardi 151, "moonshine", or any similar liquor... everything else should be OK. If a screener does question you, ask for a supervisor to clarify whether the item is permissible.

Then again, you could hit a checkpoint that's planning a BIG party after their shift... :D

Then again, you could hit a checkpoint that's planning a BIG party after their shift... :D

That would be my luck! We are flying out of Logan(Boston) it seems they party often!(we Bostonias are still celebrating the Pats "1st" Super Bowl win :rolleyes:)

The point is that because you can buy and carry on duty free on international flights, neither the airlines nor the TSA will have a safety problem with you carrying on bottles of alcohol on domestic flights either. As far as I can see, bottles of alcohol are not on the no-fly list.

Thank you for the "no-fly list" it is very helpful! I am going to bring a copy with me just in case!

End result: I'm going to give it a shot; I am considering wine instead of Champaign(for the pressure issue mentioned above)

Thank you all for the input-this is a great network for cruisers!

I'll let you know when I get back! 3 days left!

I completely forgot about the 150 proof rule. After our transatlantic, we spent time in Ft. Myers visiting family. Since we booked our own air home and with the weight difference between international and domestic flights, we left some of our things down there as we were returning in about six weeks for a weekend visit and figured we could bring them back then when our luggage load was lighter. We left a lot of the bottles including our wine from Spain and Maderia that were in sealed boxes with seals from the wineries from those places. The TSA agent insisted on opening each box and checking each bottle for proof. I think this agent went a little overboard as she also confiscated my little travel size of static guard when they clearly state that you can carry small quantities of personal care aerosols.

Thanks for the reminder as we are going on another trans this year and will stop in Italy and France.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
I had an opened half full bottle of scotch whiskey in my carry on Lisbon - London - Chicago (plenty of security scans) and it was not taken.

How long ago was this Matt? Airlines are pretty strict today. (or maybe it was a non stop flight?

We took 10 bottles (wrapped in bubble) in our rollon bag from Phonix to Grand Cayman and nobody said a word. We were allowed to bring in to Cayman 5/person thus the 10. The people at the xray machines just grinned at us.

This was in early April - 2 flights Lisbon - London and then on to Chicago. I went through screening in Lisbon and London and then Immigration in Chicago.

You had your luggage checked in Europe - different rules there. Immigration in Chicago, you landed there and were not carrying an unsubstantiated substance on board the plane with TSA agents checking. On our flight out of Ft. Lauderdale where they confiscated the open bottle of the person in front of us (luckily all ours were sealed), they said it was becasuse they couldn't prove what liquid the bottle contained. I thought that was funny as they were letting people board with water bottles even the refillable non-see through ones.

I have heard they sometimes ask you to take a swig out of opened bottles in your carry-on (including water). I guess to make sure it is not something that could blow up a plane. Nothing like a swig of bourbon at 10:00 a.m. on a return from a cruise to get you going

Tucker in Texas

When I mentioned that the person ahead of us had his open bottle confiscated, I shoul have mentioned that we all were some of the unlucky ones that had our carryons thoroughly inspected. And as I said, they were letting people on with open water bottles which I found very ironic.

Archived