Wheelchair assistance at embarkation

lovey1103

My DH requires a wheelchair to board due to medical condition.

Our TA did request a chair for embarkation. Not having gone this route on previous voyages, I have a couple of questions. (by the way we are not bringing nor renting a wheelchair since it is only necessary when super crowded, fatigued and stressed. If anyone out there can relate to Parkinson's Disease you understand).

1. We will be dropped off by our hotel shuttle at the cruise port. Do I request the wheelchair from the porters?

2. Do they embark us through a separate entrance and take us to the desk for check-in.

Any information you can share will be helpful so I can plan our embarkation and keep the stress at a minimum.

Emerald TA 4/26/12

Thanks all

Edited by lovey1103

My DH requires a wheelchair to board due to medical condition.

Our TA did request a chair for embarkation. Not having gone this route on previous voyages, I have a couple of questions. (by the way we are not bringing nor renting a wheelchair since it is only necessary when super crowded, fatigued and stressed. If anyone out there can relate to Parkinson's Disease you understand).

1. We will be dropped off by our hotel shuttle at the cruise port. Do I request the wheelchair from the porters?

2. Do they embark us through a separate entrance and take us to the desk for check-in.

Any information you can share will be helpful so I can plan our embarkation and keep the stress at a minimum.

Emerald TA 4/26/12

Thanks all

all the cruise lines would have a wheel chair assistance desk were you have to go there and register for a wheel chair and the staff take you to check in and when its time to embark they take you onboard and take you to your cabin.....the same for disembarking goes as you have to register with the pursers desk for coming home

You will go through the same processing doors and lines, and they will wheel you to the front of the lines.

Disembarkation is a little different than Embarkation.

I usually use the wheelchair Disembarkation & Embarkation.

DISEMBARKATION:

I usually take the Princess Citytour to the airport. U will B advised to go to a certain lounge where all are disabled & their traveling companions.

When your number-colour is called, Crew (who R usually dining room staff) will assist U to the terminal to pick out your luggage. They will find a porter for U with a flat-bed trolley and then wheel U out to the curb for your cab or your coach. On the Coach, there is a seat or two in the front with a sign on it for Handicapped. You R all set.

EMBARKATION:

How this is different: I have never seen any crew outside the terminal, only the Porters. Give them your luggage with a tip (so it doesn't go into the sea).

Then, I walk to the terminal. It usually is not too far a distance. The longest distance is after check-in which is where they will take U up the ramp in a wheelchair & on to your cabin.

Fair Winds & Following Seas.

My daughter has needed a wheelchair for embarkation/disembarkation in the past. We would arrive at the terminal and there are usually Princess reps at the door checking boarding passes. We'd tell them we required the wheelchair and they would either get one or send someone for one. A pier person will push the wheelchair through the check-in and security process but leave the chair at the gangway. They are not allowed on the ship so Princess staff will take you onboard and to your cabin.

A packet will be delivered to your cabin with tours specifically for those who are less mobile or require a wheelchair.

For disembarkation, there will be a lounge or meeting place assigned for those needing assistance. Once there, staff will come and disembark you in a wheelchair across the gangway and leave you. Once over the gangway, pier staff will take you through Customs/Immigration (if it's at the disembarkation port) to luggage claim and out to the sidewalk.

So, keep this in mind that you'll need separate tips for two people embarking and again, when disembarking.

Last year we purchased a "transport chair" for 99.00 for mom. She is 86 and in good health except knees will sometimes get too stiff for much walking, this is when we use it. It folds down small, is VERY easy to push and Very sturdy. We wheel her all over the islands with no problem. If she does not want to use it we don't use it. It really comes in handy though when you need it. Stores right up in front of airplane also. Last month on our cruise her knees were working pretty good. Lucky for me cause I blew my knee and could not walk at all on second to last day of cruise. I had to use her chair from that point home. I was so grateful to have had it! BTW, all princess staff help me so much. My cabin steward fetched ice whenever he could and checked in on me when my group went to dinner. Seriously, that chair is perfect for what you are talking about.

My DW has MS and also needs a wheelchair assist for embarkation and disembarkation. The procedure does seem to vary a bit from port to port. However, after our luggage has been given to the porters I generally try to find a spot for DW to sit and go off to find a Princess rep and explain to him or her that we have requested a wheelchair assist. At the terminal the wheelchair porters are employees of the agency who provides check-in services for Princess, the amount of time it takes to get a porter will vary with the amount of chairs and porters available and the demand for them. Sometimes the Princess rep will request that DW come into the terminal to wait for a porter other time she just waits outside. Often once the porter has taken us to the health form desk and thru the check-in procedure we will be left in an area to await the assistance of a junior steward from the ship and at that time she is often requested to change wheelchairs and then is wheeled aboard. Incidentally both the porter and steward do appreciate a tip.

• 1 month later...

I found this thread searching for exactly the info you are discussing. I am contemplating taking my 82 year old mother on an Alaskan cruise at the end of the summer. This will be her second cruise ... I took her on a western Caribbean cruise in 2006 and she was much more mobile. She now uses a walker and even with that is often limited due to increasing issues with neuropathy. The long flight is a concern to me but we will consult her doctor this Friday to make sure we take any and all precautions. Would any of your experiences indicate a travel agent helps with making any arrangements needed for a person with limited mobility as I have described? (I typically do my own thing using the cruise line website.) Also, is there a suggested tip amount for those that do assist? I like to make sure I tip appropriately and don't forget those who provide such services. If any other info should be considered, please let me know. Thanks much.

• 4 months later...

Hi Pam I am glad I ran across this Thread, a friend of mine will need wheelchair assistance during embarkatio & disembarking mainly because she wouldn't be able to stand during that long process of checking in. Are any medical forms required by the cruise lines where her doctor signs, stating she is fit to travel. I only learned of these needs a short time ago. She is ambulatory otherwise.

Gay

Hello Putterdude, I noticed last night when checking our Set Sail Pass and special services, which is where I indicated a wheel chair for my friend, a form, but in looking it over it seemed to apply more to someone who required O2 and other needs. I wanted to be sure I have all the necessary paperwork for her as this is her very first cruise and I have never had to inquire for such services before. I will make sure she has all her documents and will stress those to her until she tells me to hush.:D I did read during my search, where I will have to go into the terminal and request a wheelchair from a specific window, there won't be one waiting for us. I will get with my TA as she said they will put in a request from her office. Thank you everyone for your information.

Gay

Hello Putterdude, I noticed last night when checking our Set Sail Pass and special services, which is where I indicated a wheel chair for my friend, a form, but in looking it over it seemed to apply more to someone who required O2 and other needs. I wanted to be sure I have all the necessary paperwork for her as this is her very first cruise and I have never had to inquire for such services before. I will make sure she has all her documents and will stress those to her until she tells me to hush.:D I did read during my search, where I will have to go into the terminal and request a wheelchair from a specific window, there won't be one waiting for us. I will get with my TA as she said they will put in a request from her office. Thank you everyone for your information.

Gay

There are Princess reps in the terminal, contact one of them.

As noted above there are plenty of wheelchairs available. :)

highheel girl thank you, I am sure she will be able to get into the termnal, it is the standing in the long lines getting to the counter where she said she would have the most problems. I had spoken to her awhile back to let her know the procedure of checking in and that is when she informed me she might have a problem. Getting around once on board won't be since there will be places to sit down. She also doesn't do stairs well, it isn't so much her legs as it is her feet? In this case I will also have to look into the situation for Muster. The last time DH & I were on Princess was in 2006. He is staying home this time and await our Australia trip.

Gay

Edited by Desert Cruizers

Disembarkation is a little different than Embarkation.

I usually use the wheelchair Disembarkation & Embarkation.

DISEMBARKATION:

I usually take the Princess Citytour to the airport. U will B advised to go to a certain lounge where all are disabled & their traveling companions.

When your number-colour is called, Crew (who R usually dining room staff) will assist U to the terminal to pick out your luggage. They will find a porter for U with a flat-bed trolley and then wheel U out to the curb for your cab or your coach. On the Coach, there is a seat or two in the front with a sign on it for Handicapped. You R all set.

EMBARKATION:

How this is different: I have never seen any crew outside the terminal, only the Porters. Give them your luggage with a tip (so it doesn't go into the sea).

Then, I walk to the terminal. It usually is not too far a distance. The longest distance is after check-in which is where they will take U up the ramp in a wheelchair & on to your cabin.

Fair Winds & Following Seas.

:confused: :D

If you're a Platinum or Elite member, you can go to the Platinum/Elite disembarkation lounge, where there are refreshments, pastry, coffee and juice, notify the CC host that you will need assistance, and you'll be looked after, whether you have your own WC, or need one from the ship. From there on, it's the same !! ;)

Cato :)

Completed Cruises !

Pre-cruise Days - The Big Red Boat, 1993 ??

1st cruise - Coral Princess, 19 November 2008, 10 day Panama Canal, FLL to ACA

2nd cruise - Coral Princess, 15 May 2009, 3 day Repositioning, Los Angeles to Vancouver.

3rd cruise - Sapphire Princess, 25 November 2009? 7 day Mexican Riviera.

4th cruise - Golden Princes, 12 June 2010, 7 day Alaska. (Golden Anniversary Cruise)

5th Cruise - Island Princess, 04 October 2010, Vancouver - Los Angeles, Repositioning

6th cruise - Sapphire Princess, 05 January 2011, 10 day Mexican Riviera. LA to LA.

7th cruise - Golden Princess, 11 May 2011, 3 day, LA to Vancouver, Repositioning

8th cruise - Sapphire Princess, 14 May 2011, 1 day, Vancouver to Seattle, Repositioning

9th cruise - Coral Princess 19 May 2011 2 day, San Francisco to Vancouver, Repositioning

10th & 11th cruises - Coral Princess 02 July to 16 July 2011, round trip Vancouver - Whittier Alaska, B2B

12th & 13th cruises - Sapphire Princess, x2, Cabins, 18 Sep. 2011, 1 day, Seattle to Vancouver, Repositioning

14th & 15th cruises - Golden Princess, x2, Cabins, 24 Sep. 2011, 1 day, Seattle to Vancouver, Repositioning.

We have now reached Elite status with Princess Cruise Lines

16th cruise - Oasis of the Seas, 26 Nov. 2011, 7 day, Western Caribbean, Ft. Lauderdale, Ret.

17th & 18th cruises - Crown Princess B2B, 03 - 10 Dec & 10 - 17 Dec 2011, 14 Days, South & western Caribbean

19th cruise - Grand Princess, 31 Mar. - 07Jun.0212 7 Days, Eastern Caribbean, FLL - FLL

20th cruise - Island Princess, 06-16 June 2012, 10 day cruisetour Vancouver - Wittier

21th cruise - Emerald Princess, 16 day, 10 - 26 Sep. 2012, TA, Copenhagen - New York

Future & Hopeful Cruises !

( Already booked )

22 & 23rd cruises - Sapphire Princess B2B, 04 - 11 May & 11 - 18 May, 2013, California Coastal & Wine Country

24th cruise - Royal Princess 16 June - 05 July, 2013, 19 Day Inaugural cruise, Southampton - Venice.

25th cruise - Emerald Princess, 01 Oct. - 16 Oct. 2013, 16 Day Cruisetour, Toronto Via Quebec City to New York City

Depending on the port you are using, there is usually quite a long walk to get to an employee who can then go and request a wheelchair.

MANY times there is a 20 to 30 minute wait.

We always bring my DH's chair, like your Dad he can walk short distances, but with travel fatigue, large crowds all with carryon bags (They bump into him I'm afraid someone will knock him over) and many other hazards along the way, we learned years ago......don't leave home without it!

Should you need it during your cruise, say due to fatigue or high seas or any number of other issues, you have no guarantee that the ship will have one available for you to use.

Even though it is sometimes a hassle to store it and many times other than embar/disembark we have never used it, we have always been glad to know it's available to us 24/7.

My opinion is take your own........:)

PS - Not to mention the time I fell in France and broke my foot and used the chair the rest of the cruise! :rolleyes:

Although we have gone thru the Platinum stage and are now Elite, we have never been placed in the P&E lounge. In some terminals such as Canada Place and as I recall Pier 91 they don't even have such a lounge. In San Pedro and Port Everglades we have been left outside the lounges but have been given priority embarkation but even that is dependent upon the number of ship's stewards/pushers they have.

In this case I will also have to look into the situation for Muster.

The previous is correct about just leaving early for the muster and use the elevator.

More important is what will happen in case of a real emergency.

Notify the Purser's Desk that she will need assistance in case of an emergency. They will make sure she will get it.

Muster there is problem, they generally close down the elevators during that time. I spoke with her this morning, and as just mentioned, we can begin heading out early and she said she should be ok, just moves a little slower. She is hoping she will be doing much better by then also. ( 11 months). I also plan on speaking with the Purser Desk to inquier about her situation during muster and see what they recommend. I also explained to her, that depending on how many need them we may have to wait, and again, she could proceed without one we just won't be able to stampede in like everyone else.:D

I guess I'm a bit confused ... we just booked a 10 day cruise for November of 2013. The Deposit Confirmation I received from my TA includes the new smoking policy as well as a "Wheelchair Notification"... which states in part "If you require the use of a wheelchair onboard or ashore, you must bring your own, without exception, ship wheelchairs are reserved for emergency use ONLY" .... and then it goes on to address storing the wheelchair in the cabin etc etc etc...... Does this only apply "during" the cruise itself and not during embarkment or disembarkment?

I guess I'm a bit confused ... we just booked a 10 day cruise for November of 2013. The Deposit Confirmation I received from my TA includes the new smoking policy as well as a "Wheelchair Notification"... which states in part "If you require the use of a wheelchair onboard or ashore, you must bring your own, without exception, ship wheelchairs are reserved for emergency use ONLY" .... and then it goes on to address storing the wheelchair in the cabin etc etc etc...... Does this only apply "during" the cruise itself and not during embarkment or disembarkment?

That's a new one for me, to have it spelled out like that.....what cruise line is it?

As a veteran cruiser with a DH who has used a chair for 15 years, I can say that you can NEVER count on the ship to have wheelchairs for anything other than an emergency. I would never expect them to provide a chair if a person just wants to go ashore.

The various ports of embark/disembark usually have wheelchairs for that purpose only. The ship also provides what they have for use as well.

When the ship sails it doesn't have a large fleet of chairs like you see on embark day.....

Hope this helps :)

Edited by cruisefreaks