Gratuities

Excuse me for asking this question, especially since I'm sure it's been asked a million times. But it's been years since I've taken an RCI cruise, since my last 2 cruises were on Princess.

Are gratuities automatically added onto your shipboard account? I am signed up for an assigned dining time in the MDR. If yes, what is the amount per person, per day (for an adult)? Also, I assume like most other cruise lines, this price is set specifically for each guest, but you can go to the front desk and have it adjusted accordingly or taken off all together if you are going to tip directly?

Does the automatic gratuity include the waiter, the assistant waiter, the maitre'd and the stateroom attendant?

Thanks in advance!

Royal does not automatically charge the tips unless you are signed up for My Time Dining...which it appears you are not...you CAN choose to prepay your tips before boarding...they will be added to your final payment amt...or you can fill out a form once you are onboard & they will be charged to your seapass acct....if you choose to pre-pay or pay on your seapass account as far as I know you CANNOT adjust the amt. of the tips..if you tip in cash you can...tips on your account does cover the people you mentioned...the only other people you would want to tip are any room service waiters you might have deliver to you...

I pre-paid gratuities on my last RCI cruise. On the last night you are given envelopes with gratuity vouchers included. It's up to you to tear off the vouchers and hand them to your wait staff and room steward. If you do not pre-pay gratuities, you can put cash in the envelopes.

Royal does not automatically charge the tips unless you are signed up for My Time Dining...which it appears you are not...you CAN choose to prepay your tips before boarding...they will be added to your final payment amt...or you can fill out a form once you are onboard & they will be charged to your seapass acct....if you choose to pre-pay or pay on your seapass account as far as I know you CANNOT adjust the amt. of the tips..if you tip in cash you can...tips on your account does cover the people you mentioned...the only other people you would want to tip are any room service waiters you might have deliver to you...

They give out envelopes with the tip vouchers to insert. If you want to tip more you can just add the cash to the envelope. You probably could have it added to the seapass a couple of days before the end of the cruise and they would adjust the vouchers possibly. I'm not sure about that.

For MTD you must prepay the gratuities. Below is what was suggested on this link http://www.royalcaribbean.com/customersupport/faq/details.do?pagename=frequently_asked_questions&pnav=5&pnav=2&faqSubjectName=Gratuities&faqId=263&faqSubjectId=415&faqType=faq

The daily amounts below have been calculated with this in mind. For new bookings that set sail on or after July 1, 2011, the suggested gratuities are:

Waiter:$3.75 USDa day per guest

Assistant Waiter:$2.15 USDa day per guest

Head Waiter:$.75 USDa day per guest

Stateroom Attendant/ Other Housekeeping Services:$5.00 USDa day per guest

Suite Attendant/Other Housekeeping Services:$7.25 USDa day per guest

the only other people you would want to tip are any room service waiters you might have deliver to you...

Unless service is horrible or slow I also almost always tip beverage servers. That extra buck on the slip makes a huge difference in frequency of service and if using one venue a lot the size/strength of the drinks.

My understanding is that on MTD and pre-paid tips you can adjust tips downward if there has been a serious service issue - but be prepared to explain why and give specifics.

Note: If you pre-paid your tips, or arrange to have them added to your onboard account, you do NOT have to distribute the vouchers in order for the appropriate people to receive their tips. They will get their tips regardless, and it's not like they need to turn over the voucher to claim them. The vouchers are provided because some people like to have something to hand out on the last day, or they want to enclose a personal note of thanks, or add to the tip (not required or expected).

Jstducky....your tips will not be added to your account unless you request it. If you don't have them added to the account, or pre-pay them, you'll simply hand out the cash tips on the last evening, as usual!

Thank you for saying what I was trying to say...but apparently I was not clear based on the responses after mine...:)

Thank you all for the info.

One last question, if I choose to have my gratuities pre-paid before I leave on my cruise. Do I just tell the TA and they will make sure they are added on so I pay them with my final payment?

And if I just want them added to the seapass account while on board I just fill out the form at the front desk?

You guys are terrific!

Thank you all for the info.

One last question, if I choose to have my gratuities pre-paid before I leave on my cruise. Do I just tell the TA and they will make sure they are added on so I pay them with my final payment?

And if I just want them added to the seapass account while on board I just fill out the form at the front desk?

You guys are terrific!

Yes...

Archived