Teens in cabin?

baileybaby

Would you let your teens stay in a cabin by themselves if the cabin was 5 doors down? A friend has the chance to get a great aft cabin but the cabins next to it are not available.

Depends on the age/ male/female.. under 16.. no way. Even at 16.. there would be some serious rules in place.

Depends on the age/ male/female.. under 16.. no way. Even at 16.. there would be some serious rules in place.

She has super sweet girls. One is almost 15 and the other almost 17. They have side by side cabins now but she would love the space on the aft. The girls are the quiet love to stay in and read type. I'm so over protective I'm not sure I could do it. It is really her choice but was curious what others would do.

She has super sweet girls. One is almost 15 and the other almost 17. They have side by side cabins now but she would love the space on the aft. The girls are the quiet love to stay in and read type. I'm so over protective I'm not sure I could do it. It is really her choice but was curious what others would do.

My tiger mom instinct says He!! no. with thousands of strangers milling around the ship I wouldn't' allow it. No way. Across the hall is bad enough..

Depends on the kids....my daughter would have been fine...very conscientious...but when my son was the same age....no way! He would have forgotten to lock the door, or would have gotten locked out...as a teen, he didn't think much! (He's grown now, and VERY responsible!!!!! Hooray!!)

So it depends on your kids, and how responsible they are and how well they follow your rules!

True depends on the kids. When I chaparoned the high school band to D.C. a few years ago, we used painters tape on the outside of the doors to ensure the kids stayed in the room. The deal was the tape had to remain in place until the chaperone removed it the next day. I am sure that would not work on a cruise ship as random passengers could take it down and you don't want to flag a room as teenagers only in it.

Okay, I will tell a funny story. Not funny at the time, but hey... I can laugh now as I did some pretty crazy things when I was a teenager too. As I have posted before I have been living overseas for 2 years going home every six months. Last Christmas I was only home for 9 days. Home is Tampa, FL but we booked two rooms at Gaylord Palms in Orlando for their annual ICE event (ice, snow, fun, etc.) DH and I were staying in one room. All 4 kids in the other room, ages at the time were 19, 17, 9, 8. Oldest son does smoke and likes to wander around the resorts to "people watch." Him leaving his room to smoke or sit somewhere and people watch is not unusual. We did also drive two cars to Orlando so the oldest could leave the next morning and go to work while the rest of us spent the day in Orlando. Well, the little kids and I were watching a movie and they fell asleep so when we moved them to the other room oldest son was not there. I figured he was walking around the resort and waited a while but he didn't come back in a reasonable time so I called his cell phone. The kid got in his car and drove back to Tampa because his "girl" friend home from college for Christmas break "called him to come hang out". Then he thought he would drive back to Orlando before we woke up, then was going to go to work the next day. Really? Teenagers.:( So I was really mad that he left a "family vacation" to go hang out with his friends. We did not want him driving down I-4 tired so we told him to go straight home and he better answer the home phone within 30 mintues so we could verify he was home. The extremely ironic part is this girl goes to college in Orlando! LoL. Actually these days, him staying out all night is pretty common but he is almost 20. We only get frustrated when he is not home by 6 am because DH leaves for work and his "job" is to put his younger siblings on the school bus. If he is late, the high school senior has to put them on the bus making him late for first period.

Well, I guess I got him this time, this family vacation is on a cruise ship. :eek:

If they are the quiet, responsible types as you say I don't really see a problem if they are only 5 doors down. Our girls ages 12 and 15 will be in the cabin across the hall and I know they won't be sneaking out in the middle of the night but if you had kids that were the type that would then perhaps not. Surely at 16 they should be able to be a bit independant.

I don't see a problem at all unless the kids are really irresponsible. My boys always had their own cabin when cruising with us as teens. It was usually next door or across the hall, but not always. With girls, you would want to reinforce not opening the door to strangers same as you would at home if you went out at night and left them home alone obviously.

Some commonsense from Grandma :)

really????.. u don't see the differene between leaving your kids down the hall in a packed cruise ship and having them fall asleep in their own homes???

These "nice girls" could be very gullible. There are creeps that come in all shapes and sizes.. and some of them like to cruise.

really????.. u don't see the differene between leaving your kids down the hall in a packed cruise ship and having them fall asleep in their own homes???

These "nice girls" could be very gullible. There are creeps that come in all shapes and sizes.. and some of them like to cruise.

Of course it is different to being in your own home but I would assume that at that age they know not to answer the door to strangers and to keep the door locked. There are many families (including ours) who on a cruise have teens sleeping in a different cabin across the hall or next door or even a few doors down. Surely at age 16 they should be able to be somewhat independant and use their common sense. We are not talking about young children here.

Unless the rooms are connecting, I really do not see the difference between 5 doors down and next door/across the hall. If the teens are going to go out, you won't hear them do so if you are across the hall, next door or 5 doors down. If someone knocks on their door and they open it, you won't know this whether they are across the hall/next door or 5 doors down. If you are comfortable having your kids in a separate(non connecting room) 5 doors should not be any different.

I do think there need to be some very strict rules and some "scare the pants off them" scenarios discussed before you do this but at 16, they need to start thinking more independently and acting it too.

I think you KNOW your kids and no I do not think predators are stalking the ship (do bad things EVER happen yes) but I do NOT believe there are stalkers lying in wait for my kids.

My daughter was an exchange student at 15 and traveled internationally to stay with families for a YEAR. She flew by herself, met people she didn't know and lived with them....even changed families & went to school where she didn't know anyone. Did it make me a little nervous yes....but I know my girl, I trust her judgement about putting herself into unsafe situations and it was ultimately the experience of a lifetime. She is the person she is today because of these experiences (an RN, who travels extensively on her own & with friends and lives in Las Vegas)

Everyone ultimately makes their own decisions on what feels right to them - but when you asked for opinions and input you're likely to get all sides to a position.

Follow safety rules - at 17 she's about to leave for college (heck have you heard all the things that happen on college campus'?) - a little practice with parents down the hall would be good for her!

• 3 weeks later...

I concur that there should be no reason why the girls at their ages could not be a few doors down. As others have said, you know your kids and what they can and cannot be trusted to do.

I was co-head chaperone for my DD's high school's band trip to Pasadena and with 200 kids in 50+ rooms, we did not even think about taping them in -- they had worked really, really hard for the opportunity; clearly knew what they could and could not do; and clearly understood the consequences of any rule breaking. Good kids, no problems. We had two kids who did not seem to think that the "stay in groups of at least three at ALL times" applied to them at one of the theme parks; so they got to spend the day at Disneyland with a chaperone (one kid, assigned each individually to separate chaperones) -- not fun for them -- and from what I heard not tons of fun for the chaperones either :).

Most teens really are pretty responsible.

We are booking a second room for our kids for the first time on our upcoming cruise on the Dream - we knew we would only make those arrangements if it was a balcony and interior room directly across the hall. Fortunately, we were able to find that availability. Now if my kids were 17 and 15, I don't think I would have an issue having them several doors down. Unless in everyday life I had to second guess trusting them. :)

Would you let your teens stay in a cabin by themselves if the cabin was 5 doors down? A friend has the chance to get a great aft cabin but the cabins next to it are not available.

We planned (in a group with Girls Scouts) to have myself & DH in OV cabin and 4 children ages; 15 (m), 12 (f), 9 (m), and 7(m) in inside cabin directly across hall. Mix up made both cabins next door (with only hall access). FYI - kids 1st cruise

I gave one new family rule for cruise; DO NOT ON OUTSIDE AREA OF SHIP IF SUN IS NOT OVER HEAD...man overboard will not help you and you will be shark food everyone understood. All stranger, privacy, personal space, etc family rules still apply.

Funny thing was we didn't have a concrete blanket curfew at home...each event (at that time) was decided on individual basis.

1st night we put 2 younger boys in with Avatar on at 10:30. Teens in teen club. Parents now next door in bed. Next afternoon at lunch another parent in group (we just met these folks...DD is not a Scout. We just tagged along. Friend of friend) asked if DS enjoyed his ice cream last night. We looked puzzled. :confused: She explained "at midnight buffet" and moved on to her table. We DS (9) came back to our table we asked about ice cream.

He (our serious reader, likes library more than ToyRUs) told story like this: We read the entire Fun Times (whole point of paper - midnight buffet on Lido deck) and DS (15) came to cabin at 10 p.m. & said I will come back to get you at 11:30. He did not come back to take them. (playing cards & forgot). At the stoke of 12 they decided to look for their older bro. They put on outfit setout for the next day. They did find older sis who said older bro went that way. My boys found the Lido deck, pizza, ice cream, and soda. After consuming the sugar assortment they pushed tray near a cabin a few doors down. DH and myself laughed together in silence with a look of confused disbelief.

I said all that to say...you know your child(ren). Ground rules start before the cruise. Down the hall should be find if you trust them to be respectful & responsible to themselves and others. Easy rule if someone knocks on door call your room 1st. Treat the ship like new house in new neighborhood. Don't stress it's a cruise. Just my 2 cents - mom to mom

I second what McFam5 stated:

Unless in everyday life I had to second guess trusting them

Many people start University before their 18th birthday where I am from and that is a whole lot scarier to this mom of 3 teenage daughters then having them 5 doors down on a cruise ship. Ours were 3 doors down from our aft when they were 17, 15 and 15 and we had no problems with them at all. You should check with the cruise line to make sure that it is ok first. We booked ours directly with Carnival and the agent had to get the ok from her supervisor before booking us 3 cabins from our teens.

Of course! Do they sleep in the same room as the parents at home :rolleyes:

Why would this be a problem?

I agree with this.

When I was in 8th grade, my grade went on a 3 night field trip to Washington D.C. (from Boston). I think about 75 students and maybe 10 chaperones went? So obviously many students were 5+ rooms away from a chaperone. No one got into any trouble! I don't see the big deal with putting responsible teenagers 5 rooms away.

When I was 17 I was in Europe on a band trip (I worked and saved for a full year for that trip. :) ), and we were allowed to roam free in Munich - we were told to be back at the appointed time in the appointed spot. There were 150+ of us, and 8 chaperones. We were all back on time (well, there were always a few stragglers, but they returned within 10 minutes or so past the deadline) with no problems.

If we - a bunch of 15-18 year olds - could handle Europe on our own where no one spoke the language, I'd be fairly confident that two level-headed girls such as the ones you described could handle being 50 feet down the hall.

Archived