Why do people care?

I work with corporate policies, so I have to deal with this sort of thing all the time. Probably why it drives me crazy: Either the rule needs to be enforced or get rid of it.

As for why we should keep the rule... From a larger perspecitive, if companies/society continues to cater to the lowest common denominator, even if it isn't the majority, then value, quality and the uniquness of our society will continue to be whitewashed until it becomes bland and lost.

Hear! hear!

My husband and two friends wore flip flops to dinner almost every night including formal night. All the men that saw them said they wished they had done that. Oh by the way they also had their tuxes on..to each his own. I just choose to not worry about what anybody else wears.

I thought I was the ONLY ONE to wear flip flops with a tux.

If it doesn't ruin your experience, why are you so up tight about it. You have your own standards, you get gussied up, but you don't wear tuxes and gowns. Yet you object to others having their standards that doesn't include tuxes and gowns, or even getting gussied up. If you would feel uncomfortable not dressing up on these nights, and opt for a more casual dinner somewhere else, that's your choice. If it doesn't ruin your experience, why would you want others, who don't feel uncomfortable, to eat elsewhere?

What do you mean, follow decorum?

I believe the "I'll do whatever I want" mentality is sometimes more preferable to the "if you don't do it my way, you should eat elsewhere" mentality.[/quote]

I've been off here for a while since I'm not cruising until Feb :(. But I have felt this way for a long time except that I'd say it's always more preferable.

the funny thing about this whole 13 page thread is that at least on the cruises I have been on (even a 3 night "party" cruise) 99% of the people seem to abide by the suggestion. I guess its that 1% that really stand out and cause huge debates like this lol :o

the funny thing about this whole 13 page thread is that at least on the cruises I have been on (even a 3 night "party" cruise) 99% of the people seem to abide by the suggestion. I guess its that 1% that really stand out and cause huge debates like this lol :o

So are they the 1%ers that everyone says should pay more in income taxes?:eek::eek:

If someone comes to the MDR on formal night dressed in t-shirt, shorts and flip flops, yes I care... I care that the dining room staff doesn't throw the bum out!

I agree 100% with this post. And it isn't just about caring about what others are wearing. Our society is degrading into a self-entitlement era. More and more people are becoming selfish. It shows in their dress, their kids behavior, etc. So yes, I do care about what others wear because having those self-entitled bums on board means having to deal with their selfish attitudes the entire cruise.

My son likes to wear jeans and a shirt of an evening on a cruise,it certainly doesn't mean that we paid so much for the cruise that we all can't afford something a bit more dressy:D his jeans cost at least $300-400 so its definitely nothing to do with money.

I do think dressing casual is a younger generation thing,jeans are worn to go shopping or go to a fancy restaurant these days,also with all the airline baggage restrictions packing that tux just for one evening seems a waste of valuable space to me:cool:

...also with all the airline baggage restrictions packing that tux just for one evening seems a waste of valuable space to me

You spend $300-400 on a pair of jeans and you quibble about an extra $25 for an additional piece of luggage.:confused::confused::confused:

Guess we have different priorities.

I dont own a suit. I do have a couple pairs of slacks and a bunch of nice button up shirts. I dont even know how to tie a tie. I think ties are the most idiotic piece of clothing someone could wear. Not only are they uncomfortable but they are dangerous. I wear jeans and a polo shirt to work every day. When I go to fancy restaurants I will wear some black slacks and a nice shirt but I NEVER wear a tie. And its too hot in Texas for jackets most of the time.

When I go out with my girl friend to a club or somewhere that dressing up is required I mostly wear a nice pair of dark jeans and a dress shirt untucked with a pair of cowboy boots or dress shoes depending on the place we are going. I also do not like tucking in my shirt. Why push clothing into another piece of clothing? Its not logical thinking to do this.

:cool:You know TEX, when I lived in Grapevine for 6 years, there were many of you guys around. Most were called GOAT ROPERS. Time to grow up and become a big boy, son:cool:

Most cruises we have been on have two formal nights, but we only dine at one of them, (I don't want to take a second set of formalwear with us). On the other formal night we will have dinner elsewhere, so that we don't distract from those who dress for the evening. What others wear or don't wear doesn't make the cruise for us.

:cool:You know TEX, when I lived in Grapevine for 6 years, there were many of you guys around. Most were called GOAT ROPERS. Time to grow up and become a big boy, son:cool:

I think I might have seen you there. Weren't you the one with the stick up your butt and the big long nose that you used to look down at people?

I would much rather eat dinner by/with someone dressed in jeans who knew how to behave than to eat it with/by someone dressed in a tux who was an obnixous lout. I guess I am hoping for Dave instead of Jack at my next table.

You spend $300-400 on a pair of jeans and you quibble about an extra $25 for an additional piece of luggage.:confused::confused::confused:

Guess we have different priorities.

Nope I didn't say I did:confused:my son likes to spend that on certain brands and you must have awfully cheap airline charges as for me to buy extra baggage is £30 each way!:eek:

Agreed. Like the old adage "My freedom to swing my fist ends where your face begins" (or something like that). People seem to think the freedom and self-expression is ONLY about them, but it is not. I have the freedom to not be uncomfortable or put out by your actions and visa-versa. Some people just don't know or care when their freedom to express themselves violates the freedom of others to enjoy themselves.
I think you are missing the point of the phrase "your right to swing your fist ends where my nose begins"

by Oliver Wendell Holmes, Jr.

He was making the point that you may do what you wish provided it doesn't infringe on anothers rights.

Sorry but someone dressing in a way you don't approve of is not taking away your rights.

Seems this thread has begun to be taken over by the traditionalists who believe the world should

operate on their desires rather then the Laissez-faire types who are more live and let live.

To quote another great American, BigKeith ,"Why do people care?" what others wear.;)

It is fine line, I agree, but there are certain mores in a civilized society. You do NOT have the right to stroll around naked even if that is what you want to do. That infringes on my right to protect my children, or myself, from being exposed to something that may very well be offensive. You do NOT have the right to drop the F-bomb as loud and often as you want in your conversation even if that is what you want to do for the same reason.

Dressing up (or not) on formal night does not bother me one bit. It would actually save room in my suitcase and I would welcome that. However, behavior in our society has degraded to a level that would have been considered uncivilized a century ago. And that is what I have an issue with.

I am all for Live and Let Live, but if your definition of living is offensive or makes me extremely uncomfortable, I will try to do something about it.

It is fine line, I agree, but there are certain mores in a civilized society. You do NOT have the right to stroll around naked even if that is what you want to do. That infringes on my right to protect my children, or myself, from being exposed to something that may very well be offensive. You do NOT have the right to drop the F-bomb as loud and often as you want in your conversation even if that is what you want to do for the same reason.

Dressing up (or not) on formal night does not bother me one bit. It would actually save room in my suitcase and I would welcome that. However, behavior in our society has degraded to a level that would have been considered uncivilized a century ago. And that is what I have an issue with.

I am all for Live and Let Live, but if your definition of living is offensive or makes me extremely uncomfortable, I will try to do something about it.

You seem to be confused on what is a right vs what you don't feel is appropriate. I don't have the right to walk around naked as I would be arrested. I do have the right to say what I want when I want. Just because you don't like it or find it offensive doesn't matter.

I'm not saying I walk around dropping f bombs or that I think its appropriate. However just because you don't like it doesn't mean I can't do it. Same with the dress code on ships. The cruise line allows people to dress how they want, just because it bothers someone else is irrelevant. If the cruise line was really bothered by it they would enforce their own dress code, but they don't.

And just because behavior today would have been considered "uncivilized" a decade ago means nothing. Back in the day women only wore long dresses that covered them from head to toe. Times have changed. That's just the way of the world. Change is the only constant.

And just because behavior today would have been considered "uncivilized" a decade ago means nothing. Back in the day women only wore long dresses that covered them from head to toe. Times have changed. That's just the way of the world. Change is the only constant.

Very well said.

I agree that times are changing and things have become more casual. However, I do think that when you are requested to dress a certain way for an event or occasion, you comply. When I cruise, I look at the dress code and I dress accordingly. I think an earlier poster said it well, "you either get it or you don't". I do understand that not everyone feels the same way.

And even though I believe that it is just good manners to follow a published dress code, I really don't care what others wear.

Imagine what he would say about those in suits with their "Pants on the ground"

Puritan.jpg

Black_Tie_Suit_Hire.jpg

Even folks on Cruise Critic have changed over the years. Several years ago this conversation would have been tuxedos vs. suits, with some people claiming suits were NOT appropriate formal cruise wear. I posted a photo on CC about 10 years ago of my husband and sons (19 and 21 years old), my husband in a suit and my sons in dress slacks, long sleeve dress shirts and ties and I was told we were disrespecting others and not following the rules. Now it seems people would approve of my son's apparel. On our last cruise in November I don't recall seeing more than a dozen tuxedos...maybe way less. I wonder what another 10 years will bring?

I agree 100% with this post. And it isn't just about caring about what others are wearing. Our society is degrading into a self-entitlement era. More and more people are becoming selfish. It shows in their dress, their kids behavior, etc. So yes, I do care about what others wear because having those self-entitled bums on board means having to deal with their selfish attitudes the entire cruise.

this. +1.

A poster before talked about the "younger generation" and wearing jeans to a fancy restaurant. This made me wonder what my 23 year old son would do if he was on a cruise. I was feeling smug when I asked (as I know how we brought him up) what he would wear on a formal nights dinner. I was floored by his answer. "Whatever my girlfriend says I should wear." Gotta love him no matter what age.

- one!

While I agree with part of what you say, the connection between being a "self-entitled bum" and not dressing up for formal night is tenuous at best.

Some of the most "self-entitled bums" I've met were dressed up. Sometimes the most plain dressed have been the highest quality people.

Sorry but clothes don't make the man or woman.

I have nice suits and I will take one with me and 2 sirts and 2 ties to have a different look each formal night. We like to get dressed and take the pictures, whether we puchase them or not. After dinner I go back to my room and put back into my regular clothes for the rest of the night. Personally I don't give a rats a** what everybody else is wearing and it never even cross my mind to say..."Look at them...they are not dressed properly"!

DITTO!! exactly what I was thinking....except I were a nice dress and not the shirt/tie...but other than that... :D

(where is the LIKE button..:p)

Archived