Why do people care?

I'm not afraid to admit im one of those people who do not dress up for dinner on those nights. I DO wear blue jeans to the dinner. I'm an average worker who works 60 hours a week and has to save dilligently to afford a cruise once a year. I'm also the same person who might wear the same shirt 3 nights in a row for dinner. Not all of us can afford $25 per bag to check them on the airlines, and we have to deal with carrying on our luggage. My vacation is not for me to impress you with what kind of suit i own or anything like that. I'm polite, honest and hardworking. And i'll bet that i sure tip all the employees on the cruiseline more than those in the suits do because i know what a dollar is worth and respect the person more than i do the clothes they wear. I'm sorry for the rant. But it is a touch subject when people on cruises do look down on you because you did not dress up. They dont know me, they just judge people on how they look and dress. I will still show up in jeans for dinner, and they will be clean, and i will have the time of my life regardless off the snobs who do give the stink eye to those who dont dress to their expectations.

Used to take my tux and dress in it on formal nights. Forgot to pack it on one cruise. Dressed in a dress shirt/pants and tie. Liked that better. Asked the maitre'd if he minded. Said he didn't.

So, now that's what I prefer. But, the girlfriend does make me take a sports coat for pictures.

I have no idea why anyone care's whether someone dresses formally or informally.

I'm not afraid to admit im one of those people who do not dress up for dinner on those nights. I DO wear blue jeans to the dinner. I'm an average worker who works 60 hours a week and has to save dilligently to afford a cruise once a year. I'm also the same person who might wear the same shirt 3 nights in a row for dinner. Not all of us can afford $25 per bag to check them on the airlines, and we have to deal with carrying on our luggage. My vacation is not for me to impress you with what kind of suit i own or anything like that. I'm polite, honest and hardworking. And i'll bet that i sure tip all the employees on the cruiseline more than those in the suits do because i know what a dollar is worth and respect the person more than i do the clothes they wear. I'm sorry for the rant. But it is a touch subject when people on cruises do look down on you because you did not dress up. They dont know me, they just judge people on how they look and dress. I will still show up in jeans for dinner, and they will be clean, and i will have the time of my life regardless off the snobs who do give the stink eye to those who dont dress to their expectations.

Vey Well Said!

referee-firstdown.gif

1st DOWN!

. But it is a touch subject when people on cruises do look down on you because you did not dress up.

Meh, I would NOT worry about that! I can almost guarantee you that the ONLY people that care about what you wear are not even on the cruise you are on but are a select few on this board aka the "fashion police"!

I usually wear suits during work but don't like to wear them during my vacation but in my opinion the dress code in the MDR during formel nights should be respected. I also don't like the idea to upset the majority of other guests around me who are usually well dressed up. Therefor, if we are on a cruise with a group of friends I'm always wearing a suit during formel nights in the MDR. During cruises with only the two of us we always enjoy a casual buffet in the Windjammer during formel nights.

Used to take my tux and dress in it on formal nights. Forgot to pack it on one cruise. Dressed in a dress shirt/pants and tie. Liked that better. Asked the maitre'd if he minded. Said he didn't.

Was this before or after you gave him his tip? ;):D

We've had tablemates who have commented on some pretty outrageous outfits that have paraded through the MDR. They aren't members of cruise critic and in fact had never heard of it.

So those that say that only members of this board would make comments about how others dress on cruises are wrong.

Fashion police aren't exclusive to this board.;) and if you wear pajama bottoms into the MDR you deserve to be critiqued.

and if you wear pajama bottoms into the MDR you are an idiot.

I agree 100 percent :p

I wasnt really speaking of "outrageous" outfits though. I was solely speaking of things that people fuss about here like jeans. I would almost bet a months paycheck that the MAJORITY of the passengers do NOT care if someone wears jeans or doesnt wear a tux or formal dress on formal night. ;)

Thats all Im saying.

I havent been on many cruises but I ALWAYS go to the MDR and I ALWAYS sit at the largest tables available and I have never, ever heard anyone comment on what others wear.

I agree 100 percent :p

I wasnt really speaking of "outrageous" outfits though. I was solely speaking of things that people fuss about here like jeans. I would almost bet a months paycheck that the MAJORITY of the passengers do NOT care if someone wears jeans or doesnt wear a tux or formal dress on formal night. ;)

Thats all Im saying.

I havent been on many cruises but I ALWAYS go to the MDR and I ALWAYS sit at the largest tables available and I have never, ever heard anyone comment on what others wear.

I agree, most people aren't going to let what others wear affect their cruise in any way. I have no problem with jeans in the MDR. I am someone who wears a dress and heels every night of my cruise to dinner. Why? Because I want to

and it makes me feel good. My husband likes it as well.

So I guess I don't really follow the suggested dress code either (don't dress casually on casual nights) so who am I to tell anyone else how to dress.

As far as people commenting on what others are wearing, I have always considered that to be bad manners.

I think that comes under the common sense heading, just like having long hair around rotating machinery. We are discussing the MDR on a cruise ship.

Why did you not quote my entire post? Did I not state that I understand my examples had nothing to do with formal night on a cruise ship? Although the issue of ties carrying around a few bacteria might just apply anywhere.

How about this:

Everyone dresses as they choose on formal night.

And those who choose not to dress up on said formal night get eaten first by the others in the lifeboat!

The ones not dressed formally will most likely make it to the lifeboats first. The boats may be long gone before the other show up.

why does it really matter what other people wear

I'm pretty relaxed in this department but do understand why some folks might get miffed.

1. Respect. They post a requested/suggested/whatever dress code. In some ways it shows respect for your fellow passengers to comply.

2. Atmosphere. This is a "you get it or you don't" item. Some people feel that the atmosphere of the restaurant has an effect on the overall enjoyment of the overall dining experience. Imagine if you were served your favorite meal from [insert name of your favorite fancy restaurant] in the local McDonalds, eating out of a Styrofoam clam shell container, sitting on the hard Fiberglas bench, in front of a Formica table, under the bright, harsh florescent lights. Many feel that the meal eaten in such an environment would be less enjoyable, even though the food might be identical. And the fellow diners are part of the atmosphere.

On this I think the best answer overall is live and let live, but I do understand some of the reasons why some people get p!ssed off.

I care because the cruise company very clearly states the dress code rules before you book. If you feel that you can not or will not follow the dress code rules, you are not welcome and should book on a cruise that has rules that you like - like the Staten Island Ferry.

DON

I care because the cruise company very clearly states the dress code rules before you book. If you feel that you can not or will not follow the dress code rules, you are not welcome and should book on a cruise that has rules that you like - like the Staten Island Ferry.

DON

Not welcome? Hm. I wouldn't go that far. And aren't they suggested dress codes, not "rules". Or at least that's how I've read them to be. And the Staten Island Ferry...really?

DON

How are they not welcome? People dress as they want and for the most part the cruise lines allow it so clearly they are welcome.

On the same hand I could say those that want to see dressed up people should pay to be on an upper tier cruise line where everyone dresses in tuxedos and evening gowns. See how that works both ways.

But since we know neither of these things are going to happen the only option is to deal with what it is and move on.

DON

Where does in say that on the RCI website, brochures, or cruise contract? It is all about who RCI's welcomes, not you.

My husband and two friends wore flip flops to dinner almost every night including formal night. All the men that saw them said they wished they had done that. Oh by the way they also had their tuxes on..to each his own. I just choose to not worry about what anybody else wears.

I can definitely see both sides on this issue. I like to dress up. DH does not, and we accept each other's preferences. Yes, he wears suits to weddings funerals, when traveling for work, etc. When on vacation, nice jeans and a button down long sleeve shirt are about as far as he wants to go.

While I understand that first impressions are important, how a person behaves when I first meet him/her has a much greater impact than what he/she is wearing. Although I am fairly new to cruising (only 3 to date), it seems that people from many different areas of the world and walks of life love to cruise for various reasons. Standards of dress may be very different, but hopefully manners are somewhat universal. Maybe there are a lot of people out there who claim the main reason to cruise is so they can go to a Formal dinner. It seems to me that there are plenty of formal restaurants on land if that is one's goal. Sorry, I'm sure as a newbie I will get flamed for my opinions. :o

On the RCI website it says: "suggested guidelines. " This is no way says RULES. This is each individuals choice to dress formal or not. I am doing it for the fun and excitement and I don't care what anyone else wears. Those who feel its the law....check your brochure again. There is no wording at all that says you must dress formal to eat in the MDR. IF this was so they wouldn't let people who didn't dress up come in. I think most of us on the board say wear what ya want....IT IS YOUR VACATION! We have too many rules in life in general from work...to driving...relationships...

etc. A cruise is about relaxing and having a good time and that's what I plan to do on mine. If your wearing jeans on formal night I may just have to come over in my formal dress and heels and high five ya for doing things on your vacation YOUR own way!

And I agree with the person that said jeans and Polo's are dressing up nowadays. We live in the real world and not on a runway! Comfort is a top priority for fashion...not just looking good!

The OP asked why people care ... dress topic is a hot topic on CC... 9 out of 10 times, the OP who posts the question is asking if it is "ok" not to dress up; "ok" to wear jeans; "ok to _______(fill in the blank). It is almost as if they are asking permission to do their own thing/dress down/ or not care for the standard suggested dress. That is when the topic becomes a "hot button". Usually they are not happy with the common answer and probably do their own thing anyway. And so it goes on and on.

Someone posts if it is "ok"...and then the avalanche begins of opinions. Oh well. Nothing gets solved or changed. I hope everyone has a nice cruise and is able to enjoy their dinners, formals, slouchwear, flip flops, or heels and not make a statement one way or the other.

I think the formal nights on recent cruises have still seemed like special evenings. Most people made more of an effort in how they dressed that night, not that not that most people dress in a traditional formal way. I think the super casual dressers are still far outnumbered.

My husband wears a suit and I wear a dress I don't have a lot of use for at home and we enjoy the formal nights. I feel what other people wear is up to them and hope they are having a good time, too. My cruises are long awaited and just a week long and I don't spend much time on what other people wear.

Archived