Venice - Gondola Ride

SSLaly

Just wanted to come back and post!!! We did the gondola ride, and it was amazing!! definetely a must do! We paid $80 Euros for about 30-35 minutes. I thinks it's something you need to do at least once. I did it with my friends, maybe next time if I go with a boyfriend, then I will do it again! :) it was great!!!

Just wanted to come back and post!!! We did the gondola ride, and it was amazing!! definetely a must do! We paid $80 Euros for about 30-35 minutes. I thinks it's something you need to do at least once. I did it with my friends, maybe next time if I go with a boyfriend, then I will do it again! :) it was great!!!

We also just returned and also did the godola ride. As you mentioned, the fixed price is 80 Euros for 30 minutes and 120 Euros for 45 minutes. We did the 45 minute ride, that actually turned out to be about an hour.

To those looking to do this, I recommend going further in to Venice and away from the heavily trafficked San Marco area. We hired our gondola in front of the Frari church in the S. Polo district. The canals were free of other traffic and gondolas and it was very peaceful. We loved it!

I don't know how but when we were there last month we did not find the time to take a gondola ride. :eek: I think I made the mistake of planning to do it the first evening and we were pushing 30 hours being up and never made it that night.

At least now I have one more reason for going back. :D

Bill

My sister-in-law and friends took a gondola ride and thought it way too much money and also pretty "hokey". So, my husband and I (who spent 3 days in Venice) decided to skip it and just take the number 1 vaporetta which traverses the length of the grand canal. For (I think) six euros each we rode for one hour and did the entire canal twice. Just make sure you get on one away from the San Marco stop.

That is something I just can't get myself to do, pay $110 for a 45 minute ride but hey, I am cheap!

is it 80E per person or divided between the 6 passengers?

also they look tippy-I am not so graceful- especially getting into a boat-how does that work? does the gondolier assist you?

hate to spend the rest of the day or evening water-logged...

We stayed at the Hotel Ala near St Marks square. Thoroughly recommend it.

http://www.hotelala.it/index.asp

They have an arrangement with the local gondola place for about 40 euros per person IIRC they do a gondola ride for about 1 hour with singing. You do share up to 6 in a gondola though.

The hotel also has a tie-up with a great restaurant (Raffaele) which has a nice canal-side location (and 10% discount!) http://www.hotelala.it/ristoranteDaRaffaele.htm

We spent a lovely 5th Wedding anniversary there.

The normal price is €80 for 30 minutes, for the whole gondola whether there are two, three or six of you, although singing is extra. And you get to choose who you share with. So depending on what you're looking for, the hotel's package could be a good deal if you don't mind sharing with strangers.

The normal price is €80 for 30 minutes, for the whole gondola whether there are two, three or six of you, although singing is extra. And you get to choose who you share with. So depending on what you're looking for, the hotel's package could be a good deal if you don't mind sharing with strangers.

We got lucky and ended up sharing with two young English girls doing a tour of Europe. They were very pleasant and kept themselves to themselves but were very happy to take pictures of us enjoying our 5th Wedding Anniversary.

The hotel even changed our reservation at the restaurant to accommodate our gondola ride.

The hotel also upgraded us to the top suite - result! :D

Archived