Have any UK residents ever booked direct through the USA?

UKLady

I don't think OV would be my cup of tea, either, but I'm curious. I stumbled on a site once that was run by a UK agency. It listed several cruise lines I hadn't heard of or don't sail US waters. If their prices are comparable to Princess, then perhaps some of the problems you have vis-a-vis pricing are market-driven or perhaps even subject to trade restrictions. If Princess' prices in the UK are significantly higher, you'd think market forces would bring their costs down. Too much regulation can stifle competition, however. I'm just speculating - I don't pretend to understand the laws that might govern these types of transactions.

Me to Peter I would like details - I am determined to beat this I just wish prices were out so that I could have a try.

Just for the record even last year when I was trying to price a princess cruise most of the online sites insisted on a us address.

Jo

We're the same we dont fancy Ocean Village even though its marketed as a younger ship (Im 30 and Kev is 25)

P&O Cruises are a slighly older crowd and in the past have had a bit of bad press

Our first cruise was with Princess and thats who we naturally went to for our subsequent cruises

I have done a quick comparison of costs through and online UK agent and for a 15 day cruise round the Carribean flying from UK to Barbados, outside cabin lowest deck, I was given the following quotes.

P&O - £1449 Ocean Village - £1483 Princess - £1728

Cruises are becoming more of a common holiday option in the UK but they are still pretty highly priced - Princess usually being the highest.

Our point is, that for those 'in the know' so to speak we could book via a US agent and save on cruise prices. However, Princess have put a stop to it saying that no US agents can take bookings from UK passengers.

We have flights and transfers to consider yes, however we are paying a lot more for our rooms than anyone else.

If I want to upgrade my inside booking to an outside its going to cost me £450 each, however, if I was a US resident the difference would be £150 each and I would be getting a higher grade room. Upgrades should be the same price for everyone regardless of where they live.

[quote name='phillipahain']We have a lot of USA friends that we cruise with and we have travelled back and forth to the USA for years even have USA bank account etc

I can assure all USA folks on this board that incomes in UK are DEFINITELY not higher than the USA

Mostly our salaries are half of the USA and our taxes are much higher especially sales tax which although included generally in prices is a whopping 17.5%
Our housing is a major cost with the average house in the UK now being $350,000 and that in most of the south of England would be a 1 bedroom apartment and rents for same would be over $1000 a month

The majority of UK people cruising will be those whose children have left home and the mortgage is finished or those who have inherited money as a result of parents dying

Of course their will be some high earners who can afford to cruise but the rest will be ordinary folk who dont spend out on other things

I only ever buy groceries in the UK ........clothes, fabrics, shoes etc etc i buy in the USA because they are way way cheaper[/QUOTE]

You have to remember that it's hard to compare the average cost of housing as it can be so diverse over here in the US. Up until 6 years ago I lived in NY and now live in Naples, Florida. The average cost of living and housing on LI was very high and down here in Naples it is also very high, espeically compared to alot of Florida. Our housing market is about the same as yours as is the rental price. Your taxes may be higher, but I do believe you do receive more than we do for the taxes. I know my relatives get health insurance in Denmark, do you in the UK? We don't get any health insurance here as part of the taxes we pay. And when we lived in NY we paid a tremedous amount of taxes, I don't consider losing 40% of my pay nothing. How about property tax, do you pay that. We paid $12,000 per year when we lived in NY and luckily don't pay that here.
I'm sorry that you are charged more for cruises, I agree it's not fair.

I'm absolutely gutted!! Have just heard back from my US TA. Basically, I've just had it confirmed that this person will no longer be able to take bookings from British passengers. Apparently a US address won't work either as Princess can look at the cruise personalizer for the correct address and require proof of citizenship when boarding. I truly believe that if there were a way around it, then my TA would do it.

Globaliser... if I win the lottery... then I will be the first to bend your ear on the merits of pursuing a case against Princess of 'indirect race (nationality) discrimination'.

I don't want to sail on another line... I don't want to go with RCI, P&O etc. I want to sail with Princess and I would like the opportunity of getting a fair deal. I'm not getting that if I am restricted to using a UK Agent. I've been there, done that... had an inside cabin, paying double what my friends across the pond have paid for a balcony. Gosh I sound like a toddler having a tantrum. Good job none of you can 'see' that I'm lying on the floor, kicking my feet!!

I suppose I'd better make the most of my forthcoming cruise in July. If may well be my last. :(

What now... any suggestions.

Laura

That's really bad news, Laura. Maybe it's time to vote with your wallets. Put some market pressure on them.

And thanks, UK Lady, for checking on the prices. I assume that those included round-trip air to Barbados. I looked at a couple of the Princess cruises and believe it or not, the cruise-only prices for a Cat C from FLL were only about 100GBP lower using a 1.90 exchange rate (that's roughly $3200). I looked at November and January sailings.

Hi All Just read with concern about booking a cruise through the US. We have book our Cruise about 6 months ago from Australia though a friend in the US. We have our intinerary ,reciepts of Deposits etc and are required to pay in full in the next couple of months. Nothing was said about not being able to board the ship. We have booked and paid our deposit for the cruise. booked our own flights and also tours. Is this just a recent thing or does it apply to those who have already booked. With only 5 months to go I am now a bit worried and dont want to go to board the ship only to be told we cant get on.
Bob

[QUOTE]believe it or not, the cruise-only prices for a Cat C from FLL were only about 100GBP lower using a 1.90 exchange rate (that's roughly $3200). [/QUOTE]

The only trouble here in the UK is that the price you commit to at the time of booking, is the price you pay at the end. Even is the fare drops or goes on special, Princess UK will not honour the new price to existing bookings - even 12 months from sailing. Only new bookings will benefit. Neither can we cancel and rebook unless we forfeit our deposits. Our deposits are typically 10% of the cruise price. This would apply even if we changed our minds the day after booking... you still lose the deposit. Obviously, in the US 'generally' if the fare drops before final payment falls due, then the TA will often pass on the price reduction to the customer. You also have the advantage of being able to cancel and switch sailings without penalty (before final payment).

Laura

Maybe we can start an "Adopt-a-Brit" club and become legal guardians for you. :)

Or, on a more serious note, could it be possible to arrange a booking through a US couple going on the same cruise? The US couple takes care of the arrangements and payments, using funds sent from overseas. It could work, but would require an high level of trust, obviously.

Aussie Bob - I think it only applies to new bookings

Laura - I am currently writing to Princess in the UK and USA I know one letter wont make much difference but I still think we should let them know we're not happy.

I subscribe to the Holiday Which magazine and I have contacted them as they have a free legal holiday scheme someone will phone me in the next few days. Thought it was at least worth asking if there way anything we could do - probably not I know but its worth a go. I am also going to write to the editor and see if he is interested in the story - you never know!

It may be worth writing to watchdog or something similar but it would require a number of us to contact them for them to take note and ask the right people the right questions.

Or like Spongerob says its time stop booking with Princess. However, most of our alternatives are in the same carnival group so they will still be getting our money!!

Spongerob I think its really nice that you are taking such an interest in our troubles. I think your adoption scheme would only work if you were sharing a room and therefore only one person was required to book.
Nice idea though! :D

Thanks guys for that info. I could just see myself standing at the port waving goodbye to all my friends because they would let me on board. Hope you have some good luck with your bookings
Bob

Bob, you said you booked through friends in the US. Did they make all the arrangements for you, including payments? Your post is along the lines of my idea - it just hadn't popped up when I made my comments. For some, anyway, this could be a work-around.

Ok so it looks like Princess have won so we have to pay top prices or stay in inside cabins.

So what now?

What cruise companies are of a similar standing if not better?

I have been looking at Royal Carribean and Celebrity they dont look too bad has anyone every sailed on them?

Good evening everyone.

I am now totally confused! I e-mailed my travel agent in the US and she tells me that she continues to have no problems booking UK residents on cruises. This agent has recently booked our Celebrity cruise and there is no problem with that line.

I previously used the same TA as Laura and thought my days of booking Princess in the US were over - apparently not if I use my new TA who also quotes good prices.

CJSKids - we do have a National Health Service, but this is separately funded, not from our taxes, but from National Insurance payments, deducted from our salaries. We do also have property taxes, vehicle taxes and extremely high taxes on fuel (about $1.50 per litre!!!).

Spongerob - if you join the Adopt-A-Brit programme I am available!!!

Lynne

I think we use the same TA like Laura (the one woman show), she told us a few days ago, when we wanted to book a cruise for next year:
[QUOTE]... I mentioned before we are not allowed anymore to sell
outside the US and Canada through Princess. I was told to stop about 3
months ago. You have to be a resident of the US or Canada otherwise you
have to go through Princess International over there. A lot of people
are upset about this. ... [/QUOTE]
We do have an US address, US Circle membership-number, open bookings in US $ with this TA.

I believe that her business volume with Princess is so big, that she is afraid to be kicked off, if she continues taking bookings from Europe and Princess notice this.

We are very angry about this kind of discrimination :mad: , because like you all we do not want to pay much more for a cruise, like the Americans.
A few years ago we made the same experience with Princess when our old TA mentioned to Princess that we live in Europe. She was not allowed to book a cruise for us any more. At this time we changed our US TA.
When we booked a cruise we always gave our US address to Princess, after final payment we changed the address in the cruise personalizer, because we moved from the US to Europe.

Now we have to look for US TA who will take our bookings again, in order to save a lot of money.

It is the same with their Circle membership, you can only take part if you are resident of the US or Canada. All other people do not get the benefits. When we cruised with NCL and RCCL it was no problem to become a member of their club. They pay no attention if you are from the US or Europe, if you made a cruise with their line, you will become a member of their past passenger programme.

[QUOTE]I am now totally confused! I e-mailed my travel agent in the US and she tells me that she continues to have no problems booking UK residents on cruises. [/QUOTE]
Lynne,

I agree it is confusing. I made a few enquiries yesterday with a number of American online TAs (some of whom actually state on their website they will take international bookings) to see if they would accept a 'Princess' booking from the UK. I don't think there is the same problem with other cruiselines so I don't 'think' there is a problem with the likes of Celebrity. Of the three I contacted, two said "No" and the third said it was fine. I actually rang the last Travel Agent to investigate further, asking how it was possible they could make the booking when others could not... had they heard of the new rules... and the possibility of UK passengers getting turned away at the pier. They knew nothing of this and HAD I pursued a booking, it would have been made in the same way that it was of old. I was therefore very wary and asked them to look into it further and get back to me by email. I've heard nothing and have now come to the conclusion that they have been advised of the 'new' policy and don't want to touch me with a barge pole.

I don't doubt that some US TAs will, with good intention, say they can make these bookings - the problem, I suspect, is that many of them are not aware of the changes. I respect the information I have been given by my current TA and unless someone else can give me a cast-iron guarantee that I won't subsequently encounter a problem, I would urge great caution to anyone before proceeding with a new booking through Princess in the US.

funoncruises
It is very frustrating. I feel like I am losing a friend with my US TA. I couldn't agree more about the Captain's Circle. I have two numbers (both UK and US membership). I've referred about a 20 Brits to Princess but have never been able to take advantage of the 'referral programme'. That doesn't necessarily bother me (the cashback for doing so) but it does seem a bit unfair.

Laura
PS: Lynne... Spongerobs mine... hands off!! :D

[quote name='spongerob']Bob, you said you booked through friends in the US. Did they make all the arrangements for you, including payments? Your post is along the lines of my idea - it just hadn't popped up when I made my comments. For some, anyway, this could be a work-around.[/QUOTE]

Hi All after reading all the comments but being reassured that our booking is ok because it was booked many months I made inquiry with our friend in the US who organised it for us and this was both his response plus the TA response…

Our Friend in the US Response!!!
Just spoke to princess customer assistance, they told me as long as a travel agent cross references that someone in another country is travelling with someone from the U.S. there is no problem. The travel agents have their ways of doing these things ,even though you may not be travelling with a family member or friend from the U.S. they do not have to be in the same cabin, or anything like that. Susan is pretty sharp in handling these kind of matters. Hope all of the information that you received helps you feel better. Have a great day ,Paul

TAs Response….
Where are you reading this??????? We have had not had any problems. When the online immigration form is filled out correctly with their correct citizenship, there are no problems. The problem comes when they fill out the immigration form as US citizens.
Remember, we had to give Princess the home address of all credit cards and they accepted them. The would not sent the pre cruise document directly outside of the country, but they did not say that they could not accept the credit card with a British or Australian address.

I feel a little relieved now and Believe we should be ok. But not to sure what will happen the next time we try to book Sydney to San Francisco in 2007

Bob

Starting to wish I hadnt started this thread ;)

What is the difference between the Captains Circle membership that the US get as compared to UK - I thought they were the same

For those of you who have two captains numbers, when I asked Princess what happens if I book via the US, they said you will get a different number however you can combine your cruises on the one number. They may tell you on ship etc that you cannot however Tim Roberts who is the UK Captains Circle Director has said that you can. So even if you do have to start booking through UK at least you can put your US booked cruises on your membership now. One step closer to nice shampoo bottles :D

Bob - thanks. If I understand the two comments you posted, there wouldn't be a problem if, for example, Laura wanted to join us on a cruise and I made two bookings with my TA. All I would have to do is provide the credit card info for Laura on their booking, they would be charged, and the docs would come to me. All would be well, no immigration problems or anything.

If I'm right (sometimes that happens) then all we would have to do is partner up our overseas friends with a US couple and book away. Shoot, we might even help foster better international relations! :)

Debbie,

The British Captain's Circle membership numbers are different from those issued in the US. However, as you've said, you [b]can[/b] combine the total number of cruises taken (from both) - but typically you can only do this by going to see the Captain's Circle rep when you board the ship. We've never had a problem with this. The good news is that this does mean that all the cruises you have ever taken with Princess are accounted for when looking at the various perks of gold, platinum, elite status. In fact they also allowed me to include 2 cruises taken many years ago with P&O.

Where you fall foul of booking through the US and having a US Captain's Circle number is that you are not allowed to take advantage of some of the other benefits of membership.

For example
[QUOTE]Share up to $100 when you refer new customers... ... as a valued Circle Member, we are grateful to you for recommending Princess to your friends and relatives. So we are pleased to reward you for it – with Referral Rewards from Princess. There's no catch – and you don’t have to sail together.[/QUOTE]

I am not allowed to do this. I can live with that. No point in sweating about the small stuff.

Rob/Bob,

It sounds that this approach may have some merit. Thank you for batting for our side.

Laura

Laura - stuff like that doesnt bother me either - nice shampoo bottles on elite membership thats what I aspire to haha

Well Spongerob looks like your going to have lots of UK friends ;)

I can just see cruise critic now its going to have lots of threads saying

Want to cruise in Ocotober need US adoption please help
or
Book my cruise - Ill buy your booze

UK Lady I am glad you started this thread, this subject makes me really angry and needs a good airing and I havn't even cruised Princess yet. I am starting to research Carnival just in case everything for Princess falls apart. As much as I desire to sail the Princess Line, I will not pay more just because of my nationality, as a previous poster voiced that is discrimination and I don't do discrimination.

Jo

Laura

This new TA has actually made a booking with Princess for some friends of our within the last week. There is no problem with the booking, all details are correct - no shady business and Princess have been advised that the booking is for UK residents. :confused:

Does anyone know if this policy has also been extended to Australian cruisers? I know they had similar problems to us.

Maybe we can get Cruise Critic to set up a whole new section for adoptions.
Adopt a Brit
Adopt an Aussie
Adopt a German
etc

Lynne

Archived