RCCL..print your own luggage tags?

Yes, I agree about the changing of cabins on the Rapsody. That's just wrong. I will be interesting to see what RCCL does to correct it....if anything at all.

Yes, Carnival may currently have this practice in place and it my save money but in my opinion Carnival and RCCL are two very different cruise lines. I have cruised with Carnival 4 times and RCCL 30 times. There is a reason I prefer RCCL. I do not want to sound like a snob but RCCL provides more of what I am looking for in a cruise experience. If RCCL wants to remain a more elite cruise line (in my opinion) then following Carnival's make your own luggage tags practice does the opposite.

Why should I have the added expense and effort to go anywhere to have my luggage tags laminated to make them durable? RCCL's rate's in most cases are usually higher than Carnivals. I think that increased rate should provide durable luggage tags.

I would not have any problem with having durable tags attached by the porter at the port. They could save on mailing costs with that concept.....but having me make and provide my own durable tags....is unacceptable in my opinion.

What about persons who do not have access to a computer or printer? Yes, they are out there. Two of my table mates (elderly couple) on a past cruise had to go and pay to have their documents printed out for them. This really will just be a added burden and expense. Self serve is not always a good thing.

If someone doesn't have access to the internet how do they print their boarding passes? Lots local libraries allow people to use the internet for free. Other places you can use computers for a small fee. People make this more of a big deal than it is. Its a way for all cruise lines to save money without impacting your vacation.

Just thinking, could you get a tyvek envelope, print the tags on that and then just cut them out?

i suppose, if it would run through the printer...but the way that they come out, you fold the paper and it makes it thicker....

i think just plain paper, and clear packing tape around it is fine....

It takes about 15 seconds to fill out one of the blank ones that the porters hand out. I don't really get what the big deal is. I've done several times when I've changed my cabin number after I've already had luggage tags issued.

I don't know that I'd even bother printing them out as long as they still offer the option of getting one from the porters.

What about persons who do not have access to a computer or printer? Yes, they are out there. Two of my table mates (elderly couple) on a past cruise had to go and pay to have their documents printed out for them. This really will just be a added burden and expense. Self serve is not always a good thing.

Yep there are those people that have no computer or printer access. However those people most likely have booked with a TA, so the TA can take care of this for them. Of course they could a´lso have booked on the phone. But they would need to order the papaer docs anyway, as they have no chance to print the Set Sail pass either, so they need paper docs and I´m pretty sure with paper docs they will still get luggage tags.

Yep it´s an added expense for them, or you could see it the other way round and say those doing it all online get a discount;)

Darn, I will miss getting those luggage tags, when they arrive (mine just did three days ago!) it is your signal that you don't have much longer until you are on board one of those wonderful ships being pampered and enjoying a hard earned vacation!!

Like many have mentioned, don't sweet the small stuff, if this sames them a few $$ go for it, we can print them ourselves or as mentioned fill one out with one of the luggage porters at the port.

No worries mun........

I don't think anyone will let the end of luggage tags ruin their cruise but they will be missed. To many of us, their arrival has become a celebratory moment marking the nearing of the cruise. It's more than just a tag and it's pretty damn convenient so go easy and those of us that will miss them.

Just thinking, could you get a tyvek envelope, print the tags on that and then just cut them out?

Not sure if standard inkjet ink will even dry on Tyvek. Anyone else know? You may still have to laminate Tyvek somehow, as inkjet ink is water soluble, and would likely wash off of Tyvek very easily.

I don't think anyone will let the end of luggage tags ruin their cruise but they will be missed. To many of us, their arrival has become a celebratory moment marking the nearing of the cruise. It's more than just a tag and it's pretty damn convenient so go easy and those of us that will miss them.

We just got our luggage tags yesterday and now it feels like we are going on the cruise:D

Yes, I agree about the changing of cabins on the Rapsody. That's just wrong. I will be interesting to see what RCCL does to correct it....if anything at all.

Yes, Carnival may currently have this practice in place and it my save money but in my opinion Carnival and RCCL are two very different cruise lines. I have cruised with Carnival 4 times and RCCL 30 times. There is a reason I prefer RCCL. I do not want to sound like a snob but RCCL provides more of what I am looking for in a cruise experience. If RCCL wants to remain a more elite cruise line (in my opinion) then following Carnival's make your own luggage tags practice does the opposite.

Why should I have the added expense and effort to go anywhere to have my luggage tags laminated to make them durable? RCCL's rate's in most cases are usually higher than Carnivals. I think that increased rate should provide durable luggage tags.

I would not have any problem with having durable tags attached by the porter at the port. They could save on mailing costs with that concept.....but having me make and provide my own durable tags....is unacceptable in my opinion.

Lol, you cant afford a printer? Maybe its time to not sail the econolines like rccl if printing your own luggage tags is such a big deal. Pay less, get less. Seems fair

After reading I did a search, and instead of laminating you can actually buy a holder for the tags.http://www.*******************.com/luggage-tags/cruise-luggage-tag-holder.html

And the reason that you cannot use the actual name???

It sounds like a great idea, and I just googled it, and if you put search "Cruise luggage tag holders".........it will pop up, actually thru Amazon as well as the original source.:)

Rick

Lol, you cant afford a printer? Maybe its time to not sail the econolines like rccl if printing your own luggage tags is such a big deal. Pay less, get less. Seems fair

If you re-read their post, they were mentioning that SOME people, not necessarily themselves, may not have internet access, or even own a computer or printer. I actually know people that don't own a cell phone...my mother is one of them.:eek:

If you asked my mother-in-law to print and fold her own luggage tags, she'd be lost. She does own a computer and can sort-of use it. My father in law couldn't find the power switch on a computer, let alone do anything with it, so yes, there are some people that are NOT tech savvy.

If you re-read their post, they were mentioning that SOME people, not necessarily themselves, may not have internet access, or even own a computer or printer. I actually know people that don't own a cell phone...my mother is one of them.:eek:

If you asked my mother-in-law to print and fold her own luggage tags, she'd be lost. She does own a computer and can sort-of use it. My father in law couldn't find the power switch on a computer, let alone do anything with it, so yes, there are some people that are NOT tech savvy.

I work in IT and sometimes I wish I didn't own a cell phone or computer.:(

I work in IT and sometimes I wish I didn't own a cell phone or computer.:(

I'm "fortunate" enough to not be very important, so when I go on vacation, I can easily turn off the computer and phone!:D

then those people would need to get others to help them. We can't stay in the stone ages just because some can't use technology or have everybody pay more because some people can't print something.

I mean some people are illiterate ..does that mean we need employees everywhere reading stuff out loud or documents to people on the phone?

asking people to press print is not really asking too much.

I have a 4 day trip on the Monarch booked for May 28th of this year. I also have a 7 nighter booked on the Freedom on June 3rd.

Funny thing is Royal is mailing me luggage tags for the Monarch cruise, :)but i got a page in my edocs for the Freedom on how to print luggage tags.:confused:

Whatever!:D

I just discovered that my docs are ready on the royal site for my upcoming cruise in May. While luggage tags are still available for the cruise (not for me though as I´m not from the US / Canada, but the button to order them is there) and I didn´t get the mail as the OP, the new self print luggage tags are within the docs.

I printed one to test how they look like and how sturdy they are.

I´ve printed them on regular paper. You fold the sheet four times to make it the tag, so this will make your luggage tag 5 layers of paper. Sure they can be torn off, but they are quite sturdy. I´ve used the same thing on Princess a few times already and they make it just a three layer one. No problems with them so far and I don´t expect a problem with RCI.

I was skeptical of the home printed luggage tags for a Princess cruise but...they stayed on.

Rick I noticed the link after displaying it and have no answer as to why it wouldn't display the full name, then worried I might have posted something not allowed. Amazon seemed to be charging more.

Nope.......you are OK with telling everyone the name, even spelling it out.

I will be ordering 10 of these holders, and 5 with the standard 6 inch holders, and 5 with the 9 inch holders.

You can print your tags with ink jet printers, and these vinyl holders will keep them dry.

You don't need to worry about laminating them, or bringing a stapler, or having the hotel bellman find one for you.........they are good, as see them, and will be trying them out next month, even tho we have the regular luggage tags.

I may buy a couple of thousand, and give them out at a very discounted rate.........just to get people to try them..........here and on other lines as well!:D

Rick

Rick i have the site bookmarked in my favorites on AOl so for our next cruise when RCL decides to open up the dates to Australia, I am seriously considering getting them. In regards to the site link I posted, it put up the X's ? but was still able to go to it. I really liked the idea of the holders to protect the luggage tags whether printed out or if sent to us.

Archived