RCCL..print your own luggage tags?

Just got a email from RCCL for a July cruise stating that they will no longer send out luggage tags. I will have to print out tags (in color) from their site, staple ends together and attach to my luggage. Really? Just how do they expect tags made of regular typing paper to stay on? This is insane!

Has anyone else gotten this email? What's next? I am sure that they would make us transport all our luggage on the ship, if they did not need to xray it for alcohol or irons. May be they will place a timer on the shower to limit water useage, make us reuse towels or make us pay for ice in our cabins.

I feel that we as RCCL cruisers should call RCCL's customer service and voice our opinion on this new change in not sending our durable luggage tags. I certainly am.

it is the same as it is on Carnival and other lines..

you can print them...take them to staples or someplace and laminate..or buy laminating sheets...or just wrap them in plain packing tape..

it is really NOT that big of a deal....i've used the ones from CCL with no issue...and i have made my own in the past....

voice your opinion as you wish...but they're saving money..and that's all that matters to the stockholders...

sometimes people have to choose their battles and while this may seem like a pain to some, there are others who got kicked out of cabins they booked when Rhapsody got upgraded and they renumbered cabins....

THAT is a battle that needs to be fought...self-serve luggage tags, not so much

I just discovered that my docs are ready on the royal site for my upcoming cruise in May. While luggage tags are still available for the cruise (not for me though as I´m not from the US / Canada, but the button to order them is there) and I didn´t get the mail as the OP, the new self print luggage tags are within the docs.

I printed one to test how they look like and how sturdy they are.

I´ve printed them on regular paper. You fold the sheet four times to make it the tag, so this will make your luggage tag 5 layers of paper. Sure they can be torn off, but they are quite sturdy. I´ve used the same thing on Princess a few times already and they make it just a three layer one. No problems with them so far and I don´t expect a problem with RCI.

Yes, I agree about the changing of cabins on the Rapsody. That's just wrong. I will be interesting to see what RCCL does to correct it....if anything at all.

Yes, Carnival may currently have this practice in place and it my save money but in my opinion Carnival and RCCL are two very different cruise lines. I have cruised with Carnival 4 times and RCCL 30 times. There is a reason I prefer RCCL. I do not want to sound like a snob but RCCL provides more of what I am looking for in a cruise experience. If RCCL wants to remain a more elite cruise line (in my opinion) then following Carnival's make your own luggage tags practice does the opposite.

Why should I have the added expense and effort to go anywhere to have my luggage tags laminated to make them durable? RCCL's rate's in most cases are usually higher than Carnivals. I think that increased rate should provide durable luggage tags.

I would not have any problem with having durable tags attached by the porter at the port. They could save on mailing costs with that concept.....but having me make and provide my own durable tags....is unacceptable in my opinion.

What about persons who do not have access to a computer or printer? Yes, they are out there. Two of my table mates (elderly couple) on a past cruise had to go and pay to have their documents printed out for them. This really will just be a added burden and expense. Self serve is not always a good thing.

I folded the luggage tag to the size it needed to be. I then put packing tape on each side. Put it through the handle of the suitcase, and put another piece of tape around the ends to hold them together.

Wasn't hard, and it took me a while to get it off. Had to use a knife from room service.

I would rather they cut cost by doing this, than by cutting somewhere else.

Yes, I agree about the changing of cabins on the Rapsody. That's just wrong. I will be interesting to see what RCCL does to correct it....if anything at all.

Yes, Carnival may currently have this practice in place and it my save money but in my opinion Carnival and RCCL are two very different cruise lines. I have cruised with Carnival 4 times and RCCL 30 times. There is a reason I prefer RCCL. I do not want to sound like a snob but RCCL provides more of what I am looking for in a cruise experience. If RCCL wants to remain a more elite cruise line (in my opinion) then following Carnival's make your own luggage tags practice does the opposite.

Why should I have the added expense and effort to go anywhere to have my luggage tags laminated to make them durable? RCCL's rate's in most cases are usually higher than Carnivals. I think that increased rate should provide durable luggage tags.

I would not have any problem with having durable tags attached by the porter at the port. They could save on mailing costs with that concept.....but having me make and provide my own durable tags....is unacceptable in my opinion.

What about persons who do not have access to a computer or printer? Yes, they are out there. Two of my table mates (elderly couple) on a past cruise had to go and pay to have their documents printed out for them. This really will just be a added burden and expense. Self serve is not always a good thing.

Getting the tags at the pier from the porters is always an option.

it is the same as it is on Carnival and other lines..

you can print them...take them to staples or someplace and laminate..or buy laminating sheets...or just wrap them in plain packing tape..

it is really NOT that big of a deal....i've used the ones from CCL with no issue...and i have made my own in the past....

voice your opinion as you wish...but they're saving money..and that's all that matters to the stockholders...

sometimes people have to choose their battles and while this may seem like a pain to some, there are others who got kicked out of cabins they booked when Rhapsody got upgraded and they renumbered cabins....

THAT is a battle that needs to be fought...self-serve luggage tags, not so much

Another RCCL cheerleader. Who know's what will be cut next but the cheerleaders will be all in favor of whatever it is.....:rolleyes:

We have found that the tags the porter at the pier will supply works just as well as the ones provided by Royal Caribbean.

We have been making our own tags for Princess for some time now (for those of you that remember a major cut back in expenses was when they took a ship away from the West Coast, so we have started sailing on Princess, who is still providing a ship, on a limited basis to the West Coast).

As others have mentioned there are many other things worth fighting RCCL for, this is one that I have learned to live with on other cruise lines.

It would be nice for all cruise lines to standardize their tags, so that a company like Avery could make sheets of luggage tag paper, that TA's or passengers could purchase and make their own, still sticky luggage tags.

Just a thought!;)

Rick

No big deal to print the labels out, but I would definitely recommend laminating them. A couple of years ago my bag never arrived to my stateroom, as it was raining and the tag got wet and fell off. I later had to identify the bag among many others in a big luggage room on board.

Not only do I not have a problem with this new luggage tag system, I wish it had been implemented sooner.

Due to my pre-cruise travel arrangements and the timing involved of my last two cruises, I was unable to receive the pre-printed luggage tags from RCI before flying to Florida. I would have loved to been able to print my own tags instead of having to get tags from the porters on the day of embarkation.

I don't even care that this will save RCI a few dollars, in my opinion it will be nice to be able to print my own tags just for the convenience of it.

I like the ideas mentioned about purchasing lamination kits or having standard Avery labels.

In the meantime, I believe simply encasing the paper between a couple layers of clear packing tape would make these tags durable enough to keep them from falling off your luggage inadvertently between the pier and your stateroom.

Not only do I not have a problem with this new luggage tag system, I wish it had been implemented sooner.

Due to my pre-cruise travel arrangements and the timing involved of my last two cruises, I was unable to receive the pre-printed luggage tags from RCI before flying to Florida. I would have loved to been able to print my own tags instead of having to get tags from the porters on the day of embarkation.

I don't even care that this will save RCI a few dollars, in my opinion it will be nice to be able to print my own tags just for the convenience of it.

I like the ideas mentioned about purchasing lamination kits or having standard Avery labels.

In the meantime, I believe simply encasing the paper between a couple layers of clear packing tape would make these tags durable enough to keep them from falling off your luggage inadvertently between the pier and your stateroom.

An example of the luggage tag has been part of the edocs for years now. I´ve succesfully used that and printed it for many years now.

An example of the luggage tag has been part of the edocs for years now. I´ve succesfully used that and printed it for many years now.

That's a great idea, thanks for mentioning it. I don't think I've even looked at the edocs in years...I will from now on :D

That's a great idea, thanks for mentioning it. I don't think I've even looked at the edocs in years...I will from now on :D

I have been using the one that is on the third page of the SetSail Pass. I don't know of one in the edocs since I haven't looked at them in years.

Another RCCL cheerleader. Who know's what will be cut next but the cheerleaders will be all in favor of whatever it is.....:rolleyes:

Nice sarcasm....really helpful too...

frankly you could attack the others on this thread who say the same thing..

you can get them at the pier....not a big deal....you do not have to laminate them

and for the record i am certainly not a royal caribbean cheerleader.....they do plenty of stupid stuff...this, IMO is not that much of a big deal....

Really? Just how do they expect tags made of regular typing paper to stay on? This is insane!

It's not insane and it's not actually new. Sorry you are having trouble with this concept. :(

Oh stop it. Just because someone doesn't agree with someone else does not make them a "cheerleader".

We have found that the tags the porter at the pier will supply works just as well as the ones provided by Royal Caribbean.

Absolutely, that's what we do too. No biggie. :)

Archived