Oasis Boarding Doc Question..

We are going on a cruise with a total of 20 family members to celebrate parents 50th wedding anniversary..We are driving w/ our niece who is 16. We will probably want to board earlier than other family..What will we need to avoid being turned away..?? Many thanks for any info..

All you need is your boarding documents prepared in advance and either a passport -or- valid picture ID (drivers license or other) and birth certificate. There is no reason they would turn you away with this information. You do not need to board together as a group. Check with RCI or your TA in advance to be sure all of the needed documentation is filled out.

We are going on a cruise with a total of 20 family members to celebrate parents 50th wedding anniversary..We are driving w/ our niece who is 16. We will probably want to board earlier than other family..What will we need to avoid being turned away..?? Many thanks for any info..

You may want to look into having a notarized letter signed by the parents of your niece authorizing the trip and any potential medical care. I have read that sometimes people are asked for this letter when a minor child is not traveling with their parents.

You may want to look into having a notarized letter signed by the parents of your niece authorizing the trip and any potential medical care. I have read that sometimes people are asked for this letter when a minor child is not traveling with their parents.

That is a good catch and good advice - we have cruised with minor friends of our kids joining them and had notarized letters of permission for them to be with us, assigning responsibility for medical care, etc., to us along with the proper pre-cruise documentation filled out and correct ID on hand. Wasn't clear if the niece was just driving with them to the port or traveling without her parents - but if alone that letter is a must.

Her mom will be joining us but flying in w/ a toddler..So we will board before her more than likely.. I've read that someone was asked for custody papers before & it had me nervous.. Her parents are divorced & just her mom will be with her. If we can arrange to meet at the port it will be easier on us if she just boards w/ her mom..lol

Thanks for your replies so far.. :)

Her mom will be joining us but flying in w/ a toddler..So we will board before her more than likely.. I've read that someone was asked for custody papers before & it had me nervous.. Her parents are divorced & just her mom will be with her. If we can arrange to meet at the port it will be easier on us if she just boards w/ her mom..lol

Thanks for your replies so far.. :)

I don't know enough about the custody paper side of things and I'm sure her mom has that all under control - but it is best for her to be prepared.

I have both issues - I have 2 kids, am divorced PLUS I always bring my niece on trips. We have been traveling in and out of the country for years now and it's always been the same procedure. FYI, these are really Customs and Border Protection regulations that are designed to protect against a non-custodial parent taking a child and running from the custodial parent and RCI is supposed to follow them at check-in. I was just on the Oasis 3/31 sailing and at least for me, they followed them. Here's what to expect in all the different situations you may have:

1)If your niece and her mother have the SAME LAST NAME there is no question about custody here. I have NEVER been asked for custody papers (or questioned at all) about my boys because they have the same last name. I have been told directly from Customs agents that they are only required to ask when the parent and child's names don't match. If you think about the fact that married parents travel ALL the time with their kids without their spouse and no one is required to prove anything it makes more sense. But I am too paranoid and personally don't travel without documentation out of fear I'll be challenged just once somewhere.

2)If your niece has a DIFFERENT LAST NAME as her mother, then yes, she should travel with custody papers proving mom has custody. If mom does not have custody she will need a notarized letter from the other parent whose name she shares granting permission for her to travel with mom on that specific ship, on your specific travel dates. It should include that the mother has permission to make all decisions regarding care, activities and waivers. RCI is supposed to ask for this proof at check-in (before the ship leaves the country). Even if there is an oversight and no one asks her at check-in for some reason - she will almost certainly be challenged when "re-entering the country" because when you disembark this ship must go thru customs at the end of the trip.

3) If your niece boards with YOU instead of her mother they can challenge you and ask for a notarized letter allowing her permission to travel with YOU. Without the letter, they technically have the right to refuse boarding and make her wait until her mother arrives since they can't really prove the mother will actually board later. I'd have her do a letter for you to carry just in case you do decide to board earlier without her.

Before I traveled on Oasis, I had read posts on these boards from people saying RCI never asked them for any documentation at check-in. I say follow procedure and you'll be safer than sorry whether they ask or not. So I'm just giving you what you should be prepared for in case they follow through. Have your ducks in a row and you can be stress free and have no worries going into it.

MY experience at this port: I WAS asked to briefly show the letter from my niece's mother at the Oasis check-in. (don't GIVE them the letter or paperwork. make sure you get it back, you'll need it again). Upon return, they were all over me with my niece when I went through customs. They carefully examined her passport and the notarized letter from her mother and I also had her birth certificate so I showed that as well. They then asked my niece directly a series of questions to verify that she knew who I was, why she was traveling with me, where she was going next. This port was actually the most thorough I've personally encountered. Neither time was I asked anything about my own boys with the same last name as mine. Just my niece with the different last name.

Good luck and you're going to LOVE the ship!!

Archived