Can't Decide!!

CM2J2R2S

We are planning a cruise for our 25th Anniversary and need some help! We have cruised the Caribbean before and are not new to cruising.

I have been to Rome and Florence but my dh has not and would love to show him some of the sights. He would really like to see Venice and I have not been there yet.

We went to Corfu for our Honeymoon and think that Greece has a nostalgic appeal and we did not see any sights in Athens whatsoever. Santorini is on our list of want to visit places.

Beaches have a strong appeal (Crotia) because we both need a little down time and the sun and sand is a draw, for sure. We also looked at the cruise out of Puerto Rico - but could not decide on any one thing - maybe decide is wrong, maybe 'agree' is a better word. Nah, decide works. Any insights would be much appreciated.

So, we are trying to choose....

7 Night Eastern Mediterranean

Navigator of the Seas

Ports of Call:

Day 1: Civitavecchia (Rome), Italy

Day 2: Messina, Sicily

Day 3: At Sea

Day 4: Kusadasi (Ephesus), Turkey

Day 5: Piraeus (Athens), Greece

Day 6: Souda (Chania), Crete

Day 7: At Sea

Day 8: Civitavecchia (Rome), Italy

7 Night Adriatic/Greece/Turkey

Norwegian Jade

Ports of Call:

Day 1: Venice, Italy

Day 2: Dubrovnik, Croatia

Day 3: At Sea

Day 4: Piraeus (Athens), Greece

Day 5: Izmir, Turkey

Day 6: At Sea

Day 7: Split, Croatia

Day 8: Venice, Italy

7 Night Greek Isles

Norwegian Jade

Ports of Call:

Day 1: Venice, Italy

Day 2: At Sea

Day 3: Corfu, Greece

Day 4: Santorini, Greece

Day 5: Mykonos, Greece

Day 6: Katakolon (Olympia), Greece

Day 7: At Sea

Day 8: Venice, Italy

I don't have a recommendation as I have never done a Med cruise and I will be happy to cruise any of those. You may want to do some research on the Italy board the pros and cons of Venice vs Civitavecchia as a embarkation and debarkation port, transportation to/from the airport, and if you have other land-based plan pros and cons for each of them.

Also consider the amount of time the ship staying at each port. To me, a 9pm departure is a big plus vs other ship that may leave at 5pm, for instance.

Venice isn't on the 1st one, so that one shouldn't even be on the table since he'd like to go and you haven't been either.

Not everyone would agree that RCCL is a better product over NCL - I don't think so at this point. But when in the Med, the itinerary should be your #1 criteria. Then a line that has flexible dining (which both do, but I think NCL does better job). Lastly, if you are going to book a suite (and you didn't say, but thought this was worth saying), hands down, NCL has the best suite perks afloat of mass-marketed lines. If you're not booking a suite, all other things are comparable.

I've a great fondness for Jade, and have travelled on her twice....

You're not too far from the airport in Venice, instead of an hour plus away from Rome in Civi, so it's not much of a problem reaching the ship.

The sail in/out of Venice is one of the great cruising experiences to be had- as is the sail into Santorini's caldera.

Dubrovnik isn't one of the best places for beaches, unless you're hiring a car-Corfu and Mykonos have good options.....even Santorini's lava beaches are only a few miles away from Fira by car or bus, with all the usual Med holiday resort amenities. Take the bus from the Cathedral square, or a taxi-or hire a car/quad bike.

I'd be looking at the 2nd Jade trip for the things you enjoy. You don't need all the bells and whistles of a larger ship with such an itinerary, and it's good to come back after a tiring day out and not feel rushed into dining .

Enjoy choosing!;)

Jo.

Have you only seven days time and budget? I did a back to back for a total of 14 nights...excellent.

adding a land tour to the first one might help...maybe Venice, fly to Florence, head to Rome the port?

aren't there one way cruises to or from Venice, maybe 12 nights or so. those would be sweet.

If you want beach, Forida, Texas and California are hard to beat. Hawaii does!:D

Foreign ports; Venice. Dubrovnic. Cruises start and end in Venice, a wonderful place to see before it ends up underwater. :eek:

I'm glad you made a decision.....we saw Jade leaving Venice last summer, with people crowding the decks for that amazing ride down past St Mark's Square.... it really is an incredible experience.

You know Corfu, so probably can find your own beaches....just a hint- there's a car hire place in the cruise terminal there, and another one just across the road.

Have a wonderful time! :cool:

Jo.

I'm glad you made a decision.....we saw Jade leaving Venice last summer, with people crowding the decks for that amazing ride down past St Mark's Square.... it really is an incredible experience.

You know Corfu, so probably can find your own beaches....just a hint- there's a car hire place in the cruise terminal there, and another one just across the road.

Have a wonderful time! :cool:

Jo.

Thanks, Jo, we are pretty excited now that it is finally booked. We have been trying to decide on ANYTHING for over a year and could never find something that fit both of us until now and we are both super pumped!

Archived