Appreciation to Oceania

yorkiemomjn

Hi everyone,

I accidently posted this on another thread. I was reading the thread about problems with cancellations and posted there.

I wanted to share our recent Riviera cancellation experience.

We were scheduled on both of the Riviera's two canceled maiden voyages, but were unable to make the third sailing.

We had booked our own non-refundable air, but were not able to change/use it within the airline's alloted time frame (one year). We asked Oceania to refund our air fare and we received a check in the mail today!!

I may be thought of as one who only has good things to say about O, but all of our experiences with Oceania have been positive!

Judy

As an aside, I hope, for Oceania's sake, that they have insurance that covers this for them...or, perhaps, the cooperation of the airlines...

The airlines really make out well with those non-cancelable tickets...Planes nowadays rarely fly out unfilled...so, if something is canceled this far in advance, I doubt the airline has any problem reselling the seats--therefore, it makes a windfall...Since the airlines get so much business from the cruise lines, perhaps they might be willing to work out some sort of deal to help the cruise line out on this one...yeah, sure! We all know the airlines are hurting so bad nowadays, they give on nothing...

But, I am guessing that Oceania has some sort of insurance coverage that would cover the delay of the delivery of the ship...They stand to lose a lot more than just refunding passengers' non-refundable airfares...they are losing all of those canceled cruises full of bookings and all of the profits that go along with that...

However much a nightmare for the passengers, it's got to be a bigger nightmare for Oceania...

As an aside, I hope, for Oceania's sake, that they have insurance that covers this for them...or, perhaps, the cooperation of the airlines...

The airlines really make out well with those non-cancelable tickets...Planes nowadays rarely fly out unfilled...so, if something is canceled this far in advance, I doubt the airline has any problem reselling the seats--therefore, it makes a windfall...Since the airlines get so much business from the cruise lines, perhaps they might be willing to work out some sort of deal to help the cruise line out on this one...yeah, sure! We all know the airlines are hurting so bad nowadays, they give on nothing...

But, I am guessing that Oceania has some sort of insurance coverage that would cover the delay of the delivery of the ship...They stand to lose a lot more than just refunding passengers' non-refundable airfares...they are losing all of those canceled cruises full of bookings and all of the profits that go along with that...

However much a nightmare for the passengers, it's got to be a bigger nightmare for Oceania...

You are probably right. I'm sure they had insurance for this type of thing. We did take it as high as we could with the airline before we went to Oceania though.

We have rebooked for next year on the Riviera and they let us use the credits/discounts we had on the maiden voyage on our new booking. Oceania has great customer service.

Air deviation fees have always been clearly defined as non-refundable. They are an administrative fee for the extra effort to book the flights; the work was done whether you canceled or not. Still, Oceania can be very generous in special circumstances.

Air deviation fees have always been clearly defined as non-refundable. They are an administrative fee for the extra effort to book the flights; the work was done whether you canceled or not. Still, Oceania can be very generous in special circumstances.

We did not request a refund for the deviation fee.

We did not request a refund for the deviation fee.

Judy, I was responding to Anna201213, but I was trying out TapaTalk on my phone, and it didn't indicate which post I was responding to the way the it does when I use a "normal" browser. I wasn't thrilled with TapaTalk.

I was also confused by Anna201213's comment that the air arrangement was not made yet; the deviation fee is never charged until after the air deviation arrangements have been accpeted by the guest.

Hi, Judy, sorry to read that you cannot make the maiden voyage, but very happy to read that you have been made whole.

Where does the May 25, 2013 Riviera sailing go? Edit: just looked it up: nice Istanbul to Rome itinerary; sounds like the perfect time of year to enjoy the smooth waters of the Med!

Pam

Another nice Oceania touch...we upgraded and I contacted them about

our luggage tags and should we just put them on at the pier..and they responded..we have requested new ones be sent to you..how thoughtful!

We can't wait to get back on Oceania!!

Sherry & Kimber

Judy, I was responding to Anna201213, but I was trying out TapaTalk on my phone, and it didn't indicate which post I was responding to the way the it does when I use a "normal" browser. I wasn't thrilled with TapaTalk.

I was also confused by Anna201213's comment that the air arrangement was not made yet; the deviation fee is never charged until after the air deviation arrangements have been accpeted by the guest.

Each time we have asked an air deviation automatically O' have charged fee even they were not made any air arrangement because when we have asked for it was prior the final payment

Each time we have asked an air deviation automatically O' have charged fee even they were not made any air arrangement because when we have asked for it was prior the final payment

You mean they charged you the fee even though you did not accept the flight deviation???

We only pay the fee at the time we accept the flights for the deviation ...usually about 265 days out (for us)

You pay the deviation fee & any upcharge as soon as you accept the flights offered not at final payment

You mean they charged you the fee even though you did not accept the flight deviation???

We only pay the fee at the time we accept the flights for the deviation ...usually about 265 days out (for us)

You pay the deviation fee & any upcharge as soon as you accept the flights offered not at final payment

Yes they charged me the fee even they did not make any arrangment. My TA told me the minute you advise O' that you are interested for an air deviation you receive an invoice. So this afternoon I have an appointment with my TA for a final payment for a cruise in July and I'm going to ask her to contact O. For the next cruise in July I did not ask air deviation it was for another cruise that we had cancelled last year and O never reimburse air deviation fee and no agreement at all was concluded between O and me

Yes they charged me the fee even they did not make any arrangment. My TA told me the minute you advise O' that you are interested for an air deviation you receive an invoice.

seems strange

You should not be charged the fee if you are just inquiring about a deviation

perhaps your TA accepted the flights for you

We have never been charged the fee until we are happy with the flights & accept them

maybe a good talk with your TA will clear up things

seems strange

You should not be charged the fee if you are just inquiring about a deviation

perhaps your TA accepted the flights for you

We have never been charged the fee until we are happy with the flights & accept them

maybe a good talk with your TA will clear up things

I'm so sorry I just checked the file of the cruise I was talking and Oceania has reimbursed money for air deviation fee. Not good for my credibility...

I'm so sorry I just checked the file of the cruise I was talking and Oceania has reimbursed money for air deviation fee. Not good for my credibility...

Your cedibility is fine. If I had a nickel for every conclusion to which I have jumped without checking first, I could take another cruise. We were not crticizing you (we try not to do that on the Oceania forum); we were just a bit confused.

Well that is good news

as Don said ..we were a bit confused by your statement;)

Enjoy the upcoming cruise

lyn

Archived