Constant Complaining - Why?

sail7seas

They probably sharpened their complaining skills by reading the posts on this site. 4 pages of people complaining about complaining. Just sayin' LOL

Ha! Though I will add my own complaint about complainers. DH works for an airline. Without fail, folks will 'share' every bad experience they've had, on any airline, when they find out what he does for a living. Even happened at our recent HAL meet & greet. When we have been on group trips inevitably he has to remind people that he's on vacation too and would rather not talk about work constantly. One of his favorite come backs is, gee if I had all those problems I sure wouldn't fly with them any more! :p

I too have sat with people like that in the dining room and thats why I now eat in the Lido where I cand pick my table, mu food and my companions

However, be direct if confronted, and somply reply" " Excuse me, but I could care less about you or what you think..underdtood" :p and walk away!

Dont rationalize, depate or,be cute. Slap them verbaly quick and fast .

These people love an audience good or bad.... there is no complaint show if there is no you....

Thank you for the element of balance. As this thread attests, the negativity of chronic complainers saps the spirit but empathy is an important element of an effective response.

So, as I stitch the pieces together, the response I'm canning for future use is: "Oh, I'm so sorry to hear about your problem and I hope it's fixed soon. I'm having a wonderful time, thank God, and have nothing worth complaining about."

Love your answer. I'll have to copy that to my cruise list of things to remember!;)

Ha! Though I will add my own complaint about complainers. DH works for an airline. Without fail, folks will 'share' every bad experience they've had, on any airline, when they find out what he does for a living.....
The same can be said for people who work in so many other occupations.

Just mention that you work in hotel or restaurant management, medicine, law, information technology, tax accounting, banking, plumbing, real estate, tourism, etc. and people will bombard you not only with every bad experience they had with someone in your field, but every one they heard of that happened to someone else.

We learned years ago to follow the example of someone we met on a trip. Whenever someone asked him what he did for a living, he would reply: Oh, let's not talk about work. We go on vacation to get away from work.

Sail ,

After 28 in my job , I have learned the following

A person who starts off saying "I don't want to start trouble ". IS STARTING TROUBLE"

Anyone who starts off saying "I don't want to bother you", IS ABOUT TO BOTHER ME"

Anyone who starts off with "This is probably going to sound crazy", IS ABOUT TO TELL ME SOMETHING CRAZY.

And anyone who starts off with "I don't like to complain" IS ABOUT TO COMPLAIN.

*LOL*

Sorry you had to endure this on your cruise . Some people would die if teh didn't have something to complain about

YOU always make me smile.

You have the absolutely best attitude. :)

Thanks for being such a great member in this community.

APPLAUSE for your wonderful posts...... always. :)

Were they new to HAL and somehow blamed CC for supposedly misleading them? In 23 cruises I don't recall hearing any complaints. ( although we did complain about squeaky cabins on Regent Navigator) but that was not annoying anyone, because only those of us involved discussed it. I guess we attract happy people!

I have been on cruises where people complained about the posters on CC!! I heard some scary stories about others finding out their personal information and practically stalking them!! Don't ask me to reveal anymore---to protect those involved! I was totally freaked out after that!

How did they even recognize you, Sail?

I, for one, really dislike complainers...those who look through life as "the glass is half empty". It's very wearing.

Any day on a ship is better than a day at home, IMO.

I'd be inclined to stop them in their tracks with some of the suggested comments here.

So sorry they found you... ARGHHHHHHH!

Our last cruise we were in the elevator with another couple proudly wearing their 4 star mariner pins... they were snapping at each other. She wanted the pin off because she was complained to. He wanted it on because he had earned it.

There were a lot of complainers that cruise that could not seem to stop themselves... Ooops, I meant I really had fun cruising with my parents :D...

Anyhow,

You are way too nice.

I agree with the other posters.... refer them elsewhere & let them know you don't want to hear it!

and then kick their butts in Trivia!;)

Of cpurse, they didn't ruin our cruise but I suspect they had less of an enjoyable cruise than they could have if they stopped trying to find and comment about every conceivable negative. :eek:

It's too bad but I still find it curious why they felt it was some 'fault' or responsibility of mine. The tone seemed to indicate it would have been really 'neat' if I waved a magic wand and made their primary complaint of the day 'all better'. :D

By the end of the cruise, there were some parties we went to and some dinners with friends so we didn't spend much time near them. (It was always in the same place and we didn't feel like giving up something we liked so continued our usual routine.)

So sorry they found you... ARGHHHHHHH!

Our last cruise we were in the elevator with another couple proudly wearing their 4 star mariner pins... they were snapping at each other. She wanted the pin off because she was complained to. He wanted it on because he had earned it.

There were a lot of complainers that cruise that could not seem to stop themselves... Ooops, I meant I really had fun cruising with my parents :D...

Anyhow,

You are way too nice.

I agree with the other posters.... refer them elsewhere & let them know you don't want to hear it!

and then kick their butts in Trivia!;)

Funny.....

great post.

How did they even recognize you, Sail?

I, for one, really dislike complainers...those who look through life as "the glass is half empty". It's very wearing.

Any day on a ship is better than a day at home, IMO.

I'd be inclined to stop them in their tracks with some of the suggested comments here.

Somehow they made me feel it was my obligation to 'make excuses for HAL'. I wanted to scream that I don't work for the company and never have.

Nooooo, I don't think so. :D

In spite of everything that's been said about this situation, I find it a bit scary that even here, on CC, we write an innocent comment about where we go pre dinner, and someone holds on to that information and "stalks" you without even knowing what you look like. Good for you not to let them make you change a routine you both liked.

Lat year I went on the Amsterdam's 14 day cruise to Alaska. I was in tears as we sailed out of Seattle. I had been planning on going back but illness and other things got in the way. He I was going to Alaska. It would be my 2nd trip but it was many years ago. I went to dinner and asked to be changed to another table after I ate. Next morning I was so excited A day at sea and weather was perfect. I went down for breakfast. I was seated at a table and it filled quickly. there was a couple from England. before I got a chance to eat She started to complain. Her water was not hot enough for her tea on other cruises the water was always hot. She complained and complained all through breakfast I just ate. Just before I got up I said to her. I am sorry your not enjoying the cruise its only the first day. But I think you might be happier at home. The next stop is Ketchikan you might want to get off and fly home so your tea will be hot. Thanks for a messible breakfast. a few days later someone at the table bought me a drink for saying rhat to her.

Mary

Hi Sail,

That is a bummer that happened, but glad you still enjoyed your regular routine and the cruise on your beloved Maasdam.

It would be fun to start a thread with this title:

"If you could enjoy a drink with some experienced HAL cruisers..."

I think it would be awesome to sit at a table with sail7seas, RuthC, Rev Neal, Copper 10-8, to name just a few, and listen and learn from their experience. No complaining allowed! Just sharing great stories.

A thread with that title could be on any of the CC Boards, I suppose. I know I have favorite CC posters on HAL, Princess and the Europe boards. You know, the ones that give balanced and helpful information.

Sail, you are my "go to person" when I have questions about HAL, and you always take the time to reply to my emails. Thank you!

Of cpurse, they didn't ruin our cruise but I suspect they had less of an enjoyable cruise than they could have if they stopped trying to find and comment about every conceivable negative. :eek:

It's too bad but I still find it curious why they felt it was some 'fault' or responsibility of mine. The tone seemed to indicate it would have been really 'neat' if I waved a magic wand and made their primary complaint of the day 'all better'. :D

By the end of the cruise, there were some parties we went to and some dinners with friends so we didn't spend much time near them. (It was always in the same place and we didn't feel like giving up something we liked so continued our usual routine.)

Maybe they had picked up on the fact that you've said that you have a number of friends on board and maybe they felt like you could do something. That said, trying to find reason with someone that's not all there is probably not going to do you much good. I'm finding more and more that I need to be careful what I say because someone will use something against you especially when they have too much time on their hands or are not stable. I'm a very open person so it's difficult for me.

Hi Sail,

That is a bummer that happened, but glad you still enjoyed your regular routine and the cruise on your beloved Maasdam.

It would be fun to start a thread with this title:

I think it would be awesome to sit at a table with sail7seas, RuthC, Rev Neal, Copper 10-8, to name just a few, and listen and learn from their experience. No complaining allowed! Just sharing great stories.

A thread with that title could be on any of the CC Boards, I suppose. I know I have favorite CC posters on HAL, Princess and the Europe boards. You know, the ones that give balanced and helpful information.

Sail, you are my "go to person" when I have questions about HAL, and you always take the time to reply to my emails. Thank you!

Of course, I always answer your e-mails. :)

I wouldn't dream of not.

Thanks for your nice words.

Aw, shucks. That's so nice to include me. :o Sounds like a fun time, too! :D

No toxic people allowed---promise!

[quote name=bobalink

]................................

Now that................would be an interesting table:D

Archived