New to cruising

schmeg

Thanks for letting me join your forum. I'm sure I'll find it informative in planning our first cruise. I do have a question,,,,my wife and I are 51 and 44 respectively. We are empty nesters and are of middle income stature. We like to dress up for dinner and enjoy opulence. Would we feel out of place going on a cruise with Seabourn and the wealth that the lines reputation earns? We aren't partiers, don't want to cruise with kids, but want fine dining, great company and relaxation. I want to do it up right the first time and feel we deserve it after working through children and developing our careers, we just may not be as wealthy as some of the other guests on the ship. It sound like the atmosphere is what we are looking for. Thank-you for any input. Jay

You have the right attitude. Do it right the first time. As Johnnie Walker says. "Once you try Black you can never go back". Seabourn is a bit like cocaine. Once you get started you can't stop.

I am far from wealthy. But I do know how to spend my hard earned money in good form.

Book it. Enjoy it. You will never regret it.

Depending on your cruise. There may be some children onboard. Granted my last cruise was Caribbean did have a few children under 10 and 5-6 more in the 10-20 age group.

Don

Jay~~~WELCOME to Our Board!

As to Guests of money on a Seabourn ship.......no one ever really knows! We don't talk about "who has what or who doesn't"......I've sailed for 6 years on Seabourn and can honestly say I've only met one snob! I have found the folks that I enjoy, are those that are kind, considerate, fun and caring. After a few voyages you will know quite a few of the regulars as it's such a small cruise line.

Akin to a big "family!" And the Officer's, Staff and Crew are also "family".....

There are activities on board if you want to particiate.....for some lounging and reading, sleeping late, etc., etc. is appealing. The food, good wines, service is a 6*......and "nothing to sign" But your wife's Beauty Salon and Gift Shop tab! haha The itineraries are also a plus. We visit ports, where the big ships can not go. (We even dock right by the Tower Bridge in London)

We welcome you and please come join us!

Martita

As Martita said, weath is not an issue that is even discussed. I think you would be surprised at the number of Seabourners that are not "wealthy" but are comfortable such as you are. They save up to take the best cruise they can. And, for the most part, they become hooked..and do it again and again!

You should also know that if you have a good TA he/she can find you some great deals.

Jay,

We did our first-ever cruise on Seabourn in our early 40's, and were warned we would never sail anything else. The warning was correct, as we loved it! Then, we did our next 6 cruises on Seabourn!!! Made one detour to Crystal, (didn't care for it--too large), and one on Silversea (very nice, though a bit less intimate), and came back to Seabourn yet again.

You will likely fall in love with Seabourn, as the first cruise is always the best cruise, but be forewarned: if you start with Seabourn as we did, there will never be anything else that can surpass it. I think you are hearing that chorus from others as well.

My personal advice without even knowing you: book it!

Denyse

Jay, welcome. I've only been on one Seabourn cruise and am looking forward to my second cruise, and hopefully more!! My Mom and I will be cruising again this August (I'll be leaving my dh and our 3 boys home again). She was a bit worried that I might feel out of place as she thought the crowd might be a bit older (she is 78, I am 48). While the age of most was 60+, I can honestly say that I did not ever feel out of place. I loved meeting and dining with other passengers and we were lucky enough to be invited to sit at the Captain's table, cruise director's table, etc. on each night of our cruise. The food is out of this world -- I gained 10 lbs. on my first cruise! The crew was fabulous. They know your name almost immediately. It is quite a different cruising experience since there are only 208 passengers which makes is a cozy and comfortable atmosphere. You certainly don't get to meet many people on a 2600 passenger cruise ship. I am quite sure that you and your wife will enjoy Seabourn and will become just as "hooked" as the rest of us.

Lisa :)

Jay, we completed our first Seabourn cruise this past February. We truly enjoyed the passengers we met. Everyone was so kind and went out of their way to look out for one another. As Martita and others have said, wealth is something that is not discussed, nor was it flaunted. We really bonded well with our fellow passenger's and made good friends with a number of passenger's who were of various ages. We also found that the ships only carry 200 or less passenger's that these size ships provide a wonderful opportunity to interact with fellow passenger's and crew alike.

Everything about the cruise was wonderful from the six star service to the six star food. We have booked two more cruises on Seabourn and can't wait to sail with Seabourn again.

Keith

Thanks so much for the fast replies! You folks have made it easy for me. The atmosphere aboard these ships sounds like just what we are looking for. We really enjoy dining fine cuisine and cooking it ourselves, along with close companionship amungst friends. A small crowd is a welcome to me because I never have done well in a crowded enviroment. I alsd believe, you get what you pay for. We are considering the Carribean or South America/Panama. Hopefully I won't ask too many dumb questions. Jay.

Please Jay, "ask away"........as MR Mcboo just posted, "there are NO dumb questions."

We will more than happy to answer any and all......

I know of ONE dumb question a "cruiser" ask the Purser...."do those stairs go up or do they go down???" Another dumb question: a "cruiser" ask the Hotel Manager, "where does all the Crew sleep at night???"

Anyone else have one???

Martita

All I can say is that I've done one 14 day cruise-this past Christmas/New Years- on Seabourn and every time I book something on another cruiseline since, I end up canceling it.... In fact, I'm pretty close to canceling one I have booked now and waiting till Spring 2006 to sail on Seabourn.....(the Zenith cruise I have booked cannot be canceled as it is what one of my dearest friends wants to do for her birthday. I don't understand wanting to celebrate a 50th b'day on Zenith but it's important to me to celebrate with her)

Claudia

Though we have done many other cruises, and visited other resorts, we do not have lots of money. We just prefer to spend what we have on a good vacation. Maybe it is a result of many years of "winning" free trips with the company, include 5 years as the planner with the perks that come with that.

We are not "of money" or "wealth" but really did enjoy ourselves on our two week cruise. There were a handful of couples that made it a point of flashing their wealth, but they were few and far between. We will go again, when the price is right. ( we love the cruise, but can not afford the big bucks).

Jay, as the others have said there are certainly no dumb questions. If there were, I would be number 1 given how many questions I asked folks like Martha and Denyse about before my wife and I traveled on our first Seabourn Cruise earlier this year.

We greatly enjoyed the atmosphere (ambience), people, service, and food on board the ship.

Keith

Keith

Let me add to Keith's post~~~~

Keith and "Missy K" were HUGE hits on the Pride South American voyage......

I e-mail quite often to "staff friends".......they all thought 'yall were "Super-duper A1 Sailors!" Staff and Guests!

I look forward to being on one of The Yachts with both of you!

We'll plan a Texas Fling Ding party!

Martita

Denyse~~~it started a long time ago when Mother was alive. She loved to have parties......and was a fabulous hostess. When she was 89 we started sailing Seabourn. She was on a walker and had very limited eyesight. I researched Cruise Lines......found Seabourn! Soooo, here we went! As you know, "home" was suite 232! (when I pass it now, I just want to cry!) We started having small dinner parties.....usually would invite 12. It was easy for us to have a TEXAS party...and we discovered our Guests enjoyed thevening! Then I "ventured" out and started having other theme parties......but, many would say, "Oh, when can we wear Detupy badges and Texas debutante tiaras AGAIN?" Captain Rodahl LOVED for me to dress him up like the SHERIFF! Soooo I just kept having"Texas Fling Ding's!" I don't think I'll be having many more.....perhaps a small one, but NOT the TEXAS sized ones we used to host.......last year it was the "Hall of Fame.....this year it was "A Royal Affair"......next March "Tickled Pink!" The 2007 is a 'lit surprise!!!

Would you believe these dern events take on a life of their own???

My hosting the "Gala's" have become so popular....and I enjoy the preparation

and the planning.......and it keeps me out of the pool halls!

The "Texas Fling Ding" was just a name for our party~~~~

Happy Trails and Sails to you, Girlfriend!

MB

Archived