hydrofoil or drive to Peterhof in St. Petersburg

We asked our tour company if we could take the hydrofoil to and from Petergof instead of driving there and only taking the hydrofoil back. Our reasoning was that the hydrofoil is a 30 minute ride but the car is one hour. She is willing to do so but this is her comment (below). Has anyone taken the hydrfoil both ways and if so, how was it? We are traveling with 5 kids and the less time in the car the better.

It is more convenient to drive by car to Petergof, so that you can enter the palace from the UpperGarden without waiting in line as we can arrange early admission inside, and if you take a hydrofoil you will have to rush through the park first to the palace and then do exaclty the same way back. the drive by car will be up to 1 hour- very beautiful scenic drive with a lot of stories for kids - please, advise. If you still prefer a hydrofoil both ways, we will follow you)

We did the car there and the hydrofoil back. I think the set-up (as your guide says) lends itself to that.

My son was 13 at the time and I truly don't remember the drive out to Peterhof seeming long. Our guide was very engaging and did go over a fair amount on the drive.

The hydrofoil, as I recall, is loud and sort of bumpy. Most people stay seated and it wouldn't lend itself as well to your guide talking to all of you and "setting the stage."

However, I'm sure they'll do it however you want.

we did the hydrofoil there and drive back

We visited the gardens not palace so this way it suited as we reached the gardens quickly

the ride was fun and was a time when the guide just sat quietly beside us

The car drive back went quickly as the guide discussed the scenery and neighbourhoods on the way

I felt having different modes of transport both legs added to the day

Thank you both for the feedback! We will do the day as the guide suggests.

I agree with your decision to do what's suggested..It worked out great for us doing it this way...Enjoy !!!

Thank you both for the feedback! We will do the day as the guide suggests.

Below is what the hydrofoil looks like. Kind of "cool" in my book. We went to Catherine's Place, then to Peterhof, being dropped at the top. Then doing all of the exterior fountains, gardens, ending up in the lower area where we got on the hydrofoil. Riding this ship is a nice and interesting way to enter St. Petersburg. In fact, it's pretty spectacular!!! Loved it! See more below on why and how.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 73,417 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 65,820 views.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

From the dock at the Peterhof, here is the hydrofoil approaching before we started our trip into St. Petersburg. It is a little like boarding a "space ship". Cool and interesting ride!:

1A-StP-Hydrofoil.jpg

Looking up from the Gulf of Finland along the water canal towards the Palace at the Peterhof. This is near where the hydrofoil docks. :

A-StP-PeterhofWaterCanal.jpg

From the hydrofoil coming from the Peterhof, here was our view of the Hermitage exterior and this water feature in the main, harbor area.:

1A-StP-Hermt-Ex2.jpg

Lots of beautiful church towers and buildings are located all over in historic St. Petersburg. Some “riding around time” allows an opportunity to see the variety of buildings in this historic capital.:

1A-StP-Ch.jpg

Terry, you always have the best photos, bar none. I'm jealous because my photos from our Baltics cruise were lost (computer hard drive malfunction, didn't save original card....).

It's enough to make me want to do another Baltics cruise. :D

Wow, interesting! My kids will love it. Do you get "wind blown" on it, meaning the windows all open and you get blaste as soon the boat starts moving fast? I can't tell if the windows are open or not.

When we rode on this hydrofoil in late July, things were not "wind blown". The main part of this craft is closed in. I rode near the back where part of it was open in order to get better pictures and views as we were traveling into the main part of town from the Peterhof. As a big "kid", it was pretty cool and unique for me to take such a ride. Great way to get "introduced" to the great, historic areas of St. Petersburg.

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 73,417 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 65,820 views.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Terry, you always have the best photos, bar none. I'm jealous because my photos from our Baltics cruise were lost (computer hard drive malfunction, didn't save original card....). It's enough to make me want to do another Baltics cruise.

Appreciate so much you nice and kind comments on my pictures. I have always known you to be a person of such high class, great taste and wonderful judgment. Now, it's even more true!!!

Agree, you need to go back and do another Baltics cruise!! You're probably tired of all of that old Italy and Greece stuff, by now, right?

• 3 years later...

Has anybody ever encountered any problems with the hydrofoil?

I was reading this blog, and it warned against the hydrofoil:

http://www.baltic-cruise-blog.com/dont-be-fooled-part-2-2/

It warns that hydrofoils can get cancelled because of weather or any other 'technical reasons'.

I'm not sure if this is the real reason why he might be against tourists using the hydrofoil or if its a way for the tour companies to save some money if they don't need to buy tickets for the hydrofoil when they're already paying for the vehicle.

Last time we visited independently with visas, and we took the Meteor hydrofoil to Peterhof and back.

It's a really good service, and they are proper sea-going vessels - they use the same boats as inter-island ferries in Greece. And the Aegean Sea can be very rough!

They would only be cancelled because of really bad sea conditions in the Gulf of Finland. Much of the trip is down the River Neva. The pier is really convenient, right on the water outside The Hermitage museum.

Recommended one way, at least.

http://www.peterhof-express.com/

Edited by Bollinge

We went to the Peterhof on the hydrofoil and returned on the bus. I think the different modes of transport make it more interesting. On the hydrofoil there were also a lot of local people, so it felt a bit more authentic. The drive back also gives you a view of the countryside and our guide pointed out anything of interest and answered any questions we had.

You can see by my mate Len's video that the legs would be swamped if the sea state was anything above sea state 5, around 6 foot waves, when the Meteor hydrofoil would become a normal boat, bobbing around at about 12 knots, instead of 36 knots "on the plane".