Port side or starboard side?

If you have a choice, which side do you prefer your room to be on...  

74 members have voted

1. 1. If you have a choice, which side do you prefer your room to be on...

• Port side (left side, with ship facing forward)
    • Starboard side (right side, with ship facing forward)

Which side do you book your rooms on? Just wondering...when we were on Disney we were port side and all the action was on the other side :eek:

We're aft for our next two cruises, but I still wonder which you prefer and why.

Kim

I prefer outside-- it does not matter which side. In most cases (repositioning or one way cruises not included) cruises go out and come back to the same port. Your going to get sunrises and sunsets either way. As far as action goes, I prefer not to be near the action when on my balcony. I prefer to see the ocean, and island, or another vessel.

Jay

We've had so many cabins port side that when we had a cabin on the starboard side, the layout of the room almost seemed "backwards" to us. It felt like a right-handed person using everything left-handed.

I'm sure it would have been the opposite if most of our cruises were on the starboard side, but again - I'm not sure. Anyone have the same thing occur?

deb - i am backwards from that.

When docked in Miami - I have always been facing the dock from my balcony at sail off and that has been on the right side of the ship if facing the front of the ship - this is starboard side, right?

If I were on the other side I would feel so backwards!!

UIt just never mattered to me. In the days of transatlantic travel the moniker was: POSH, which stood for, "Port out Starboard Home" but honestly I cannot remember if that was for England to the US or the US to England?

deb - i am backwards from that.

When docked in Miami - I have always been facing the dock from my balcony at sail off and that has been on the right side of the ship if facing the front of the ship - this is starboard side, right?

If I were on the other side I would feel so backwards!!

Your right, in Miami you are on the starboard prior to sail off. That is my favorite side as I love to people watch especially the late runners in Cozumel :) Seems like port should be the side the port is on but we have always had the dock on the starboard side.

BonVoyage

Dawna

I purposely booked a starboard side balcony cabin for my upcoming cruise on the Mariner. It is the side that views all the restaurants, jetty park, etc. on the way out. I will love waving back to the people cheering us on as we slide out to sea!

On most Sundays I am one of those landlubbers watching the sailaway from Grills tiki bar (and wishful that I was one of those happy cruisers going out).

Only 5 more times does she leave without me! :)

Cheers!

nliedel

Actually, POSH was not for trans-Atlantics, but for England to the Suez and onto India, in the days before air conditioning. Port side Outbound from England would have the morning sun, and evening shade, making it more comfortable. Starboard Home would be shadyside (cooler) of ship.

We have only been on the port side. I guess it doesn't really matter a lot to us because so far we have only been in inside rooms. It took me one and a half cruises to figure out that on Mariner and Navigator the carpet in the hallway and on the stairs is blue on the port side and red on the starboard side. Comes in very handy when you are trying to find your room late at night after partying for a while!!!!

Carol

We have only been on the port side. I guess it doesn't really matter a lot to us because so far we have only been in inside rooms. It took me one and a half cruises to figure out that on Mariner and Navigator the carpet in the hallway and on the stairs is blue on the port side and red on the starboard side. Comes in very handy when you are trying to find your room late at night after partying for a while!!!!

Carol

Neat idea!! So since I booked a starboard room, I get the "red carpet" treatment? :D LOL

Thanks for the heads up tip!

Cheers!

Always been port side but this up-coming cruise will be starboard.

On our last cruise from New York to Canada the ship dock starboard ever stop but one.

I'm not to wise on all the ship's details, but from reading and trying to learn as we began to cruise thought that port side was were you could see the port etc., but that seems to not always be the true.

Marcy

The only cruise I've found it really makes much difference is Alaska north-south, or vice versa (not the standard "inside passage" cruise where you embark/disembark at the same port). North to Alaska, it's best to have a starboard side stateroom. South from Alaska, it's best to have port side staterooms.

I have found that trips leaving Ft. Lauderdale, the port cabins are superior.

The locals at the apartments by the beach are awesome to watch. We were standing on our port balcony watching the locals wave flags, clap, cheer, and blow air horns. Wow, what a send-off.

I just wondered about who prefers the left and right side of the ship in regards to the view of ports. I've always heard port side was the best, but it hasn't been the best view for certain ports for us.

Kim

Starboard or port doesn't mean anything unless you know which side will be dockside alongside. The cruise line should be able to tell you this. If you're high up enough, it doesn't matter, but if you're below say the lifeboats, you don't want to be looking at a bunch of warehouses or dock workers outside your window.

We have a balcony on the port side. VOS 6/3/05. My TA booked it, I guess it doesn't matter to me what side, as long as it's a balcony.

Bogi

Hi,

I've cruised twice. Both were guarantees, and I was assigned on each occasion, the port side of the ship. However, I'll be sailing on RCCL, Empress of the Seas in October, and the agent at RCL suggested suite 8112, which also happens to be on the port side. However, I'll take whatever side of the ship that is available.

Best,

Bruce

MS Volendam, December 16th, 2004

MS Zuiderdam, April 9th, 2005

Future sailing on RCCL, The Empress of the Seas, October 10th, 2005

Archived