New luggage tags

Got my luggage tags and I thought they were going to be pieces of paper that you put into the plastic sleeve luggage tag holders. I even bought some of those luggage tag holders that people recommended on here. well it turns out they are just like a security wrist band that straps onto your handles on your luggage. You don't need any type of holder or anything.

Got my luggage tags and I thought they were going to be pieces of paper that you put into the plastic sleeve luggage tag holders. I even bought some of those luggage tag holders that people recommended on here. well it turns out they are just like a security wrist band that straps onto your handles on your luggage. You don't need any type of holder or anything.

It is only on the Independence of the Seas while she is on this side of the pond that the paper tags are the only type of luggage tag available.

You have to request luggage tags. Generally the request button can be found when you look at your various documents (ie, you can select to go go online checkin, see cruise docs). There should also be a button to request luggage tags. If for some reason it is not available or they are out, you can always get your bag tagged by the porters at the dock.

I received an email this morning from RCI advising me that for my Majesty cruise this summer, I will need to print out my own luggage tags and either staple them together or wrap them with packing tape. I knew from threads here that this was coming. What bothers me is that they don't call this what it is - a cost saving move on the company's part. I get that. Don't tell me that this is an "enhancement" because I will no longer have to wait to receive luggage tags in the mail. I will now be using my paper and other supplies and my time to do this. In other words, I now have an extra cost (albeit small) to cruise.

It's not doing this that bugs me. It's their telling me that my cruise experience is "enhanced" because I am.

I received an email this morning from RCI advising me that for my Majesty cruise this summer, I will need to print out my own luggage tags and either staple them together or wrap them with packing tape. I knew from threads here that this was coming. What bothers me is that they don't call this what it is - a cost saving move on the company's part. I get that. Don't tell me that this is an "enhancement" because I will no longer have to wait to receive luggage tags in the mail. I will now be using my paper and other supplies and my time to do this. In other words, I now have an extra cost (albeit small) to cruise.

It's not doing this that bugs me. It's their telling me that my cruise experience is "enhanced" because I am.

Hi Vicki,

Mmm I wonder if they are using the MJ as a trial for this on your side of the pond :confused:...it is often the ship used for trials.

I wonder if anyone else who is going on the Majesty this summer received an email saying they can only use the paper tags?

I have seen that happen so many times. RCI makes a cost cutting change and, somehow, it is supposed to "enhance" my cruise experience. Maybe they should explain how it does that because I usually can't figure it out. I can understand cost cutting measures. I just dislike it when a company can't be up front about it and tries to turn their cost cutting into an enhancement for me.:rolleyes:

Liz, last time I checked, there wasn't a roll call for this cruise. I am sure others will chime in though.

I am excited. I am about to go to England for the first time today. Unfortunately, it is just a stop at Heathrow on my way to see my expat son in Nice. At least, I am making a start.

I work in software development and when we find a bug or a problem that we just cannot fix or do not want to fix, we (jokingly) call it an 'undocumented enhancement'.

It sounds like RCCL is taking this literally and calling something they do not want to fix an 'enhancement'. Too funny.

Liz, last time I checked, there wasn't a roll call for this cruise. I am sure others will chime in though.

I am excited. I am about to go to England for the first time today. Unfortunately, it is just a stop at Heathrow on my way to see my expat son in Nice. At least, I am making a start.

Ahhhh Nice...love going there...one of my favourite places :D

Hope you have a great flight over and a wonderful trip and come back across the pond real soon.:D

Thanks, Liz!

Here is a copy of my response to RCI's email.

"Hi all. As a "Loyal Royal", I would like to share my reaction to this email with you.

As a business person, I understand the need to take actions that reduce the overhead. To me, having customers print their own luggage tags is simply that - a measure taken to reduce your expenses. It is not, as you say in your first sentence, an enhancement. This is something that is going to cost me time and supplies. Since one does not normally affix the ship tags to luggage before a flight, I will also have to take tape/staples with me.

It is not a problem to click the little box at the end of the set sail pass request to ask for luggage tags. Actually, getting them in the mail is a treat - it means that the time for my cruise is nearing. We used to talk on Cruise Critic about doing a "doc dance" up the driveway when we got our cruise documents out of the mailbox. That went by the wayside and now it appears that the luggage tag dance will be as well.

Also, this will not make the luggage drop off run smoother. The luggage drop off process will run the same way it did before assuming one came to the dock with the mailed luggage tags.

So, what am I trying to say? Simply, give your customers some credit. If this is your new procedure, simply outline the new procedure. Be up front with us. Don't tell us you are enhancing my cruise experience when I will be adding another task to my getting ready to cruise. Don't tell us that you are making something easier when the dockside procedure is the same.

Sincerely,

Vicki Elliott"

Hi Vicki,

Mmm I wonder if they are using the MJ as a trial for this on your side of the pond :confused:...it is often the ship used for trials.

I wonder if anyone else who is going on the Majesty this summer received an email saying they can only use the paper tags?

I'm on the Majesty this Summer and have not yet received this email. Although if I want paper Guest Vacation Documents by mail it's $35. I'm not expecting luggage tags... :cool:

I wouldn't even mind paying $5.00 per set of luggage tags as they are so convenient versus having to do your own. That should cover the cost of the tags, printing and mailing!

Mary Anne

Thanks, Liz!

Here is a copy of my response to RCI's email.

"Hi all. As a "Loyal Royal", I would like to share my reaction to this email with you.

As a business person, I understand the need to take actions that reduce the overhead. To me, having customers print their own luggage tags is simply that - a measure taken to reduce your expenses. It is not, as you say in your first sentence, an enhancement. This is something that is going to cost me time and supplies. Since one does not normally affix the ship tags to luggage before a flight, I will also have to take tape/staples with me.

It is not a problem to click the little box at the end of the set sail pass request to ask for luggage tags. Actually, getting them in the mail is a treat - it means that the time for my cruise is nearing. We used to talk on Cruise Critic about doing a "doc dance" up the driveway when we got our cruise documents out of the mailbox. That went by the wayside and now it appears that the luggage tag dance will be as well.

Also, this will not make the luggage drop off run smoother. The luggage drop off process will run the same way it did before assuming one came to the dock with the mailed luggage tags.

So, what am I trying to say? Simply, give your customers some credit. If this is your new procedure, simply outline the new procedure. Be up front with us. Don't tell us you are enhancing my cruise experience when I will be adding another task to my getting ready to cruise. Don't tell us that you are making something easier when the dockside procedure is the same.

Sincerely,

Vicki Elliott"

That was well put , what they should have written is , we are now asking you to print off your own luggage tags because it is less cost and less work for us , thank you for obliging RCI .

It my be a good time for tip enhancement. I will enclose the email from RCL. As they say time is money, and my time is valuable to me. Printing costs, tape costs, and time. This still will not assure timely luggage delivery, or delivery at all.

OK... is there an exact point in which you can request luggage tags? I thought it was when your cruise is paid off & setsail docs are printed? I am not new at this by any means but this is one area that vexes me!!:confused: I don't even have a request button on my reservation page. Have they moved it or is it just me?;) (quite possible:D)

OK... is there an exact point in which you can request luggage tags? I thought it was when your cruise is paid off & setsail docs are printed? I am not new at this by any means but this is one area that vexes me!!:confused: I don't even have a request button on my reservation page. Have they moved it or is it just me?;) (quite possible:D)

It has usually been possible to request luggage tags at the same time cruise docs became available. Around 50 days before the cruise.

If I were to speculate, I would guess that you will see luggage tags, in all their incarnations, disappear.

The fact of the matter is that the porters can and do tag the luggage lightning quick. It's a huge waste of resources for RCI or any cruise line to bother letting people request them. And it's an equally significant waste of time for passengers to bother printing and affixing their own.

The porters do this just like the airlines do, and it doesn't delay the process one bit. In all my cruises, I have never once bothered with luggage tags. It's never slowed down the process at the curb, and I've never had an issue getting my luggage.

Now, I do suspect that a lot of people have an affinity for the luggage tags sort of like they did the old documents that used to come in the mail. It somehow makes it all more real. And it is a tangible sign that the cruise is drawing near. That being said, once you let go of them, you really won't miss them.

The porters do this just like the airlines do, and it doesn't delay the process one bit. In all my cruises, I have never once bothered with luggage tags. It's never slowed down the process at the curb, and I've never had an issue getting my luggage.

The way I see it there is a BIG difference between what the airlines do and what the porters do. Airline luggage tags are printed out. They have a printed record locater number, printed passenger name, printed flight number, and printed airport destination code. Porters write a cabin number on the tag. Period. Transposing numbers while writing them can happen quite easily. Those guys handle hundreds of pieces of luggage a day. Luggage can end up in wrong cabins and even on wrong ships. If luggage goes to an incorrect cabin and the only thing written on the tag is an incorrect number you had better make sure that you have put identifications on it or you will never get that luggage matched up with you.

Maybe you have never had an issue getting your luggage but plenty of people over the years have posted otherwise to these boards.

It has usually been possible to request luggage tags at the same time cruise docs became available. Around 50 days before the cruise.

Thanks Clarea! For some reason I thought I have gotten them earlier in the past. I will calm down & wait since I dont cruise until Sept.;) All this chatter about luggage tags has made me more aware than in the past.:o I'm paranoid!:D

One thing that everyone here has overlooked is the saving of luggage tags. If they posted out 4 and you need 2, then that is 2 that are wasted. What happens to them? By printing your own you have the correct number required and there is less wastage. I would have thought that a lot of people these days would think this is a good thing.

And the time and effort to print them out will be less than the time that you take to read and think about replying to this post.

Thanks Clarea! For some reason I thought I have gotten them earlier in the past. I will calm down & wait since I dont cruise until Sept.;) All this chatter about luggage tags has made me more aware than in the past.:o I'm paranoid!:D

Don't panic. Some will tell you they're available 49 days out but I've had to wait anywhere from 49 to 42 days out before they became available. I recently used a TA for the first time in a while and she told me that sometimes they don't become available until 35 days out.

One thing that everyone here has overlooked is the saving of luggage tags. If they posted out 4 and you need 2, then that is 2 that are wasted. What happens to them? By printing your own you have the correct number required and there is less wastage. I would have thought that a lot of people these days would think this is a good thing.

And the time and effort to print them out will be less than the time that you take to read and think about replying to this post.

Not if your reading ability is above kindergarten level.

I am sitting at DFW waiting to board my flight to London. I wanted to let y'all know I did receive a reply from RCI that said my comments were being forwarded to management.

P.S. It sounds as though the luggage tags can only be printed out one per page. I guess I can copy and paste to set up more than one per page. Otherwise, I'll be wasting paper too.

Hi Vicki,

I'm going on majesty next month and they sent me the sticker type luggage tags. I didn't have to print them

Archived