Booking directly w/Celebrity (long)

NelleS

I don't know what other folks have experienced when booking directly w/ Celebrity, but let me relate what I encountered yesterday. I welcome all comments.

DH & I were on the 4/6-4/16 Equinox (Wonderful ship!). We booked a cruise for this coming December, and, after receiving information about excellent Captain's Club OBCs for newly released itineraies, booked an open passage. The great OBC itineraies had to be booked by 5/18/12.

DH & I selected a 14-day cruise on the Eclipse for 2014. The specific date wasn't important.

I called Celebrity and spoke with a young man. I explained what I wanted so I could use the OBCs. So he gives me a price for an AQ cabin, & states the OBCs, which were less than half what I expected.

When I explained about what I had for OBCs, he seemed very confused and wanted to know "where I was looking" for the OBCs. I had to tell him SEVERAL times about what I had gotten while on board the Equinox.

After the young man talked with his supervisor, he told me he had "great news" in that I DID qualify for the higher OBCs. (uh, why wouldn't I?).

He asked me if I wanted to book the April 2014 sailing, and if so, he needed me to make a small deposit. Uh, what about the open passage deposit I already made? Oh, that was still good, but because the open passage was made on a cruise I had booked through a TA, the TA would get credit for any cruise booked w/the open passage. For me to get the excellent OBCs, I needed to email Celebrity and tell them I wasn't going to use a TA for this particular cruise. A "dummy" reservation would be made w/my small deposit, but once I emailed Celebrity, that reservation would be cancelled, and everything would tranfer back to my open passage number. Plus, my small deposit would be refunded (or I could apply it to the cost of a cruise).

Also, after making the reservation, he told me the price, which was significantly more than what he originally quoted me. When I question the price, I was again told not to worry, that everything would revert back to the original price & OBCs once I emailed Celebrity.

I'm very confused about all this rigamarole. The young man did not inspire any confidence, as he didn't even know that as an AQ passenger, I'd be dining in Blu. And forget his confusion when I asked to be sure that the cabin I booked had the beds nearer the veranda, and not close to the bath/closets. That completely flummoxed him!

It's been almost 24 hours since I gave Celebrity my credit card number, and emailed them regarding not using a TA. My credit card hasn't been charged, not have I had a response to my email.

Thoughts?

Just an observation based upon my own limited experience.

Booking on board shouldn't be a challenge but sometimes can be confusing especially if the on board agent doesn't give you the correct information. In particular, if you used an agent previously, it is in your record and the booking will be placed with that agent UNLESS you indicate otherwise. This should be made clear when you book but generally, since they are so busy, it is often overlooked.

Once the booking is with an outside agent, you run into the problems you described because the cruise line agents don't want to interfer with your relationship with your agent.

When I book on board, I always keep the reservation with the cruise line so I maintain control in the beginning. You can easily transfer the booking to your agent when you get home as long as you do so within 60 days of the original booking.

I suspect all will work out with your reservation but who needs the aggravation.

Thanks, Mark, for your comments.

The cruise we booked for December 2012 IS with our TA. Onboard booking WAS confusing. Biggest problem was the heavy accent of the reservation agent, but that's what happens sometimes. Just checked the price we paid vs. both Celebrity's site & the TA's site - the same across the board.

Still waiting to see what happens with the open passage/booking direct 2014 cruise with Celebrity.

On the confirmation that you would have rec'd there is a number for the Passages Desk (1-888-727-4906). Call them or the Captain's Club (1-800-760-0654) as they are most familiar with the Passages Program and they will be able to see what is going on. It would help if you had the booking/ref number handy (its on the confirmation).

As far as the bed/bath/balcony situation - check what cabin you get assigned against the "sticky" at the top of this board. If your cabin # is not there, someone here will be able to help you.

Hope this helps:

On a recent thread on the 'UK after final payments' several good Celebrity UK reps were mention by name, some with email and phone information. Perhaps our friends across the pond could post recommended US reps.

I have a big issue with Celebrity at the moment, but my rep and the UK boss are NOT answering my emails.

Richard

We bought a couple of future cruise certificates while on board. Didn't list a TA as I didn't have one. Found a cruise and told the TA that I had some certificates. She tried to use them but said that X wouldn't allow it as I didn't have her as the TA on the certificate. I had to Fax a form to get her as the TA and it took a couple of days before it got transfered. I was concerned that I would miss out on the deal and room that I had while waiting. She said that most of her business is with X but nothing is ever easy with them.

On other cruise lines if you get a future deposit all you have to do is redeem it as it is in your name.

When on board the perks will not be standard from ship to ship for the same category. When inquiring they will say that it is not available or don't know anything about that. You can even show them the print out and they say it is wrong.

Thank you all for your suggestions. I didn't even realize I could call the Captain's Club rep to make the booking. Oh, well...

I'll wait another 24-48 hours, and if things are still in limbo, I'll call the Captain's Club desk.

Thanks again!

I guess I'm left wondering why you didn't just have your TA handle all this and save yourself all this aggravation? We book all our cruises with Passages certificates through our travel agent with no problems. If there are problems, she gets to duke it out with her rep. The price is the same. Why take on all that work and potential aggravation? That's how she earns her commission--dealing with the Celebrity landside folks who aren't exactly famous for being the best and the brightest.

On a recent thread on the 'UK after final payments' several good Celebrity UK reps were mention by name, some with email and phone information. Perhaps our friends across the pond could post recommended US reps.

I have a big issue with Celebrity at the moment, but my rep and the UK boss are NOT answering my emails.

Richard

It's against Cruise Critic's rules to recommend specific travel agents on the boards. I'm surprised you found any recommendations.

I just booked a cruise for next April using my Passages cert. I had no problem with Celebrity doing this. They did not ask me for a credit card. I couldn't do it thru my TA because I was told I was suppose to transfer my Passages to her within 60days, did not know that. The Celebrity rep I had was a very knowledgable women.

I just booked a cruise for next April using my Passages cert. I had no problem with Celebrity doing this. They did not ask me for a credit card. I couldn't do it thru my TA because I was told I was suppose to transfer my Passages to her within 60days, did not know that. The Celebrity rep I had was a very knowledgable women.

Not so much. You have 60 days to transfer a booking. The Future Passages has no expiration and is not a booking in and of itself. Until it becomes a booking, there's nothing to transfer.

Not so much. You have 60 days to transfer a booking. The Future Passages has no expiration and is not a booking in and of itself. Until it becomes a booking, there's nothing to transfer.

She did book an actual cruise "I just booked a cruise for next April using my Passages Cert" so therefore she was told correctly.

She did book an actual cruise "I just booked a cruise for next April using my Passages Cert" so therefore she was told correctly.

The rule doesn't seem to be as published as widely on X as on RCCL boards. The 60 days relates to an actual booking. Until the booking is assigned a number, the 60 day clock isn't running.

All of this makes me very pleased that I have sworn off buying Passages in the future. I can almost always find as good a deal or sometimes better using Amex Platinum (not combinable with Passages) or some other special. AND if I should decide to cancel my booking, the $100 Passages value is lost unless I choose an alternative cruise and move the Passages certificate at that moment to the new cruise. It does not seem worth the hassle to me. Admittedly, the one big advantage with Passages is that you have a significantly reduced (virtually no) deposit, so the cruise line is not holding your money for possibly many months. Even given that, IMHO it is not worth the trouble.

I guess I'm left wondering why you didn't just have your TA handle all this and save yourself all this aggravation? We book all our cruises with Passages certificates through our travel agent with no problems. If there are problems, she gets to duke it out with her rep. The price is the same. Why take on all that work and potential aggravation? That's how she earns her commission--dealing with the Celebrity landside folks who aren't exactly famous for being the best and the brightest.

Well, Linda, I didn't really expect that it would be all this work. I called Celebrity to get prices, and was told by a somewhat clueless rep that if I transferred the booking to my TA, I most likely wouldn't get the fairly significant OBCs. Whether or not this is true, I have no way of knowing.

I've never purchased an open passage before, and I'm not sure I will again. if I do, I'll be sure to call the Captain's Club desk first.

As they say, experience is a great teacher!:D

.............He asked me if I wanted to book the April 2014 sailing, and if so, he needed me to make a small deposit. Uh, what about the open passage deposit I already made? Oh, that was still good, but because the open passage was made on a cruise I had booked through a TA, the TA would get credit for any cruise booked w/the open passage. ......
This practice has also caused problems for others who have innocently fallen into the same trap without even realizing what was happening.

If you used a TA for your current cruise, some future cruise sales agents on the ships will automatically try to assign your new open passage to the same TA without even asking your permission to do so.

That almost happened to us. Fortunately, we were aware of the potential problems so we knew that our open passage should not be assigned to any TA.

When you book an open passage, it is important to make sure it is created in your name only, without locking you in to any specific TA.

By retaining control of your own open passage, you have the freedom and versatility to use it however you wish.

Later, after you decide to book a cruise and apply the open passage to it, you will still have 60 days to look around, compare offers, and transfer the booking to any TA of your choice, or not transfer at all.

If you wish to assign it to the same TA you used for the previous cruise, certainly you may do so, but the important difference is that it should be your choice, not something that is done automatically.

Well, Linda, I didn't really expect that it would be all this work. I called Celebrity to get prices, and was told by a somewhat clueless rep that if I transferred the booking to my TA, I most likely wouldn't get the fairly significant OBCs. Whether or not this is true, I have no way of knowing.

I've never purchased an open passage before, and I'm not sure I will again. if I do, I'll be sure to call the Captain's Club desk first.

As they say, experience is a great teacher!:D

Well, it's not true that if you transfer your booking to your TA you lose the OBC. I just booked three back-to-back cruises with my TA and got all the OBC on the current offer PLUS the OBC from the passages certificates.

So in my view, it's not the passages certificates that are the problem. It's trying to book with Celebrity that is the problem.

It's all about who you get when you deal with Celebrity. Some are good, some not so. For example, when I booked the passages cert I just used recently, the FCC said, "I see you made your current reservation with XX Travel Agent. Do you want this passages certificate associated with that agent?" So I did have a choice.

:mad:

Well, I guess it's no big surprise that I got the invoice for the reservation w/the open passage number, and I'm not getting the price or the OBCs. So a call to Celebrity is necessary.

Would it be best to call the Passages Desk or The Captains Club desk?

TIA,

Ellen

We were on the same Equinox sailing with you. We booked a future 2013 cruise from the Future Booking Agents on the Equinox. Many mistakes were made by that office. We had to wait till back home to get mistakes corrected by Celebrity.

We were told by the agent that helped correct booking that when on vacation we should not have to spend so much time trying to book a future cruise.

The agent was very helpful.

Sad that Equinox agents caused several problems with bookings.

I called the Captian's Club desk, and the situation has been resolved. Well, except for the fact that the clueless rep TOTALLY misquoted the price originally - by about 1K! DH is so annoyed that he just wants to cancel the whole thing, but I'm going to wait him out.;)

Oh, and I CAN transfer the booking to my TA.

Linda, you were correct as usual - let my TA handle everything, including the hassles!

We were on the same Equinox sailing with you. We booked a future 2013 cruise from the Future Booking Agents on the Equinox. Many mistakes were made by that office. We had to wait till back home to get mistakes corrected by Celebrity.

We were told by the agent that helped correct booking that when on vacation we should not have to spend so much time trying to book a future cruise.

The agent was very helpful.

Sad that Equinox agents caused several problems with bookings.

What mistakes were made? Can you tell me what happened?

In addition to the Open Passage that I booked, DH & I also booked a December 2012 cruise on the Equinox. I hope THAT isn't screwed up, too! We got a $200 OBC, and paid a deposit of only $100pp.

Archived