I have Questions on Seattle to Vancouver

Himself

If I get into Sea-tac by 11:30 on a flight and I want to try a train to Vacouver, how does one do this? How does one get the train station from Sea-tac and what time does the trian leave for Vancouver? Would I be better off taking the Quick Shuttle to Vancouver.

I am sailing on Wednesday July 11, 2012. Please advise if you can.

Thanks,

Himself

If I get into Sea-tac by 11:30 on a flight and I want to try a train to Vacouver, how does one do this? How does one get the train station from Sea-tac and what time does the trian leave for Vancouver? Would I be better off taking the Quick Shuttle to Vancouver.

Thanks,

Himself

Hello Himself,

Hope you are well. In my past experience, you would be better off taking the Quick Shuttle from the airport to get to Vancouver. This is the suggestion based on you not sailing the same day. The train station is in downtown Seattle, and there are only a few runs that are actually by train. The other ones are by motorcoach departing from the train station. If you decided to take the train option, you would need to either catch a cab to downtown from the airport (approx $35) or public transportation (approx $5-$10) as there is a little bit of distance.

Hope this helps.

DBA

You said 11:30, is that a.m.? If so you should have plenty of time to take light rail to the International District Station. Cross the street and catch Amtrak to Vancouver. Simple, except with too many bags.

http://www.soundtransit.org/Rider-Guide/International-District-Station.xml (about 20 minutes)

Amtrak leaves at 1:00pm if you can make it, then again at 4:45ish, then 6:00pm. Taxi from there to your hotel.

You said 11:30, is that a.m.? If so you should have plenty of time to take light rail to the International District Station. Cross the street and catch Amtrak to Vancouver. Simple, except with too many bags.

http://www.soundtransit.org/Rider-Guide/International-District-Station.xml (about 20 minutes)

Amtrak leaves at 1:00pm if you can make it, then again at 4:45ish, then 6:00pm. Taxi from there to your hotel.

How many of those departures are trains? When we went, the train was early in the morning, and I think all the other trips were by bus.

Thanks,

Himself

If you're going to take the train, spring for business class. They have reserved seats, which is unusual for Amtrak, so it isn't such a rush to get on the train. And they let you off first, which is nice. Try to get a seat on the left-hand side, where the views are best.

Hello Himself,

Hope you are well. In my past experience, you would be better off taking the Quick Shuttle from the airport to get to Vancouver. This is the suggestion based on you not sailing the same day. The train station is in downtown Seattle, and there are only a few runs that are actually by train. The other ones are by motorcoach departing from the train station. If you decided to take the train option, you would need to either catch a cab to downtown from the airport (approx $35) or public transportation (approx $5-$10) as there is a little bit of distance.

Hope this helps.

DBA

Thanks DBA

How many of those departures are trains? When we went, the train was early in the morning, and I think all the other trips were by bus.

There are only 2 trains I believe - th rest being buses. For sure ask over in West Coast Departures. Some super helpful people and very specific answers and advice.

I have taken this route several times. It is an awesome train ride and I highly recommend it. I would call Amtrak directly though and make sure about the departure times (as that is something that may be subject to change).

Thanks,

Himself

This is what we are doing:

fly into Seattle arrive @ noon.

take the "light rail" to the train station drop off our bags

take taxi to Pike market for lunch & a lookie loo

taxi back to train station for our 6:45 departure.

Hotel overnight in Vancouver (Our hotel is near the cruise ship terminal)

go for breakfast & a lookie loo maybe lunch

board the ship in the afternoon.

Thanks for all the information. If I decide to do it I could fly into Seattle on Monday and stay the night and get the early train on Tuesday for the ride up. Thank You for all who replied.

I don't know if you are interested but Edmonds is just north (about 15minutes) from Seattle and there is an Amtrak stop there too (same run just further north). Edmonds is are really cute town with a ferry terminal going to Whidbey Island, great restaurants, beach and shops all around. It is also a town that you can get anywhere walking. There is a nice (and not expensive) hotel a block away from the train station.

I live close by so when we do take the train to Vancouver, this is the station we use.

Either place you take the train, you do have to make sure that you make a reservation.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Okey, I am flying into Seattle on the late morning of July 10th. If I decided to take the train up to Vancouver early on the morning of July 11th what hotel would be near the train station?

I was happy with Best Western Pioneer Square. Anything with Pioneer Square in the name should be close. Within walking distance for me but probably not for most people. As mentioned previously, the light rail runs right across the street from the station so anything near 2nd or 3rd Avenue should be fairly convenient to the station.

Roy

Not likely to be a concern in summer but the BNR (or rather BNSF) tracks often get covered by mudslides during the rainy season. Rail travel will of course get disrupted and you'll be put on busses.

When is the rainy season?

• 1 month later...

Archived