Whale Watching in Juneau

zino5

Anyone have any recomendations on booking an independet whale watching tour. We will be in Juneau on 6/23 we arrive on the Spirt @ 7am. We depart @ 3 and we need to leave time to go to Tracys for a bucket of King Crabs !! :)

The trip on the boat is over 200 per person.. We are looking for like a 3 hour tour.

Thanks !

We went with Harv and Marv and they were great. Wonderful whale trip then they took use on a riding tour and over to Menhaden glacier park. They came recommended here 2 years ago. Pat

Anyone have any recommendations on booking an independet whale watching tour. We will be in Juneau on 6/23 we arrive on the Spirt @ 7am. We depart @ 3 and we need to leave time to go to Tracys for a bucket of King Crabs !! :)

The trip on the boat is over 200 per person.. We are looking for like a 3 hour tour.

Thanks !

Orca Enterprise, we used them, cheaper than the cruiseship tours and on a smaller boat.

Anyone have any recomendations on booking an independet whale watching tour. We will be in Juneau on 6/23 we arrive on the Spirt @ 7am. We depart @ 3 and we need to leave time to go to Tracys for a bucket of King Crabs !! :)

Thanks !

We booked with Alaska galore and used a toursaver coupon - $159 for first person, and second person was free. But I have not gone with them yet. I think they had pretty good reviews on Tripadvisor, plus they were the boat that Harv and Marv was going to put us on because H&M were sold out on our day.

We booked with Alaska galore and used a toursaver coupon - $159 for first person, and second person was free. But I have not gone with them yet. I think they had pretty good reviews on Tripadvisor, plus they were the boat that Harv and Marv was going to put us on because H&M were sold out on our day.

Thanks I was looking at their site last night..Harv and Marv have an age limit and we have a 6 year old. Where did ou get the toursaver coupon ?

Thanks..When will you be going on your trip ?

Hi. I have seen Harv and Marv recomended by a different people. One question. When we were in Hawaii, we went on a whale watching tour. On the way out to the ocean we saw a large Grey Whale and Her Calf surface right next to us (which was fantastic). However, the rules their require that the boat stay 100 yards from the whales, so all we saw the rest of the time were spouts of water out in the distance. Were you able to get closer in Alaska or was your experience similar?

Hi. I have seen Harv and Marv recomended by a different people. One question. When we were in Hawaii, we went on a whale watching tour. On the way out to the ocean we saw a large Grey Whale and Her Calf surface right next to us (which was fantastic). However, the rules their require that the boat stay 100 yards from the whales, so all we saw the rest of the time were spouts of water out in the distance. Were you able to get closer in Alaska or was your experience similar?

Nope these are standard guidelines, and what you saw was NORMAL behavior, expect nothing more on any whale watch tour. Backs, blows and tails, anything else is a gift.

Since we are recommending, I recommend Harv & Marvs. Longer time on the water than most companies including Orca and free drop off/pick up at Mendenhall, which Orca and others charge $18 for.

Harv and Marv sound great, but the OP has a young child and unless you book the entire boat for a private tour they don't allow children which is why they may not be the best choice in this case. We ran into the same issue when we looked at booking a tour with them. They would not allow our children, so we went with Orca and they were wonderful to our kids.

Harv and Marv sound great, but the OP has a young child and unless you book the entire boat for a private tour they don't allow children which is why they may not be the best choice in this case. We ran into the same issue when we looked at booking a tour with them. They would not allow our children, so we went with Orca and they were wonderful to our kids.

That is true. Honestly, it is rare to hear a bad report about whale watching in Juneau, though it does happen. I guess many people like touting one company over another for various reasons (one reason is CC doesn't allow someone to start a post touting operators so perhaps they chime in with their favorites as a subtle form of advertising??). So when I see that happening I tend to chime in too. I missed the part in the OP about the children.

In Alaska the whales are feeding so you may be lucky enough to see them net feeding (bubble feeding) like we did. In Hawaii we were lucky enough to have a whale swim all around out zodiac for almost an hour. Since he came to us we were allowed to stay put. 2 different viewing experiences due to different cycles in the whale year.

We are booked with Orca Enterprises, too.

We have a 5 and 7 year old, and although I really wanted to book with Harv and Marv because of the glowing recommendations found here, they do not accommodate children in their tours.

When I booked with Orca, they said they were also the only accessible tours in Juneau.

I highly recommend Alaska Galore - we used them last year in August and had a wonderful time! Used the 2 for 1 coupon and saved a bundle! Clean boat, prompt pickup, great boat captain. We had a humpback breach 17 times for us -- what a show! All the captains talk to each other on radios and help each other find the whales. we had a marvelous time and saw a TON of whales including orcas! Here is a link to my panraven picture book and there are pics of our whale watch:

http://www.panraven.com/storyviewer/...storyId=218644

I highly recommend Alaska Galore - we used them last year in August and had a wonderful time! Used the 2 for 1 coupon and saved a bundle! Clean boat, prompt pickup, great boat captain. We had a humpback breach 17 times for us -- what a show! All the captains talk to each other on radios and help each other find the whales. we had a marvelous time and saw a TON of whales including orcas! Here is a link to my panraven picture book and there are pics of our whale watch:

Thank you for sharing! Great photography! What a wonderful idea!

Which book has the Alaska Galore coupon?

I believe it was the Alaska Toursaver book. You can go to their website and check out the current coupons in their book before you order it. We saved a ton using both coupon books!

Thanks. I did find it in the Toursaver book listings. I have already purchased the Northern Lights book, which does not have it. I may have to purchase a Toursaver book also.

Does anyone know if there is a market for used books?

We used Adventures in Alaska with Capt'n Jack aboard the Scania. He was great and related many a story about the area and his history.

Not sure if they have a policy for children, but they were fantastic and I'd book with them again if we're ever lucky enough to visit Alaska again.

Archived