1 ¼ tbsp. of butter

¼ tsp. of salt

½ tsp. of yeast

¼ tsp. of sugar

1 egg yolk + 1 tbs. of water (egg wash)

Variations: Course salt, sesame seeds, roasted onion, ground anise,

mixed fresh herbs, hazelnut chilly, garlic, Cajun spice

Preparation:

1. Blend the butter (soft), salt, sugar, yeast, and flour together. Mix well to form dough.

2. Flatten the dough on a sheet tray, cover with cling wrap and refrigerate for a minimum of 24 hours.

3. Take a small handful of the dough and roll out through a regular Pasta machine at number 3.

4. Cut into small pieces and roll through Pasta machine, using the fettuccine blade. (or cut ¼ thin strips with a knife)

5. Lay on the sheet tray, keep at room temperature for one hour, egg wash and sprinkle with course salt (see variations)

6. Bake in a pre-heated oven at 200 degrees until golden brown.

Host Dan

thanks for that Dan but you only need to rest the dough for one hour, not 24 hours. (chef Martin's recipe)

leave room between the strips of dough on the baking tray as they do puff up and out a bit. Not having a pasta machine I simply rolled out the dough and cut the strips by hand, but the dough does need to be very thinly rolled out. Don't over handle. By the time you've cut all the strips, I didn't bother to leave it at room temperature any longer and just stuck in straight in the oven - mind you it took me a while to cut as I had made a lot of dough and had about 6 baking trays lined up waiting to go in the oven!

And of course all a Seabourn regulation 12 inches long!!! LOL!

keep an eye on them in the oven though as they will suddenly "be ready" - you bakers out there will know what I mean! ;):)

thanks for that Dan but you only need to rest the dough for one hour, not 24 hours. (chef Martin's recipe)

leave room between the strips of dough on the baking tray as they do puff up and out a bit. Not having a pasta machine I simply rolled out the dough and cut the strips by hand, but the dough does need to be very thinly rolled out. Don't over handle. By the time you've cut all the strips, I didn't bother to leave it at room temperature any longer and just stuck in straight in the oven - mind you it took me a while to cut as I had made a lot of dough and had about 6 baking trays lined up waiting to go in the oven!

And of course all a Seabourn regulation 12 inches long!!! LOL!

keep an eye on them in the oven though as they will suddenly "be ready" - you bakers out there will know what I mean! ;):)

Thanks for the modification. I copied the recipe from an old SB "Survival kit"! I am definately NOT a baker!!

Host Dan

Thanks for the modification. I copied the recipe from an old SB "Survival kit"! I am definately NOT a baker!!

Host Dan

Me neither LOL!

Now that is interesting - an SB Survival Kit - what else is in that kit I wonder????

Could make a few suggestions but I'll leave the witty responses to the usual suspects! ;):D

Me neither LOL!

Now that is interesting - an SB Survival Kit - what else is in that kit I wonder????

Could make a few suggestions but I'll leave the witty responses to the usual suspects! ;):D

Actually, the "kits" were given on the last night of the cruise. They included postcards, lip balm, hand sanitizer, a blow-up neck rest, and a bunch of other stuff, all in a leatherette pouch. They discontinued these a while back.

Host Dan

Dan,

Those kits were great. Wish they still gave them out as they were a wonderful last impression.

And I have only one modification to the recipe for the breadsticks. It says serves ten. I would amend that to serves one.

Baychilla - chef Martin's recipe on page 9 of ST's last "Live from ? .... Mumbai" - can't for the life of me remember where he got on!

Anyway Chef called for live yeast! But I used dried yeast and it worked out fine.

Wripro - think Chef's quantities would suit you admirably! LOL! I have never seen breadsticks disappear so FAST! :D

Speaking of breadsticks....I dearly love the spreads served nightly in the dining room ~dip your breadstick in one of the delicious butter spreads......pure heaven! I like the garlic butter one, but they are all delicious!

Martita B.

Of course - I was too tired last night to look it up again after having searched for the correct page for Cheffy's recipe, and I just couldn't for the life of me remember! I should have just bumped the thread up for all to read again!

And I'm using my iPad and It doesn't let me do what I want very easily :p;). And as for this prescriptive text/ spelling - strewth it takes me twice as long and you really have t be so careful and read everything back Benfro - see what I mean I wanted BEFORE, not blooming Benfro, whatever that means! - before hitting that post reply button!

Oh for goodness sake - predictive text!

Of course - I was too tired last night to look it up again after having searched for the correct page for Cheffy's recipe, and I just couldn't for the life of me remember! I should have just bumped the thread up for all to read again!

And I'm using my iPad and It doesn't let me do what I want very easily :p;). And as for this prescriptive text/ spelling - strewth it takes me twice as long and you really have t be so careful and read everything back Benfro - see what I mean I wanted BEFORE, not blooming Benfro, whatever that means! - before hitting that post reply button!

and here I thought you were having a "Senior Moment"?:eek:

Hi! Been have same problem. Go to Settings, General, Keyboard, Autocorrection and move it to OFF!!!! Just done it on mine.

I have made the breadsticks a few times and they work fine with dry yeast( do not use the fast rise yeast). I bake almost all of my bread from scratch and I can tell you these bredsticks, as well as any bread, benfit dramatically in terms of flavor from a long rise of the dough before they are cut and left for they are cut.Do let the dough rest in the frig overnight.

Oh no!!! Why did you post this recipe? I adore those breadsticks! (Thank you very much.)

We took our first Seabourn cruise last September. I ruined my appetite more times than not by eating so many of those yummy breadsticks. Mmmm, mmmm, mmmm! The waitstaff was so sweet, always bringing more breadsticks, playing along that my husband and our friends devoured them before I could have one. (Not true!). By the middle of the cruise, they started to bring two containers of breadsticks. Oh geez!

Archived