Do we have to do both Muster Drills on a B2B?

Same cabin for leg two? Maybe would be OK since muster station would not change. Probably good to check onboard with guest services to make sure the list they are going to check eveyrone off of indicates continuation of B2B in same cabin. But rules may have changed post Costa Concordia.

The rule that ALL passengers must attend the muster drill wasn't put into place since the Costa Concordia tragedy. It has been required by RCI for many years prior to that event and any b2bs that we have sailed had the same requirement

I can understand doing it on the first part of the cruise but if you are not changing cabins than the muster station will not change. I have been on a 13 night and a 14 night cruise and I have only done the Muster Drill once. What is the difference on a B2B? Safety is important, I understand that, but what is the need to do it twice? Yes, if you WORK on the ship, of course you are going to do it each time.

Why can’t people be nice on these threads? This is supposed to be a community that helps each other…not lash out. Why can’t someone come on here and ask a question without someone unhappy person saying something negative????

The difference is that on a 13 or 14 night cruise there is only one muster drill which is held at the beginning of the cruise. A B2B cruise is, for all other intents and purposes, two separate cruises and everyone must attend each muster drill. It really doesn't matter if you were on the previous cruise or on dozens of cruises in the past. Honestly, if I were on a B2B and exempted from attending the second muster, I suspect that unless I holed up in my stateroom during that time, I would be constantly explaining the situation to someone who wanted to know why I wasn't at the drill. Since nothing is open during the drill, it seems hardly worth it to be exempted and also it could be that the reinforcement of the information provided at the muster might be valuable should an actual emergency arise during the cruise.:)

The difference is that on a 13 or 14 night cruise there is only one muster drill which is held at the beginning of the cruise. A B2B cruise is, for all other intents and purposes, two separate cruises and everyone must attend each muster drill. It really doesn't matter if you were on the previous cruise or on dozens of cruises in the past. Honestly, if I were on a B2B and exempted from attending the second muster, I suspect that unless I holed up in my stateroom during that time, I would be constantly explaining the situation to someone who wanted to know why I wasn't at the drill. Since nothing is open during the drill, it seems hardly worth it to be exempted and also it could be that the reinforcement of the information provided at the muster might be valuable should an actual emergency arise during the cruise.:)

The SOLAS requirement is that a muster drill should be repeated every 30 days. Princess views a B2B as one cruise and therefore you don't have to attend the second. They also do not close down the ship during the drill. On our last B2B on Princess we spent the time in a bar. RCI considers a B2B as two separate cruises and therefore expects you to attend both drills.

As for the information provided, it's totally minimal and reinforcing it after seven days being valuable...:rolleyes:

actually

SOLAS calls for a drill every 7 days for a cruise over 7 days in length so whether you need one for each 7 days or 2 for 14 days the end is the same . . . (SOLAS is only recommendations and a cruise line can do or not ... except many of the insurers of cruise ships require compliance .... and the US has incorporated most SOLAS regulations into US law as a requirement for a non US ship B4 being allowed to load pass' in a US port {a ship over which we might not have jurisdiction otherwise}

{sadly SOLAS allows a cruise of less than 7 days to have the drills "within 24 hours of sailing"} Hey - they ain't perfect.

actually

SOLAS calls for a drill every 7 days for a cruise over 7 days in length so whether you need one for each 7 days or 2 for 14 days the end is the same . . . (SOLAS is only recommendations and a cruise line can do or not ... except many of the insurers of cruise ships require compliance .... and the US has incorporated most SOLAS regulations into US law as a requirement for a non US ship B4 being allowed to load pass' in a US port {a ship over which we might not have jurisdiction otherwise}

{sadly SOLAS allows a cruise of less than 7 days to have the drills "within 24 hours of sailing"} Hey - they ain't perfect.

Interesting. I understood that the International Convention for SOLAS was a part of the International Maritime Organization, a branch of the UN. The IMO has over 150 members, the US being one of them. The IMO requires all flag states to abide by the SOLAS Convention. Many countries have incorporated those requirements into their own laws, as you stated regarding the US law. Surely that wouldn't make it a suggestion. I also understood that the seven day requirement is for the crew training and to ensure that the lifeboat release drills are in good working order. I further understood that the passenger requirement was once every 30 days and within 24 hours of boarding the ship. I stand corrected. I would never doubt a USCG veteran with two commands under his belt.

Everything is shut down anyway during the Muster Drill. You can't get drinks, or eat, or spa, or swim. All you could really do is lock yourself in your cabin.

That is the case on RCI, but I can assure you that in my experience of two 2B2's on Princess, you can enjoy a quiet drink in a bar.

Wow. The OP just asked a simple question. Others can just answer the question or talk about their experiences. Why can't the others keep their opinions to themselves? So what if nothing is open during the muster drill? I would rather sit and enjoy my balcony that stand through another muster drill.

Someone mentioned maybe it would be easier for the cruiseline to not have another list to check for people not attending. That makes some sense. But if someone on a B2B cruise doesn't want to go to the second one, what's the big deal? Why can't that be an option?

This is my opinion, take it or leave it, but I think that if people actually learned something about saving yourself and your family if an emergency were to happen during muster/safety drills then people wouldn't try to skip them. But I can say that with the exception of learning where my muster station is (which could easily be found on my own) I have never heard anything important about saving my life in the event of a ship emergency.

Muster drills these days go like this:

1. Get to your station

2. Stand in line while you get checked in

3. Stand in line waiting on the drill to start.

4 Stand in line and watch the crew member put on a life vest (seriously, where have you lived, in a cave or something, that you can't figure that out on your own?)

5. Stand in line until you hear them announce what an emergency signal sounds like.

6. Stand in line until the Captain releases you.

All in all it's a pain in the butt with little to no safety information being delivered.

There is no way that 30 minutes is going to prepare people for an emergency or help people keep calm and cool if an emergency happens.

I would rather be required to watch a short training video in the showroom where actual life saving suggestions and helpful information were given. A 20 minute video could visually and audibly SHOW people what to do, where to go, how to board a life boat, how the inflatable boats work, what to do once on the life boat, how children in Adventure Ocean are taken to life boats, how to know your kids are OK, how to get someone in a wheelchair into a life boat, etc.

I DO NOT feel prepared for an emergency after the muster drill.

Don't get me wrong, I go to the drills, even on B2Bs, I'm so excited at being on a cruise that it's not a big deal to participate...but I don't confuse the muster drill with being prepared for an emergency.

Well said.... additionally if an emergency occurs it won't be in a calm everyone walk to your station, you can bet it will be chaos with people pushing and shoving and getting into the first life boat available....

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

I can see whey this is a legitimate question... in the past B2B passengers did not need to attend the second drill on Princess. I do not know if this policy is still in effect after the Costa Concordia disaster.
Princess sometimes calls those 14 day cruises for the people who stay for both weeks. RCI doesn't do that.

Interesting. I understood that the International Convention for SOLAS was a part of the International Maritime Organization, a branch of the UN. The IMO has over 150 members, the US being one of them. The IMO requires all flag states to abide by the SOLAS Convention. Many countries have incorporated those requirements into their own laws, as you stated regarding the US law. Surely that wouldn't make it a suggestion. I also understood that the seven day requirement is for the crew training and to ensure that the lifeboat release drills are in good working order. I further understood that the passenger requirement was once every 30 days and within 24 hours of boarding the ship. I stand corrected. I would never doubt a USCG veteran with two commands under his belt.

That is the case on RCI, but I can assure you that in my experience of two 2B2's on Princess, you can enjoy a quiet drink in a bar.

Something that should probably change post Concordia. The cynics among us might think that this simply means that Princess puts their profit over the safety of their passengers.

Princess sometimes calls those 14 day cruises for the people who stay for both weeks. RCI doesn't do that.

Your absolutely correct, RCI doesn't do that as it no doubt makes their job easier. There are a lot of things I prefer about RCI, just this is not one of them;)! I was really trying to point out the OP had a real question and they seemed like the were getting some shall we say "rough" answers. Have a great cruise whenever it is!

As a retired pilot, everytime that I fly, I count the number of rows, front, and aft to the closest exit..........reason being that if there was an electrical failure, and once the aircraft came to a stop, you need to know how many seat backs to count to the exit door.

The cruise ship industry, as a whole, puts on a very poor demonstration of what to do in the case of a real emergency.

Someone has mentioned that it would be great to have a better demonstration on TV of the emergency procedures, than is shown now. I agree 100%

Included.......what to do in case of fire. The Star Princess experienced a fire that swept across many balconies. What do you do, in case of fire?

The Concordia is a terrible example of how a Master of the ship mishandles a ship evacuation, and there is much to be learned from that.

As we move forward in cruising, and the associations that oversee the safety, I believe that we will see a better understanding of what to do in case of emergency.

That being said, to the OP that posted the question of having to attend a second muster drill, just remember, that to most, it's a new cruise, and if you have had to move to another cabin, you might have a new station.

Even tho the station is on your sea pass, it's your responsibliity to know where that station is........and that is the main reason to take 15 minutes, to be part of the drill, on your B2B.

Have we been excused from attending a second drill.......the answer is yes, but more times than not, we do the drill to be supportive of others.:)

Rick

[quote name='cruisediva07'][FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3][COLOR=indigo]We're very excited to be going on our first B2B in less than two weeks, but I've read conflicting info about the muster drills. [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[SIZE=3][FONT=Times New Roman][COLOR=indigo]Do we have to do both of them?? I can't find it now, but I remember reading somewhere on CC, right after we booked it almost a year ago, that you can show your sea pass card on the second cruise, and you don't have to go through the muster again. Does anyone know for sure? :confused: I'd love to skip the second one if we can. [/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE][SIZE=3][FONT=Times New Roman][COLOR=indigo]Thanks in advance! :D[/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE][/quote]

[SIZE=3]This is a legitimate question from the OP because apparently other cruise lines must have conflicting policies. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=3]But as many of the B2B experienced RCI cruisers have stated it is RCI policy that you are considered a new passenger taking a new cruise therefore you must attend the drill. RCI also requires that all the cabin attendants are responsible to make sure all the staterooms are empty during the drill and all the public areas are closed for business. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=3]I have done many 14day cruises and have always only had one life boat drill. Likewise I have done many B2B cruises (never on Princess) and have always had to do the life boat drill on both cruises. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=3]I am not sure why people who don't know always want to input their opinion as if it should be fact. Their opinion has no value in answering the OP specific question.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=3]Like my grandpa always said if you don't want people to know how d--b you are keep your mouth shut. Ooops I think I might of just disappointed my grandpa.[/SIZE]

[FONT="Comic Sans MS"][SIZE="4"][COLOR="Blue"]As the OP's question is legitimate, and not to hijack but a similar question....If the sailing as two points of embarking (Barcelona and Toulon), are there 2 drills?[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[quote name='co2stay'][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=4][COLOR=blue]As the OP's question is legitimate, and not to hijack but a similar question....If the sailing as two points of embarking (Barcelona and Toulon), are there 2 drills?[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/quote]
I believe there will be, especially after the Concordia tragedy, but attendance at either drill will be required only of those guests who embark at that specific port.

[QUOTE]As a retired pilot, everytime that I fly, I count the number of rows, front, and aft to the closest exit..........reason being that if there was an electrical failure, and once the aircraft came to a stop, you need to know how many seat backs to count to the exit door.[/QUOTE]
Same here. I see people looking at me, wondering, as I nod my head counting the rows.
[QUOTE]The cruise ship industry, as a whole, puts on a very poor demonstration of what to do in the case of a real emergency.[/QUOTE]
Almost as poor as the airline industry, with their obviously disinterested cabin attendants stood in the aisles waving their arms around. A few years ago I was on a flight that used a video demonstration. It also included showing deployment of the slides and how to exit. It was also unique in that it was interesting. Can't remember the airline unfortunately. Senior moment.
[QUOTE]Someone has mentioned that it would be great to have a better demonstration on TV of the emergency procedures, than is shown now. I agree 100%
Included.......what to do in case of fire. The Star Princess experienced a fire that swept across many balconies. What do you do, in case of fire?[/QUOTE]
Couldn't agree more. They need to do something that will catch peoples interest and have it in a place that is comfortable.

If it were me I would go again. Besides after all the drinks and fun times that has passed since the first muster drill I may forget where my muster location is. I would rather be safe than sorry.

So whats 30 minutes of your time for an important drill? In fact this is the problem we have with cruise safety they need to require each and every person to attend the drill or be subjected to denied boarding . Especially with the Concordia Accident people need to take this seriously.

Just imagine if you were in your cabin during the drill and then in the middle of the night there was an emergency and you needed to report to your muster station. Do you think the crew will hold your hand to get you to your location? I wouldn't count on it. Especially on an airplane they have the safety demonstration and they emphasize that even if you are a frequent flier you need to pay attention as each aircraft is different. The same for the cruiseship.

Plus if you move your stateroom around then your muster station will most likely change.

[quote name='smoosh21']Everything is shut down anyway during the Muster Drill. You can't get drinks, or eat, or spa, or swim. All you could really do is lock yourself in your cabin.[/QUOTE]

Not on RCI. The cabin stewards must check every cabin then place a card in the door slot stating it has passed "no occupants" inspection.

[quote name='Desertbelle']This is my opinion, take it or leave it, but I think that if people actually learned something about saving yourself and your family if an emergency were to happen during muster/safety drills then people wouldn't try to skip them. But I can say that with the exception of learning where my muster station is (which could easily be found on my own) I have never heard anything important about saving my life in the event of a ship emergency.

Muster drills these days go like this:
1. Get to your station
2. Stand in line while you get checked in
3. Stand in line waiting on the drill to start.
4 Stand in line and watch the crew member put on a life vest (seriously, where have you lived, in a cave or something, that you can't figure that out on your own?)
5. Stand in line until you hear them announce what an emergency signal sounds like.
6. Stand in line until the Captain releases you.

All in all it's a pain in the butt with little to no safety information being delivered.

There is no way that 30 minutes is going to prepare people for an emergency or help people keep calm and cool if an emergency happens.

I would rather be required to watch a short training video in the showroom where actual life saving suggestions and helpful information were given. A 20 minute video could visually and audibly SHOW people what to do, where to go, how to board a life boat, how the inflatable boats work, what to do once on the life boat, how children in Adventure Ocean are taken to life boats, how to know your kids are OK, how to get someone in a wheelchair into a life boat, etc.

I DO NOT feel prepared for an emergency after the muster drill.

Don't get me wrong, I go to the drills, even on B2Bs, I'm so excited at being on a cruise that it's not a big deal to participate...but I don't confuse the muster drill with being prepared for an emergency.[/quote]

You forgot being sandwiched in the middle of a gaggle of nearly naked drunken co-eds for 15 minutes (gotta love those spring break muster drills):D

[quote name='negc'][COLOR=red]I believe there will be[/COLOR], especially after the Concordia tragedy, but attendance at either drill will be [COLOR=red]required only of those guests who embark at that specific port.[/COLOR][/quote]

[SIZE=3]Again is this fact or fiction?[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]

Archived