Long pants for ice skating?

We were on Oasis this past February and long pants and socks were required. Not leggings, capris, warms ups but long pants. Maybe it's up to the crew who decides what long pants are but no one in shorts or anything except long pants was allowed onto the ice. We saw people turned away.

Jus' relating our experience. BTW, the ice shows were awesome! We don't get much of that here in Florida.

Edited by Diver2014

Is this a suggestion or a rule? If I want to ice skate in shorts, can I? I just can't see packing long pants to the Western Carribbean in June for 30 minutes of ice skating. I ice skate in shorts at home, they are not going to keep me off the ice on the ship are they?

Yep, it's a rule. They consider it a safety rule for ice skating, so I don't think they'll back off of it. Of course, most of us pack pants, anyway, because the also have a rule of no shorts for dinner in the MDR or specialty restaurants. But that being more of a courtesy thing than a safety rule, they are less strict on enforcing it. So, I would suggest either bringing the pants or skipping the ice skating. (It's really more of a novelty for people like me, anyway, who don't get a chance to ice skate at home.)

The Compass stated long pants and socks required. It did not state, however, that an adult MUST be present for a minor to skate.

My 15yo has been skating for well over a decade and even brought his own skates, and they wouldn't let him skate b/c I wasn't there. :rolleyes:

If the Compass had stated "minors must have guardian present" along with the bit about pants and socks, I could have gone with him. As it was, he didn't know where to find me so he didn't get to skate.

That is interesting. Our son did ice skating at that age on the Navigator a couple years back, and we had to sign a waiver, but we didn't have to be present while he skated.

That is interesting. Our son did ice skating at that age on the Navigator a couple years back, and we had to sign a waiver, but we didn't have to be present while he skated.

I checked a recent Navigator info sheet for the teen club that included 12 year olds, and I saw an ice-skating session listed and it stated that 12 year olds needed to have a guardian present. I assume this meant that 12 & under would need a guardian present at any time to go skating, but 13 & over should be fine with the waiver on file which matches your experience. Not sure why brillohead was told their 15 year old needed a guardian present. I wonder if it was just a misinformed crew member?

So... all the questions up to the one just below this writing are from 2012. Pretty sure the earlier questions were answered for the askers. :)

How about leggings for girls? Are those acceptable?

(It's really more of a novelty for people like me, anyway, who don't get a chance to ice skate at home.)

Absolutely. This isn't a moment for the great skaters and at-home hockey players to hone their skills. This is an open skate with rank amateurs on the ice. The near professionals make it VERY scary for the newbies. And when we were on Freedom the rules were no turns, no tricks, etc etc...and they were being as strict as possible with all the talented people who were making it scary and distracting for the brand new skaters on the ice!

" Seems like a stupid rule... he's much more likely to be seriously injured rock climbing or surfing than he is skating!"

Of course, he's more likely to help injure someone else nearby on the ice. Could be a reason they want responsible parties there.

And people, don't stop and chat while on the ice! Not even against the wall. ESPECIALLY against the wall. Inexperienced people NEED that wall and can't *move* if you're up against that wall. If you insist on hanging out at the wall, at least pay attention to people coming up behind you. Or just follow the rules and don't stop at the wall.

So... all the questions up to the one just below this writing are from 2012. Pretty sure the earlier questions were answered for the askers. :)

Ah, yes. I missed the vintage nature of the thread, when I responded. :D

I checked a recent Navigator info sheet for the teen club that included 12 year olds, and I saw an ice-skating session listed and it stated that 12 year olds needed to have a guardian present. I assume this meant that 12 & under would need a guardian present at any time to go skating, but 13 & over should be fine with the waiver on file which matches your experience. Not sure why brillohead was told their 15 year old needed a guardian present. I wonder if it was just a misinformed crew member?

Inconsistent rule application? On a Royal ship? Like that ever happens! :D

Absolutely. This isn't a moment for the great skaters and at-home hockey players to hone their skills. This is an open skate with rank amateurs on the ice. The near professionals make it VERY scary for the newbies. And when we were on Freedom the rules were no turns, no tricks, etc etc...and they were being as strict as possible with all the talented people who were making it scary and distracting for the brand new skaters on the ice!

" Seems like a stupid rule... he's much more likely to be seriously injured rock climbing or surfing than he is skating!"

Of course, he's more likely to help injure someone else nearby on the ice. Could be a reason they want responsible parties there.

And people, don't stop and chat while on the ice! Not even against the wall. ESPECIALLY against the wall. Inexperienced people NEED that wall and can't *move* if you're up against that wall. If you insist on hanging out at the wall, at least pay attention to people coming up behind you. Or just follow the rules and don't stop at the wall.

If you're too scared, you shouldn't be out on the ice. You also shouldn't be out on the ice during the Advanced Ice Skating sessions, when the only people out there are the ones who brought their own skates. :rolleyes:

Quite a generalization, to assume that every experienced ice skater is going to go zooming around near newbies. Believe me, they don't want to be any closer to you than you want to be to them.... they are MUCH more afraid of what kind of lame-brained move you're going to make out on the ice, causing you to fall into them and injure them. (This applies to all public skating sessions, on land and at sea. Newbies are avoided at all costs!)

And I don't know why this isn't spread as common knowledge, but holding the wall is the WORST thing for an inexperienced skater to do. All that does is cause you to constantly lean off-balance to grip the wall. Instead, if you feel unstable, bend and touch your knees. Bending in a squat formation lowers your center of gravity and stabilizes your stance. Touching your knees with your hands prevents you from flailing your arms and throwing off your balance even more.

Try it next time... bend and touch your knees. You'll be like a pyramid, almost impossible to tip over.

Edited by brillohead

If you're too scared, you shouldn't be out on the ice. You also shouldn't be out on the ice during the Advanced Ice Skating sessions, when the only people out there are the ones who brought their own skates. :rolleyes:

I kind of doubt she was talking about advanced ice skating for those who brought their own skates. I don't think a "newbie" would be allowed out there at that time, unless it was a newbie who brought his/her own skates.

Quite a generalization, to assume that every experienced ice skater is going to go zooming around near newbies.

Agreed. Good thing no one made that generalization.

By the way, as an inexperience skater, myself, I understand the "need" for the wall. It's not about trying to skate while holding the wall, but more about not being very good at stopping. Yeah, I know the concept of how to stop, but I'm just not very good at doing it. So, I tend to coast into the wall and grab onto it to help stop my momentum.

Edited by Paul65

You will need long pants (and socks) in order to ice skate. I would bet they hadn't updated that rule...probably an oversight.

It's a safety thing. People regularly fall and ice that people have skated on can have sharp edges.

Iv'e skied in shorts. I've skated in shorts. I've played ice hockey in shorts (with shin pads). I wouldn't go on the ice without a helmet - that's a safety issue. But long pants are a safety issue? Heck I'd be more worried about the germs from the rental skates than exposing a bare knee - YUK!

It's a safety thing. People regularly fall and ice that people have skated on can have sharp edges.

Skates do have sharp edges. If someone falls and hits you with a skate blade a pair of long pants will not protect you. My three boys and I (all hockey players) have lots of old hockey socks with multiple slices in them. This is why lots of players now wear long Kevlar socks under their hockey socks.

Edited by DirtyDawg

Rather than being concerned about someone being "injured", I wonder if the long pants requirement is more of a "health risk" issue.

A skinned knee is going to bleed on the ice, which will likely need to be contained/removed according to some sort of Bloodborne Pathogen protocol.

Being subject to maritime law, this may be a bigger deal than it is on land. Or it may be a function of not being able to easily run a Zamboni over the area after the blood is removed.

Rather than being concerned about someone being "injured", I wonder if the long pants requirement is more of a "health risk" issue.

A skinned knee is going to bleed on the ice, which will likely need to be contained/removed according to some sort of Bloodborne Pathogen protocol.

Being subject to maritime law, this may be a bigger deal than it is on land. Or it may be a function of not being able to easily run a Zamboni over the area after the blood is removed.

Could very well be. We Northeners just use our skates to scrap the ice and shovel up the frozen blood. Zamboni's are only used for bench clearing, blood letting brawls.;):D Maybe that's what's happening on Royal's ice rinks.:eek:

Edited by DirtyDawg

Could very well be. We Northeners just use our skates to scrap the ice and shovel up the frozen blood. Zamboni's are only used for bench clearing, blood letting brawls.;):D Maybe that's what's happening on Royal's ice rinks.:eek:

Another Northerner here! :D

When my 6yo kid was in Mites, his coach told the team his number one rule -- if you're gonna puke, do it ON THE ICE, not at the bench. The ice can be scraped and shoveled... the bench floor will just stink forever! :eek:

I wore nylon workout pants and they let me skate in them. They were lightweight and didn't take up any "real" extra room in my suitcase. I also wore them for power walking and in the gym once or twice.

Enjoy!

DD(29) wore the same thing on Navigator. They turned people away who did not have on long pants and socks.

I doubt that, it was years ago and I do not have the thread but a little child had a portion of their finger cut off while skating on-board.

Anyone else remember that? It may have been about 6-7 years ago.

###