Costa Concordia to be refloated and towed away...

ASIWISH

If I recall the info posted here by B-I-L of owner of Salvage Company.....

IF they get the ship towed to whatever boatyard the company names, they get a handsome payment.

If the ship is not delivered, the pay is very much smaller.

It is certainly in their best interest to deliver it. :)

It will be a huge task to get her into shape for sailing again. In addition to furnishings, carpet, and so forth, there's probably damage to wiring, fire sprinkers, plumbing, all sorts of things. What happens to engines, generators, elevator motors, etc when they've been under water and on their sides for several months?

If they salvage the ship, the only thing that could be reused at this point is the hull and parts like the propellors, anchors, chains, etc. I think the ship would have to be completely stripped of everthing mechanical and electrical.

... by B-I-L of owner of Salvage Company.....

Re-read http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=31966532

This also probably means she will sail again after repairs.

That is what the media had stated, that it was a possibility. It kind of saddens me, and I know I would never cruise on that ship, regardless of what it becomes. And I rarely say never.

I expect she will completely disappear from view if they can refloat her. The company will make every effort to wipe her out of the news.

If they are successful, which is doubtful, and she is salvagable, she will reappear in a few years almost unrecognizable.

Many ships have been rehabilitated in the past. It will be interesting to see if she can be put back into service in a positive way.

I would not care to sail on her because of her size, not so much because she had been abused by a stupid master.

IMO

I keep thinking about the ones who were still missing..Did they ever find them? If not perhaps they will recover them when they float the ship

Last I heard there was still 2 missing. We had been waiting to hear about the couple from Minnesota. They have been found and identified.

Thanks for your answer..I wasn't aware that they found the Minnesota couple..Hopefully, they can find the others so the families can get some closure..Betty

Thanks for your answer..I wasn't aware that they found the Minnesota couple..Hopefully, they can find the others so the families can get some closure..Betty

It's so important for the families to have bodies to bury. I hope they find all the deceased and can return them to their families.

Last I read there isnt a decision on what they are going to do with the Concordia was it is refloated and moved. I'm curious if they are thinking of refitting it and putting it back into service. It was a beautiful ship but I think most would be uneasy about sailing in her again!

Oosterdam Alaska 2012, Golden Princess Alaska 2011, Emerald Princess Caribbean 2010 , Zuiderdam Panama Canel 2009,Golden Princess Alaska 2008, Monarch of the Sea Mexico 2007, Oosterdam Alaska 2006, Diamond Princess Alaska 2005, Celebrity Horizon Caribbean 1999, Westerdam Caribbean 1997, Celebrity Zenith Caribbean 1992

I'm sure we all know it's about the $$.

If they can repair it for less than it costs to build a new ship, repairs will be done.

I sincerely doubt she will ever sail again with a yellow funnel. :eek:

Beats me what cruise company would 'buy her'. It also beats me Carnival Corp would keep her in any of their fleets.

What do they do with the ship once it's repaired?

This also probably means she will sail again after repairs.

She has been declared a Total Constructive Loss by Carnival Corp. I understand that this means it would cost more than it is worth to put her back into service. I think I saw the salvage price tag was over $300 million and that is just to get her off the rocks and not refurbishing her.

I doubt if they could get anyone to cruise on her if she was rebuilt regardless of what company operated.

After they refloat her I would think the next stop would be the breakers yard, possibly in Europe as I don't think they would like the further bad publicity of it being beached in a 3rd world country being cut up by the locals with little safeguards and poor pay.

After they refloat her I would think the next stop would be the breakers yard, possibly in Europe as I don't think they would like the further bad publicity of it being beached in a 3rd world country being cut up by the locals with little safeguards and poor pay.

I'm thinking, if/when the decision to scrap her is/has been made, Aliaga, Turkey would be a good candidate. In that case, I don't see her going to Alang, India or Kaohsiung, Taiwan

And add two more.

It will be a huge task to get her into shape for sailing again. In addition to furnishings, carpet, and so forth, there's probably damage to wiring, fire sprinkers, plumbing, all sorts of things. What happens to engines, generators, elevator motors, etc when they've been under water and on their sides for several months?

Costa says they'll evaluate the situation after they get her floated off the rocks. I'm still thinking that "Toyotas and razor blades" could still be in her future.

I am sure that if the salvage company floats the ship and brings her in to a decent ship yard, the ship will be stripped to the hull and refitted to Current standards. Most likely, when she is re-commisioned few people will know that the ship was in bad shape, or even what her name was..... In some previous life.

I am sure that if the salvage company floats the ship and brings her in to a decent ship yard, the ship will be stripped to the hull and refitted to Current standards.
Did you read post 37? It could cost more to rebuild than it would be worth.

[quote name='crusinbanjo']I am sure that if the salvage company floats the ship and brings her in to a decent ship yard, the ship will be stripped to the hull and refitted to Current standards. Most likely, when she is re-commisioned few people will know that the ship was in bad shape, or even what her name was..... In some previous life.[/QUOTE]

Can she be repaired and refloated as a cruise ship?

I would hope that the ship never sails again. The loss of life, the poor management - it needs to be scraped.

Living in the same area as the Heil's that were lost for so many weeks in the sunken ship; and all the news stories about that wonderful couple - I feel it would be very disrespectful to repair the ship and sail it.

I hope the ship captain pays his dues for those that have died. I applaud the crew that worked so hard to save people without any direction. And I hope the ownership of the cruise line takes a long hard look at the charactor of the people they employ and their emergency procedures.

We will have to see. The Carnival Splendor cost $700 million to build. I have no idea how much would it cost to strip and refit the Concordia. Who owns her now? If she was a total loss that would mean the insurance company owns her???

[quote name='jtl513'][FONT=Franklin Gothic Medium][SIZE=3]Did you read post 37? It could cost more to rebuild than it would be worth.[/SIZE][/FONT][/quote]

Well, things like this are very hard to put cost estimates on, the hull is still very new and with estimates of revenues & costs over the expected useful life of the ship, some investors might just think differently. Just MHO of course.

[quote name='Himself']Can she be repaired and refloated as a cruise ship?[/quote]

I don't think it's impossible. They will repair her enough to refloat her and take her to a shipyard somewhere. Costa says they will make the evaluation then.

Sail is right. It's about the $$.

Concordia probably COULD be refitted as a cruise ship. But is it worth the cost of doing that? Costa won't know for sure until they see what has to be replaced (I'm thinking pretty much everything but the hull, metal decks, and bulkheads). And at that time, they'll also look at her value as scrap or as a hull to be sold to someone else. The beancounters will crunch the numbers, and a decision will be made then.

My guess is "Toyotas and razorblades," but that's just my opinion. I don't claim to know what costa WILL do.

[SIZE=4]As mentioned above, the insurance company will own her. They will renumerate Costa for the value of the ship and then they will own the salvage. Rather than invest millions into a refit they likely will sell the salvage hull to a third party. The insurance company is not in the ship building business. Will the new owner refit her ?? who knows, its all dollars and cents.[/SIZE]

• 2 weeks later...
Could always get an R title for her like we can do with our cars! Settle the claim for less + w/e their deductible, keep the boat and use that $ from the insurance company to refit... you'd be surprised how many times folks do that with their cars.

Derek

Archived