Will my Kindle work on Century in Alaska?

jtsbusiness

Instead of taking my usual bed time reading, I have been offered a Kindle to take with me to reduce weight and increase my packing capacity. Question is, will it work whilst cruising in Alaska on Century :confused::)

Can all you techno experts help me please

Instead of taking my usual bed time reading, I have been offered a Kindle to take with me to reduce weight and increase my packing capacity. Question is, will it work whilst cruising in Alaska on Century :confused::)

it will work if you have downloaded books and video's. streaming won't work unless you connect it to the ships wifi...which you don't want to do as it is extremely slow and expensive...

Not sure what you think wouldn't "work" on the Kindle. I have had mine for 2 1/2 years and have used it all over the world - even was able to download a book at RCI's private beach/island at Labadee, Haiti (not the world's best place for wifi.) I used mine just fine on Celebrity Infinity to Alaska last year.

You will be able to use it just fine and there will be plenty of signal all around to download another book if needed. Also, you could just load it up before you go. Take your cable to charge it up - I have 3 different charging options for mine - a portable charger I take with me off the ship or away from home, my USB charger and the wall charger- never travel without them!

Enjoy - the Kindle makes travel that much easier!!

Thanks.

As it is WiFi I thought there might be a problem with the signal very much like if you wanted to connect to the internet with a laptop.

As you can see I am very much a techna phobe and know very little about the way they work :o

Not sure what you think wouldn't "work" on the Kindle. I have had mine for 2 1/2 years and have used it all over the world - even was able to download a book at RCI's private beach/island at Labadee, Haiti (not the world's best place for wifi.) I used mine just fine on Celebrity Infinity to Alaska last year.

You will be able to use it just fine and there will be plenty of signal all around to download another book if needed. Also, you could just load it up before you go. Take your cable to charge it up - I have 3 different charging options for mine - a portable charger I take with me off the ship or away from home, my USB charger and the wall charger- never travel without them!

Enjoy - the Kindle makes travel that much easier!!

Caution, charging with the USB port on laptop doesn't work very well, at least on the one I have. When the computer is not being used it goes to sleep, it turns the power to the USB port off. The Kindle will not be charging.

FYI--If you have a balcony cabin, be aware that there's no lighting on the balcony for nighttime reading so you may want to look into the cover with the pop-up light. I love having a Kindle on a cruise especially since it means that I can forgo many of my bulky guidebooks! I think it's one of the best inventions since sliced bread. ;)

I suspect you might have problems getting the WiFi to connect to the ship WiFi system if that is your intent. The ship WiFi requires you to log in each time and I'm not sure how the Kindle web browser will do that. If you're in port, you might be able to connect via their cell connection. But, as others said, load it up before you go to be sure of having enough reading material.

j

Caution, charging with the USB port on laptop doesn't work very well, at least on the one I have. When the computer is not being used it goes to sleep, it turns the power to the USB port off. The Kindle will not be charging.

That is the same for everyone who has their computer set to go to sleep mode within a few minutes of not being used - when charging by USB with the laptop, you simply need to change your sleep settings to more time before it sleeps and the Kindle will keep charging. otherwise, the wall charger is always a great option.

As for the WiFi- you don't actually have to log onto the ship's account - it will pick up any WiFi signal - and as you are in ports most days of the cruise, you should have no problem with any hotspot.

Also - when I searched and downloaded my book in Haiti (and here in St. Lucia, and other places around the US, for that matter) I didn't have to log into any WiFi service - it automatically links up. I don't have WiFi here at home - we are on a DSL connection (still a developing country) and get 3 bars or better of signal for downloading books around the house and at the beach (there is no house within a mile of us and no local Starbucks or the like to be pirating a wifi signal from) Hence, being able to download when onboard in Alaska last year - we weren't usuing the ship's wifi.

And I have one of the first generation Kindle's - it's white even, they haven't been white for 2 years! So, the signal reception has only gotten better.

All in all - you should have zero problems using the Kindle, downloading books, charging, etc. definitely do look into the covers with lights or one of the clip on lights - I wish I had one for on planes, but the covers with lights aren't available for my generation anymore- and getting a clip on is a hassle to get shipped down here. Will wait for the next trip up Stateside.

Enjoy the cruise (

Jtsbusiness,

Based on the question and your further response, I'm guessing that you don't really know how the Kindle works yet as it's probably very new to you.

First and foremost, the Kindle is a book reader. While connected to wifi, you purchase and download a book. Once your book is downloaded, it's on the Kindle and you don't need Wifi access to read the book. Make sure that the books are actually downloaded and not just available on the Cloud. Books with a little arrow surrounded by a circle in the botton right hand corner of the book are in the cloud. Select that book to begin downloading it. You can have many, many books downloaded at a time.

Similarly (and especially if you have a Kindle Fire -- the color Kindle), you can purchase and download movies, TV shows, games, etc., while connected to Wifi. Once these items are downloaded, they're on the Kindle and you don't need Wifi to view the movie, play the game, etc.

You can also access the internet on your Kindle. To do that, you'll have to have Wifi access.

On the ship, there is Wifi access. It's generally perceived to be pricey and slow. Alternatively, if you run out of things to read while on the cruise and don't want to pay for Wifi access on the ship, you can likely get free or much cheaper Wifi in one of the ports (e.g., a coffeehouse, etc.)

Thanks.

As it is WiFi I thought there might be a problem with the signal very much like if you wanted to connect to the internet with a laptop.

As you can see I am very much a techna phobe and know very little about the way they work :o

You don't need the WIFI when you are reading books that are all ready downloaded. You only need the WIFI on when you need to download new books. I have the WIFI turned off when I don't need books. Mine is always loaded up with plenty of books before I leave on the cruise. Leaving the WIFI on drains the battery faster.

You don't need the WIFI when you are reading books that are all ready downloaded. You only need the WIFI on when you need to download new books. I have the WIFI turned off when I don't need books. Mine is always loaded up with plenty of books before I leave on the cruise. Leaving the WIFI on drains the battery faster.

Glad I read this thread, I didn't know that leaving the WIFI on drains the battery, thanks for the tip!

Glad I read this thread, I didn't know that leaving the WIFI on drains the battery, thanks for the tip!

YES, make sure the WiFi is turned off or the battery will drain very quickly. Otherwise the battery will last a long time unless the Kindle battery has been drained down by the owner several times. Then it won't last as long. My Kindle (don't know about all of them) is a little confusing as far as when the WiFi is actually "on" or "off". If it is "off" it will say (under settings on Home Page) it will say "Turn WiFi "on". This means it is already "off" and that's what you want unless you are using the WiFi. Always make sure the WiFi is off if you are not actually using it.

Don't know if your friend has a case for the Kindle but there are little lights that can be attached to the inside of the case so you can read in the dark.

I hardly ever use my Kindle anymore. I use my android which has the Kindle and the Nook apps on it. The battery doesn't last as long but I like it better because it really lights up and is much easier to use the internet. I have Kindle and Nook on my laptop too and if I download a book I sync all three gadgets so whatever I happen to be reading so I can read my current book on any of the three. (You have to be on the internet though when you sync the gadgets but then you can read on any of the three)

If you are in port and within range of a FREE wifi, or the Wispernet service, you can download all you want.

If you out of range of the service, you can not use it. You can login to internet with the ships service - expensive and slow.

Download your books before you leave and no problem.

Several posts here state that the Kindle will connect to WiFi automatically. That is dependent on the configuration of the WiFi access point. Some are completely open and the Kindle would then connect once you've gone into the menu and told it to connect to that access point. However, many access points such as those in hotels and on the ships require that you connect first using a web browser, possibly enter an ID and/or password, and assent to their license terms.

Again, as said here by many, download your books before you leave and then turn off WiFi to reduce battery drain.

j

If that is a problem with your computer, just change the settings so that it does not sleep while you are charging.

Sue

That is the same for everyone who has their computer set to go to sleep mode within a few minutes of not being used - when charging by USB with the laptop, you simply need to change your sleep settings to more time before it sleeps and the Kindle will keep charging. otherwise, the wall charger is always a great option.

As for the WiFi- you don't actually have to log onto the ship's account - it will pick up any WiFi signal - and as you are in ports most days of the cruise, you should have no problem with any hotspot.

Also - when I searched and downloaded my book in Haiti (and here in St. Lucia, and other places around the US, for that matter) I didn't have to log into any WiFi service - it automatically links up. I don't have WiFi here at home - we are on a DSL connection (still a developing country) and get 3 bars or better of signal for downloading books around the house and at the beach (there is no house within a mile of us and no local Starbucks or the like to be pirating a wifi signal from) Hence, being able to download when onboard in Alaska last year - we weren't usuing the ship's wifi.

And I have one of the first generation Kindle's - it's white even, they haven't been white for 2 years! So, the signal reception has only gotten better.

All in all - you should have zero problems using the Kindle, downloading books, charging, etc. definitely do look into the covers with lights or one of the clip on lights - I wish I had one for on planes, but the covers with lights aren't available for my generation anymore- and getting a clip on is a hassle to get shipped down here. Will wait for the next trip up Stateside.

Enjoy the cruise (

As another "white" Kindle owner [we bought them as soon as they were available her in the UK so they are 2G] don't worry too much about not being able to buy the cover with the built-in light, the clip on ones are great. They are easy to find in the UK so I am sure that you will pick one up in the US easily enough.

Sue

You might want to find out which Kindle it is. Some Kindles do not need a wireless connection. They get free ATT 3g connection. Ask the person loaning it to you about the connection. I was able to download in all the ports on our last cruise to Alaska.

If it's a Kindle, not a Kindle Fire don't look for a cloud symbol, since it isn't on a Kindle.

The easiest way, is to download the books before you board. They hold a lot, so get everything you think you might want. I have over 1000 books on mine.

Be warned though, it's hard to go back to paper books after getting used to a Kindle.

Another packing list item not to forget - your Kindle charging cord with its adaptor. You will need the adapter as well as the cord for recharging. I forgot my adapter on a recent long cruise and ended up asking ship's staff to help me with the recharging. I profusely thanked two staff who charged my Kindle on their personal laptops. I've had a Kindle for three years and now have two, both the original Ereader and the Fire. The greyscale screen on the Ereader is superb for reading outdoors. You can even read in the bright sunshine. The Fire is a better indoor reader, but loads of fun for its variety. Just make certain you have downloaded lots of books, including tour and travel guides for the ports and countries you are visiting. There are brief travels guides at nominal cost available for many areas. The're a great reference when you want some info on your next port of call. Also, if you're a newspaper person and have available wifi or 3G you can download your daily newspaper and read at your leisure with your morning coffee. You'll enjoy the Kindle travel experience.

Wow such a wealth of information. I am so grateful to everyone that has responded.

It is a Kindle 4 Wifi Not Kindle touch. It comes with a USB connection and I have just purchased a plug to charge at mains.

After your recommendations I have also purchased an LED light attachment, so now all I have to do is ensure I download books I want and I am all set to go :D

Thanks again everyone. If there are any more titbits of advice, then please keep it coming :)

I've sailed on Constellation, Summit, and Solstice, most recently in March of 2012. All Celebrity ships use a flaky front-end to their wireless internet system. I'm an IT professional, degreed in Computer Science and I couldn't do it myself.

On the March 2012 cruise, I made the mistake of turning on my device near the Customer Relations desk. This connected me to a "crew" access point, which prevented any subsequent connection to a normal passenger connection / dialogue.

The Internet lounge people had to make calls to reset IP addresses, call to Customer Relations to reset something in my profile, and a half-hour of wait time.

I endured a similar experience when initially signing up for my account.

The initial Wi-Fi sign-up procedure is a printed sheet which says things like "sign in with a fake user id, then when the dialogue it tells you it's not found, use a real user id of your Room number and Name.

Plan on budgeting time to spend with the Internet lounge people to get your connection set up. It's not intuitive, not standard, and not something you can control yourself.

I spoke with one of the officers who said Celebrity was currently in negotiations to revamp their whole customer IT setup.

• 2 months later...

I did use my kindle on ship but used hotspot in port to avoid ship spendy Internet when I did download new release on Tuesday. Ship internet is slow and expensive. I did keep my kindle wireless off except the one time to conserve battery. We had balcony 6048. There is a light out on balcony overhead but as the weather was cold and wet didn't sit out there much. Hope this helps.

It will work anywhere.

DON

Archived