Bringing wine on board

jamscckmc

OOPS, missed your link to the shipping carrier. :o Yep I agree. If you are flying with valuable and hard to find bottles of wine, that carrier looks great. If stopped, paying the corkage fee and keeping the bottles would certainly be the option you would follow. BTW, if you cruise Oceania, there is no limit...ever.;)

Happy cruising!

Thanks for the tip. :D I have noted that many (most?) of the higher level cruise lines like Regent Seven Seas and Seabourn have no restrictions. I can add Oceania to the list. But for now, Princess stands alone as the most affordable line that either does not have a limit, or ignores the limit, which is one of the biggest reason that it gets my business.

Thanks for the tip. :D I have noted that many (most?) of the higher level cruise lines like Regent Seven Seas and Seabourn have no restrictions. I can add Oceania to the list. But for now, Princess stands alone as the most affordable line that either does not have a limit, or ignores the limit, which is one of the biggest reason that it gets my business.

Holland America allows you to bring on as much wine as you wish.

When visiting ports while on the cruise, do they still allow you to purchase and bring aboard or are their restrictions?

On my last Southern Caribbean cruise, I bought two bottles of rum and brought them onboard with no problem. On my Panama Canal cruise I bought two bottles of rum and brought them onboard, again with no issue.

They frown on bringing hard liquor on board but no limit on wine and beer.

I always wondered about that. When your checked luggage is x-rayed before transporting it on board to your stateroom, can they tell if it is a bottle of liquor or a bottle of wine without opening your luggage?

I always wondered about that. When your checked luggage is x-rayed before transporting it on board to your stateroom, can they tell if it is a bottle of liquor or a bottle of wine without opening your luggage?

I believe they can see the difference but the people doing the scanning don't care one way or the other.

Even on a return to the ship at a distant port the people at the scanners don't say a word & it's left up to the individule to turn in their purchases at the check in desk and the guy at the check in desk couldn't care less about what you have on any bags or boxes unless it has an advertizement on the side.

We had a friend whos alcohol was confiscated based on the xray. It was on NCL. We have never had a problem though. we wrap it in clothes and bury it. He opened it the night before at the hotel and it was tossed in right on top. You get it back on the last night. We always bring it on. thats the only instance

so you know what happens - your bag wont show up to your room - so you think its "lost" then you go ask about it at the desk and they pull it out with this bright sticker on it. They tell you they believe you have something - ask to search it in front of you take it and label it and return it at the end. I think they told him his bag was in the naughty room or something

Just sailed in March (Crown Princess) and "regulations" state 1 bottle of wine (750 ml) per adult (>21) and in carry on luggage only. We followed this and had no problems. Did observe a few others in line with cases of soda and or beer. Not sure if they were able to get it on board or not.

FLL has some nice stores with proper French, Italian and now Argentinian wines. A good Malbec will blow away anything from Napa and a good Veneto is far superior to Russian Valley. Too bad the cruise lines continue to try to peddle the California over-oaked chardonney even on European cruises. The exceptipn is Azamara.

Just sailed in March (Crown Princess) and "regulations" state 1 bottle of wine (750 ml) per adult (>21) and in carry on luggage only. We followed this and had no problems. Did observe a few others in line with cases of soda and or beer. Not sure if they were able to get it on board or not.

The only Princess "regulation" is the passenger contract and there is no limit stipulated. On their website they talk about 1 bottle per person but it is, no doubt, to discourage passengers from going overboard (figuratively!).

The only Princess "regulation" is the passenger contract and there is no limit stipulated. On their website they talk about 1 bottle per person but it is, no doubt, to discourage passengers from going overboard (figuratively!).[/quote

We brought a case on our last 14 day TA! Slapped a luggage tag on the box and checked with the luggage.

Hand rolled it throught the scanners. No Problems. Bought two cases of wine in ensenada. Carried it through the scanners. No Problems.

P.s. The wine in Ensenada is shockingly good. Take that tour if you go there. beautiful Valley. Great Fume and Chenin Blancs and also some nice reds including a Niebello for $15.00 that will blow away most napa Valley ones for $50.00. They claim they sell their grapes to many boutique wineries in Napa.

P.s. The wine in Ensenada is shockingly good. Take that tour if you go there. beautiful Valley. Great Fume and Chenin Blancs and also some nice reds including a Niebello for $15.00 that will blow away most napa Valley ones for $50.00. They claim they sell their grapes to many boutique wineries in Napa.

Assuming you mean Nebbiolo, I am not aware of a single Nebbiolo based wine from Napa selling for $50. Here's a decent read:

http://fbworld.com/2011/05/06/italian-varietals-making-real-strides-in-california/

The most serious Italian varietals made in California come from the Central Coast, and probably no one does it better than Steve Clifton of Palmina. He sells one wine for more than $50. But other than that, most domestic Nebbiolo retails for under $35.

As far as selling grapes to California wineries, (especially in places like Napa, Sonoma or the Central Coast), I suspect that something got lost in the translation. It is possible, (likely?) that certain cuttings came from Mexico and have been grafted on to local rootstock. But it would be odd indeed, given California's AVA laws and labeling requirements, for the grapes themselves to come from across the border to be used in these areas. There are some wineries in and around the San Diego area that use Baja grapes, but to call these wineries "boutique" would be a leap. Unconstrained by AVA requirements, (since there is no AVA in San Diego), they can use whatever they please.

We brought on a case of wine and a case of water in Fort Lauderdale 2 weeks ago. Be careful about packing this in your checked luggage as someone traveling with us had a wine bottle break all over their clothes and had to spend the first night doing laundry.

Previously, we have checked a case of water with a luggage tag securely taped to it. But how can you bring onboard a case of wine when they say 1 bottle per person. Do you also tape that up and check it with your baggage, which is what we did with the water......

Previously, we have checked a case of water with a luggage tag securely taped to it. But how can you bring onboard a case of wine when they say 1 bottle per person. Do you also tape that up and check it with your baggage, which is what we did with the water......

Which is exactly what we did....We did use a few wine diapers on the corner bottles in the box....but then we taped it up and put the luggage tag on it and dropped if off with the luggage. We tipped the luggage handlers as usual.

The wine arrived in our cabin along with the suitcase. ;)

We can discuss the so called "one bottle" per person issue, but it's been talked to death! There is the contract and the rules...it's whatever! We paid our corkage fee when we brought it to dinner.

You need to go by the official contract that you entered into with Princess -- no limits are mentioned. We have always brought more than one case of wine with us and add to it at our ports. In Ensenada a few months ago on the Sapphire Princess, we took a Princess excursion and they gave us each a bottle to bring back to the ship.

It is allowed.

As a friendly reminder yet again, since the Contract does not specify unlimited, Princess can at any time under other parts of the contract limit the amount brought on board. They are currently not doing so in most cases, but in the event they choose to do so, the contract is no defense.

The only Princess "regulation" is the passenger contract and there is no limit stipulated. On their website they talk about 1 bottle per person but it is, no doubt, to discourage passengers from going overboard (figuratively!).

As a friendly reminder yet again, since the Contract does not specify unlimited, Princess can at any time under other parts of the contract limit the amount brought on board. They are currently not doing so in most cases, but in the event they choose to do so, the contract is no defense.

I think you must be confusing this thread for a similar one because I don't see where you posted your initial "friendly reminder". :D

At any rate, I haven't found anywhere else in the contract where they talk about being able to limit the amount of wine brought on board. I'd like to understand how they could arbitrarily allow some people to bring on multiple bottles of wine and refuse others the same privilege. I can assure you that there will be folks coming on board with a case(s) of wine and they will not go gentle into that good night if their wine is confiscated and held until the cruise is over. :eek: Princess will need to include limits in the passage contract in order to eliminate this practice.

We had no problem on our last cruise with princess and it is one of the main reasons that I have booked with them again. Roll on Next Friday. Speaking of which I am just off to open a nice cab sav a Chilean one. Bottoms up.

Archived