United Airlines

robgvic

I am planning on using up some of my ff points and flying from Chicago to London in the first class cabin. Has anyone used United recently? How is United in general now?

You might be better off going to an airline specific forum like FlyerTalk where people talk specifically about one airline or frequent traveler program. Here's a link to the United forum:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-mileageplus-consolidated-681/

Check what the aircraft is that is being used for your flight, there is a difference between the various configs especially since some of the flights are on former Continental metal.

Flyertalk is a great choice, as are the Skytrax seat rankings and Seatguru.com.

You are looking for birds that are equipped with the new lay flat seating in first, upper deck on a 747 is great if offered. This is usually referred to as United GlobalFirst. United BusinessFirst is a hybrid and consists of seats closer to what you would find on domestic flights but with better food and amenities.

I am looking at flying from Vancouver to London through Chicago. The Chicago London flight is A767 with the flat beds. I usually use my Aeroplan points to fly Air Canada's Executive First which I always enjoy but there is no space. The advantage of using United is alos that, where AC charges 1200 tax and fees , UA only charges 364.

I am just wondering how the service is. Considering that to buy a ticket woudl be over $11 000 soIdont think they could give bad service

Remember you can also use your United FF points on the United site to book travel on United's partners.

You might find an airline you would rather fly or find seats that are not available on United when you want to travel.

United, while nice in First, will not compare with many non-US airlines. That is why it has been suggested to see if you can go with a non-US affiliate of United.

The lay flat seat in First is United's strong point- they do it as well as anybody. But service and food may be better elsewhere.

Thanks Timber. Yhat is what I was hoping. What was the food like?

We all have different "tastes" and standards, but from mine I could not have asked for better service. I found the food offerings to be more than satisfactory. This was a 747, the first class seats are at the very front, behind them and in the upper portion are Business Class Seats. From my perspective, I would grab a 1st class seat with miles, particularly if you can get the lower mileage category--as I recall it was 60,000 miles..

We were in Business First in a 767 on one of Continental's former routes, between the U.S. and Brazil. Service was fine. Food mixed, but generally good. Seats (2-1-2) comfortable, though not fully lie-flat. The United Club we used, in Houston, was nice; even had showers. To date we've avoid the ORD-GRU and IAD-GRU routes, long United's, since Biz Class is only the middle class.

Having the miles and being able to use them are two different things. Before you worry about the service, etc., see if you have to adjust your dates, routes, etc. in order to use the miles. If you end up with choices, check Seatguru, Seatmaestro, ec. to see how the seating of various aircraft varies.

This was a 747, the first class seats are at the very front, behind them and in the upper portion are Business Class Seats. From my perspective, I would grab a 1st class seat with miles, particularly if you can get the lower mileage category--as I recall it was 60,000 miles..

For UA, a one way saver award ticket to Europe from the US in First is 67,500 miles.

We were in Business First in a 767 on one of Continental's former routes, between the U.S. and Brazil. Service was fine. Food mixed, but generally good. Seats (2-1-2) comfortable, though not fully lie-flat.

I don't understand this. All the seats on UA in business on a 767-300 are truly lie flat. I am guessing you were on an old CO plane, a 767-200.

Archived