Walking Tours in London, and the Big Bus

pcur

Anybody tried these walking tours? They look fascinating, and we think we want to try a few. They are 5.50 BGP each, which seems reasonable for London!!

We are staying at the Central Park near Kensington Gardens, just off Bayswater, so a few of the tours' starting point are within walking distance.

Just thought I'd ask if anyone's tried these before.

Since the Big Bus hop on/off picks up within a few blocks of the hotel, we thought we'd try that. Does it run in October?

Thanks for any help!

I rode the Big Bus this past December on the open air top deck and froze my ......... off. So I'm sure they will be running in October. They have an excellent website. For the price, you can get on and off all day long, it's a great way to get an overview of the whole city. It was my first visit. Then you can go back to areas of particular interest. As part of your fare, you are able to ride a boat on the Thames to or from the Tower of London. Not particularly appealing during Winter, but should be nice in October.

• 2 weeks later...

just returned from London yesterday. Big Bus Co. now charging 20#/pp for 24-hour ticket. Last September price was 17#. Salesman told me it was 18# a couple weeks ago but just went up for the tourist season. Price of gasoline is ~4.40#/liter (imperial?) so I can understand why bus co. had to raise prices but calculating $120 for 3 ppl to go on the bus made me realize we could get a personalized tour from a cabbie for that price!

exchange rate hurts right now!

The petrol is 84p per litre at the moment ($1.55) or $5.88 per US gallon. Now you see why our prices are high. I get the feeling that your gas prices are catching up ours quickly.

I just checked the Big Bus web site, and they are still charging 18# pp if you buy your tickets online, which we will. Hey, that's almost $5 pp savings!! I could buy a cup of tea for that, right? hahahahahahaha

Last April, did 3 Original London Walks: London during the Blitz, Charles Dickens, and Jack the Ripper. All were very good, all different, and included some lesser known parts of the city. The evening "Ripper" walk was the best - very atmospheric!

just wanted you to know that I didn't make up the quote of 4.40#/ltr gas - it was from a black taxi... what do they know! LOL

(I saw signs on the road between London & Huntingdon that were ~ 91 but didn't know for what measurement.)

just wanted you to know that I didn't make up the quote of 4.40#/ltr gas - it was from a black taxi... what do they know! LOL

(I saw signs on the road between London & Huntingdon that were ~ 91 but didn't know for what measurement.)

My last fill of petrol was at 91p (US$1.67) per litre, which is £4.14 (US$7.62) per gallon, or £3.44 (US$6.33) per US gallon.

Actually, there's no particular reason why taxis would know the price of petrol (gasoline). They run on diesel, which is usually significantly cheaper.

• 3 weeks later...

I find the discussion on gas prices rhetorical.

Europeans make a more fuel efficient car. Period. The last car we rented n Europe was a VW Passat, 5 speed, diesel. It cost us $50 in gas for the week and we travelled from NIce to Cannes to Provences and the Alps. So even if gas is more expensive, you use less.

We in North America continue to purchase gas guzzlers because we think the supply in endless.

People are finally smartening up and not buying the SUVs judging by May car sales. Gas consumption is down too...ABout time! When we refuse to buy these monsters, the manufacturers will listen. Too bad oil had to go to almost $60 first!

• 2 weeks later...

I belong to an amateur dramatic group on southern England. We are taking a guided London walk next Sunday afternoon. I will let you know how it goes. We will be concentrating on Shakespeare's area.

Cinnamon

• 2 weeks later...

My amateur dramatic group organised a private London walk this past weekend.

It was Shakespeare's London. We hired a guide just for us for £95.00. There were 17 of us and it was a wonderful afternoon. Our guide, Peter G, was an actor. His knowledge and presentation made this a most enjoyable trip.

There is a huge list of walks available to the public. You just turn up at the specified time, pay your £5.00 and join in.

The company is called 'The Original London Walks'.

Their website is http://www.walks.com

I shall be taking the leaflet with me on a cruise around Britain for my fellow CCers to look at. Any specific questions, you have, I will be back home and accessing this board again after 11th July.

Cinnamon

The London Walks are a wonderful way to see and learn about the area. We did several when we were in London in February a couple of years ago.

Also, be sure to visit the Globe Theatre. That was a great tour/place to visit. The guide made you understand how things would have been at the time. Really wonderful.

Renee

Archived