Are deposits for onboard bookings returnable?

Loucat

Yes, they are just like regular deposits. As long as you haven't made final payment, you will get it all back if you cancel. We had to cancel one we booked onboard and our cc was refunded.

Thank you. I was told I would have to forfet (sp?) the deposits by an RCC agent as they were onboard bookings.:(

Both are LONG away from final payment and we are in the US.

I knew CCer's would know.

Yes, you can definately call Royal, cancel and they will credit the original credit card you paid for your Next Cruise Cert. with. OR . . . you can simply change from one cruise directly to another (doesn't matter which ship, date, etc.) and the certificate will be transferred and you'll still get the on-board credit.

Yes, you can definately call Royal, cancel and they will credit the original credit card you paid for your Next Cruise Cert. with. OR . . . you can simply change from one cruise directly to another (doesn't matter which ship, date, etc.) and the certificate will be transferred and you'll still get the on-board credit.

OP didn't say they were Next Cruise certs. He/she said they booked two cruises which means if they cancel or change cruises, they will lose the obc they get for booking onboard. And, I'm not entirely sure, but I thought you can't transfer the reduced deposits for booked cruises.

OP didn't say they were Next Cruise certs. He/she said they booked two cruises which means if they cancel or change cruises, they will lose the obc they get for booking onboard. And, I'm not entirely sure, but I thought you can't transfer the reduced deposits for booked cruises.

We booked an Oasis cruise while onboard Allure and then transferred the booking to an Explorer cruise - we retained the reduced deposit and OBC

My bad. Although, I would think that booking a cruise onboard would be handled in the same manner, as it was explained to me that by purchasing a next cruise certificiate you were essentially purchasing a cruise, just without a ship/cruise date. Your certificate then comes with a booking/reservation number on it, which is your reservation number no matter when you actually book, or even if you transfer it to a different cruise any number of times until it's used.

That has changed. NC deposits are now refundable.

What date did this happen? Mine aren't. Mine don't expire but the last ones I bought were said to have non-refundable deposits.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What date did this happen? Mine aren't. Mine don't expire but the last ones I bought were said to have non-refundable deposits.

I really think it's still a debatable issue and it is going on a case by case basis whatever that means.

They aren't refundable until you turn them into a booking....Once you do that they are refundable ;)

They aren't refundable until you turn them into a booking....Once you do that they are refundable ;)

So really, when did this happen? In the past I've had to transfer a booking rather than cancel or the deposit would be lost on a "next cruise".

I really think it's still a debatable issue and it is going on a case by case basis whatever that means.

LOL...so it's back to the same ol' "it depends on which customer service rep answers the phone". What's new? Or maybe they are back to seeing how often they can change the rules in order to confuse us all.

They are definately refundable. I had purchased NC Certs., then six months later booked a cruise with them. Due to illness, had to transfer to them to a much later cruise and finally, had to cancel due to my husband's passing. Called RC and the original purchase price was credited back to my credit card, no problem. Only thing I couldn't do was to put them back into suspension which would mean onboard credit when I eventually could use them (well, at least one of them).

Oops, minor detail I forgot to mention. :o But thanks for adding to the conversation. I knew we had this conversation a couple months back. ;)

LOL...so it's back to the same ol' "it depends on which customer service rep answers the phone". What's new? Or maybe they are back to seeing how often they can change the rules in order to confuse us all.

Yep, that's about it.:)

This is what's in the terms & conditions of a next cruise certificate I bought on the April 14, 2012 sailing:

9. Your NextCruise account balance is not redeemable for cash.

10. If your NextCruise account balance is applied to an actual ship and sailing date, and then the booking cancels, the guest may request a refund, less the value of the initial NextCruise deposit.

So yet again - if you get the initial deposit $$ back off a next cruise certificate... You got lucky lol

Next cruise certificate deposits booked on board are not refundable. Only specific cruises booked while on board are fully refundable.

These cruises were booked onboard Radiance. The agent keeps stating we had certificates. What we do have is the "Booking recap" that you receive when booking onboard.

I tend to agree and will try another agent. These are not until December 2012 and February 2013.

On another note, they have changed their policy for transferring bookings to an agent. It must be done 60 days of booking with them. When I asked the agent how people were supposed to know of changes, she said you have to watch the details in the Customer Support (or lack of) area. Like I have time to read that on a regular basis. :rolleyes:This change could be old, but I did now know about it.

So yet again - if you get the initial deposit $$ back off a next cruise certificate... You got lucky lol

We bought 2 NCC's. Used one last year and we wont be able to use the other. Since we had already transferred the certificate into a real cruise the customer service agent said we would get our deposit back and the other money we had paid. I was kind of worried because the agent seemed very unsure. I asked him to email me something in writing and he did and we got all the money back on our CC.

I cancelled in April 2012. When i bought the certificates I was told the certificates were non refundable so something must have changed.

We bought 2 NCC's. Used one last year and we wont be able to use the other. Since we had already transferred the certificate into a real cruise the customer service agent said we would get our deposit back and the other money we had paid. I was kind of worried because the agent seemed very unsure. I asked him to email me something in writing and he did and we got all the money back on our CC.

I cancelled in April 2012. When i bought the certificates I was told the certificates were non refundable so something must have changed.

I think that the certificates were always meant to be non-refundable, but there's something in the computer system that doesn't track the deposit after you've booked a cruise. Imagine that!:rolleyes:

We've cancelled a couple of cruises that we booked with NCCs and always got our full deposit amount back. Haven't done it in a couple of years, though.

Archived