Attaching an umbrella from home to the chairs

kayhold

I am on a medication, and can't be in the sun for long. I am going to bring a large windproof umbrella (think golf size) but I am wondering how I would attach it to my chair. I would just sit in the shade, and while my family WOULD join me, I'd rather not put them out.

Those of you who brought your own, how did you get it attached to the chair? I imagine a bungee would work, but looking for other suggestions.

I am on a medication, and can't be in the sun for long. I am going to bring a large windproof umbrella (think golf size) but I am wondering how I would attach it to my chair. I would just sit in the shade, and while my family WOULD join me, I'd rather not put them out.

Those of you who brought your own, how did you get it attached to the chair? I imagine a bungee would work, but looking for other suggestions.

You know, this doesn't sound like a good idea to me... :( The ships are just too windy.

What ship are you going on? There will probably be plenty of shady areas where you can hang out...

To answer your question, I've never brought on on board, nor have I ever seen one.

I agree with others that it may not be the best idea. but to answer your question, maybe the C clamps that the open part has a big screw type thing that you twist until it closes around the object....

No offense, but what about the people next to you or behind you? Chances are you would be blocking their sun too, not to mention their view.

I'm not rude - we would make sure we weren't in a busy area or at the end of a row.

You can order clamp on sun Blocker umbrellas through Amazon for about $20. The clamp is made to fit around the chair piping frame not just a C clamp.

However, I would agree with the caution expressed by others here. Most ships have plenty of shady spots still out on deck to escapre to.

I tend to agree that it is probably a bad idea, unless you use it on a port day.

Regardless (or as many say these days "irregardless"), you might want to look into a "RAM" mount. RAM is the name of the company that makes them, and they come in many different varieties with different mounting options and accessories. Think of them as being modular in design. However, you will need to have an idea as to the chair / lounge you will be using it on. I would call them and tell them what you need, and see if they have the parts available to do the job.

http://www.ram-mount.com/

You're going to need clamps at both ends with the adjustable arm in between

Here's a photo of one with a clamp at one end, and a screw mount base at the other. Now, if you can configure one with clamps at both ends (I think you should be able to) you might be good to go.

ram-b-121-gp1-large.jpg

I tend to not sit out in direct sunlight as well. I find a chair under an overhang usually somewhere on the Lido deck. I like sitting at the tables and relaxing. If you want music you go by the main pool. If you want quiet, go to the aft pool (adults) or up to the Serenity deck. All very nice.

Someone tried this on one of our Dream cruises and they made them remove it...so, not sure I would invest too much money to buy a clamp when they may not even let you use it. It is usually easier to find a spot in the shade than in the sun anyway...

I would suggest a wide brimmed sun hat, a long sleeved (but light material) cover up or something, and a high spf protection sunscreen which you *diligently* re-apply. :)

I asked this question (Are you allowed to bring umbrellas that clamp on to beach/lounge chairs as part of your carry-on luggage? Thanks in advance,emotion-2.gif ) on the Carnival website forums and this is what one of the representatives replied with:

"If you can pack in your luggage you can use in the ports but not on the public decks. It has to be folded up when taking into port as it has to go thru the scanner they do not encourage anything that maybe cumbersome.

any type of rafts or pool items can be used in port but not on the decks onboard."

Hope this helps!

Although you may have some windy conditions to contend with, something like this might be a better alternative to an umbrella:

Swim Ways Original Canopy Chair

This one is at Gander Mountain, but I've seen similar canopy chairs at other places, such as Sears, Sam's Club, Meijer, Walmart, and other stores that sell folding outdoor chairs. You'd have to have someone hold onto it for you if you get up, otherwise it could blow away.:eek:

I tried to copy the link so you could click on it, but it didn't work. If you type "outdoor canopy chair" in your Google search bar, you'll find this, among other similar products.

Very windy....very very windy! My hubby doesn't like being in the sun but we solved it by finding chairs near an overhang and he sat in the shade and I sat right beside him in the sun.

This is exactly what my husband and I do. There are good spots to do this, especially in the Serenity areas, we have found.

I'm glad that you got an answer from the Carnival rep. They must be pretty strict about not allowing them to be used on the ship, because in all my years of cruising I've never seen one in use on the ship.

I asked this question (Are you allowed to bring umbrellas that clamp on to beach/lounge chairs as part of your carry-on luggage? Thanks in advance,emotion-2.gif ) on the Carnival website forums and this is what one of the representatives replied with:

"If you can pack in your luggage you can use in the ports but not on the public decks. It has to be folded up when taking into port as it has to go thru the scanner they do not encourage anything that maybe cumbersome.

any type of rafts or pool items can be used in port but not on the decks onboard."

Hope this helps!

Although you may have some windy conditions to contend with, something like this might be a better alternative to an umbrella:

Swim Ways Original Canopy Chair

This one is at Gander Mountain, but I've seen similar canopy chairs at other places, such as Sears, Sam's Club, Meijer, Walmart, and other stores that sell folding outdoor chairs. You'd have to have someone hold onto it for you if you get up, otherwise it could blow away.:eek:

I tried to copy the link so you could click on it, but it didn't work. If you type "outdoor canopy chair" in your Google search bar, you'll find this, among other similar products.

Don't think your chair idea will pass muster per above remarks from Carnival!

Archived