Self Serve Laundromats

I was wondering how the washing machines and dryers are on the Princess cruise ships. You know how they say that machines at laundromats are hard on your clothes? I was thinking about doing a couple loads while on the Sapphire in August.

Looking for anyone that has used them to comment, please?

In 16 Princess cruises we have never had an issue with the self-service laundries. We bring our own detergent, etc.

If you find no machines available at first location you try, check another. We've always been able to do our laundry when it's convenient for us.

Lew

I try to pack really light. My husband and I had a carry on each and one 25 inch bag (shared) for a 14 day cruise and a total of 3 hotel days. Using the laundry on board is extremely helpful. Firstly, I bring my own detergent, Pyrex sheets are perfect. They have soap, softener and anti static in one sheet.They are lightweight and nothing to spill. Keep in mind that the washing machines are not as large capacity as your machine at home. They do not use very much water, so do not over load. I cut the purex sheets in half. If you forget then there might be a film left on your clothes. It comes off if you Rinse them again. I take quarters too. The front desk has them but can be a really long walk from the laundry room. I do not stay in the laundry room the whole time but I do get back a minimum of 10 minutes before I need to change over or get my clothes out of the dryer. They have digital read outs to let you know exactly how much time is left. I do my clothes on lower temperature for wash nd pull out more delicate things out half way through and hang up in my cabin to dry. I do try to antipate when the highest use days/hours and try to avoid those.

We did our laundry while the ship was in port with zero problems. There were 2 washers and 2 dryers in the room we used so we did all our wash at the same time. One of the dryers was inferior to the other though and we had to run one load through the dry cycle twice. Biggest complaint was that the change machine was broken so we had to go to the passenger services desk for change- a minor inconvenience, really.

We have used them on both of our previous Princess cruises due to their length. The only problems we had was finding machines that were not in use, and this only happened a couple of times.

Just a note; Please keep track of time if you are using them. There are people waiting at times and leaving clothes in the machine long after they are finished is not a considerate thing to do. Someone with less patience may help you remove them.

We always do laundry on a cruise (expecially longer sailings) No problem. But I do agree keep an eye on your time so folks behind you can access the machines!

Happy sailing,

Bev

I try to pack really light. My husband and I had a carry on each and one 25 inch bag (shared) for a 14 day cruise and a total of 3 hotel days. Using the laundry on board is extremely helpful. Firstly, I bring my own detergent, Pyrex sheets are perfect. They have soap, softener and anti static in one sheet.They are lightweight and nothing to spill. Keep in mind that the washing machines are not as large capacity as your machine at home. They do not use very much water, so do not over load. I cut the purex sheets in half. If you forget then there might be a film left on your clothes. It comes off if you Rinse them again. I take quarters too. The front desk has them but can be a really long walk from the laundry room. I do not stay in the laundry room the whole time but I do get back a minimum of 10 minutes before I need to change over or get my clothes out of the dryer. They have digital read outs to let you know exactly how much time is left. I do my clothes on lower temperature for wash nd pull out more delicate things out half way through and hang up in my cabin to dry. I do try to antipate when the highest use days/hours and try to avoid those.

Thanks for all the helpful information. I will be on the look out for those Purex sheets, and thanks for the heads up on cutting them in half. I just want to be able to do a couple loads so that we can take less pairs of jeans and casual pants. I will definitely keep an eye on the time so I am there to take things out when they are done.

We have used the laundry facilities on every Princess cruise we have been on with no problems. There are 4 washers and 4 dryers in each laundry as well as 4 ironing boards. The laundry rooms are conveniently located on most cabin decks. There is a change machine in each laundry, but you are better off getting quarters from the passenger services desk.

I too,use the Purex sheets carrying them aboard in a plastic zip bag that is easy to pack. They do a good job on lightly soiled clothing. The washers and dryers cost $2.00 each. The dryer time runs about 40 minutes for the $2.00 and dries

most clothing in that time.

It depends on which ship, etc. On our recent cruise we did laundry twice on our floor (11th). There were only 2 washers and dryers in that room. Our change machine worked (people from the 12th floor had to come down to our room to get change). The 2nd load I did, I ended up with oil spots on all of my clothes. So am trying to get it out now. So as with any laundry place you take a chance. I still would do it again, it's so much easier packing for 1 week rather than 2. I took my ipad and stayed in the room, so I can remove as soon it was done. Our washers/dryers did not have a timer, so we had no idea how long it was to finishing. There was a sign on the wall, saying that they take approximately 25 minutes. I did end up pulling all my clothes out before it was completed, as it was quite hot (even on the medium setting).

I did bring a large plastic bag to work as a laundry bag. One guy who came down from the 12th floor, tried to walk out with my bag, until he saw me, and said "oh is this yours?"... so he returned it. Another person I ran into, forgot about bags, and her and her husband carried the laundry down in their arms.

It depends on which ship, etc. On our recent cruise we did laundry twice on our floor (11th). There were only 2 washers and dryers in that room. Our change machine worked (people from the 12th floor had to come down to our room to get change). The 2nd load I did, I ended up with oil spots on all of my clothes. So am trying to get it out now. So as with any laundry place you take a chance. I still would do it again, it's so much easier packing for 1 week rather than 2. I took my ipad and stayed in the room, so I can remove as soon it was done. Our washers/dryers did not have a timer, so we had no idea how long it was to finishing. There was a sign on the wall, saying that they take approximately 25 minutes. I did end up pulling all my clothes out before it was completed, as it was quite hot (even on the medium setting).

I did bring a large plastic bag to work as a laundry bag. One guy who came down from the 12th floor, tried to walk out with my bag, until he saw me, and said "oh is this yours?"... so he returned it. Another person I ran into, forgot about bags, and her and her husband carried the laundry down in their arms.

To get oil/grease spots out you might like to try putting a little liquid dish washing detergent on the spot and then rub with your fingers unti it moves then wash in the machine. Sometimes this doesn't work on old spots. Good luck.

We have used the laundry facilities on every Princess cruise we have been on with no problems. There are 4 washers and 4 dryers in each laundry as well as 4 ironing boards. The laundry rooms are conveniently located on most cabin decks. There is a change machine in each laundry, but you are better off getting quarters from the passenger services desk.

I too,use the Purex sheets carrying them aboard in a plastic zip bag that is easy to pack. They do a good job on lightly soiled clothing. The washers and dryers cost $2.00 each. The dryer time runs about 40 minutes for the $2.00 and dries

most clothing in that time.

I wonder if a load of jeans would dry in 40 minutes.....I don't like the idea of the dryer getting really hot like another poster mentioned. I guess I'll just have to try it!

I wonder if a load of jeans would dry in 40 minutes.....I don't like the idea of the dryer getting really hot like another poster mentioned. I guess I'll just have to try it!

A load of Jeans might take longer. I usually have loads of cottons and permanent press.

I have been lucky not to have any problems, but any machine could have a problem now and then. I check the dryer after 5 minutes and adjust the temperature selection if it is running too hot for my clothes. I always check the inside of the dryer and washer before I load them to make sure they are clean.I also clean the lint filter.

Enjoy your cruise.

Before I got free laundry for being Elite, I always did a load every few days on a cruise. I never brought quarters but would pick up some when I was near the Passenger Services Desk. I'd start my laundry at about 4pm and never had a problem finding a washer. If I was washing jeans, I'd try to use a dryer that was still warm; that seemed to make a difference in whether they dried in one cycle. Never had a problem with the washers and dryers.

Would the self service laundry be open every day on a Vancouver to Whittier Alaskan cruise? I might be imagining things but thought I read that they were closed while in Glacier Bay.

Also - do they close them at night or are they open all the time?

Thanks!

Would the self service laundry be open every day on a Vancouver to Whittier Alaskan cruise? I might be imagining things but thought I read that they were closed while in Glacier Bay.

Thanks!

They close around 8pm, perhaps a bit later and open at 8am or so.

Thanks for all the helpful information. I will be on the look out for those Purex sheets, and thanks for the heads up on cutting them in half. I just want to be able to do a couple loads so that we can take less pairs of jeans and casual pants. I will definitely keep an eye on the time so I am there to take things out when they are done.

We booked our cabin near the laundry room on both the Ruby and the Grand, so it was very convenient to do laundry. I bought a bunch of quarters with us because I knew I would be doing laundry at least once on our 14 day sailing. Each machine takes $2 in quarters. We also brought the purex 3 in 1 sheets and they work great and take up no room in the suitcase!

There is also a detergent dispenser and a change machine. Two ironing board and irons as well.

Thanks!

On the Grand a few weeks ago, the laundry rooms were closed at 10pm. I believe they were unlocked again at 8am.

Hi, I have been on two Princess Cruises in the last 2 years, if you go to the laundry DONT LEAVE YOUR CLOTHES ALONE :eek: !

Both my cruises, clothes were left on floors if no one was there, there were fights on one of them, and two familys were removed from the ship as the husbands got into a big fist fight over clothes, so, take a book and sit with your clothes until they are complete finished.

We did shifts on the clothes, one would sit there while they washed and other one sat there while they dried.

When we washed and dried ours, we did it late at night, around 9 - 10 pm, the machines were all right and we seen no damage to anything.

I would advise everyone to look at the bottom plate of any iron you are planning to use, and test it on the ironing board pad before using it on your clothing. On our cruise last month one of my husband's dress shirts was ruined because the bottom of the iron had something blue on it. It smelled like burning plastic as soon as it touched the shirt, and made a large stain that the Princess laundry could not remove. Princess will be reimbursing us for the shirt, which I thought was very nice.

Archived