Tampa car rental....how's this deal??

We don't rent cars very often, so I'm not sure if this is a good deal or not. I'm thinking it's pretty high, but.....please tell me what you think and if I can do better.

Hertz

Full size 2-4 door Automatic

No extras

2 weekend days at $66.00. Extra hours at $22.00.

Unlimited Free Miles included

Total approximate charge is $226.82.

We'll need the car from 9am on Sunday morning until noon on Tuesday. We will pick up at the port and return to the airport. I do not see an extra charge for dropping off at a different location.

I had no discount code or coupons.

Can I do better than this???

Thanks for your help!

I hope so -- tourist season is about over in FLA and prices should be lower. You are paying a premium to pick up the car near the port. You might compare pricing for cars out at the TPA airport -- National and others will shuttle you from the port to TPA or you can cab it for only $25. I'd rather spend $25 on a cab to save $$ on the rental at the airport.

Use your favorite travel web site to compare prices, or try www.carrentals.com Good luck! :)

I agree with John. You should be able to find something lower than this amount. Is your hotel near the things you want to get to? If so, then you could easily walk or just grab a taxi. A taxi several times over would be less than this car rental amount.

I would keep researching.....I feel sure you will find a better deal out there.:)

$66/day for a full-size car is okay but you're paying a premium for a bigger car. The taxes/fees really add up. Use HotWire or PriceLine and choose smallest car you can get by with (its only a couple days).

I just used Priceline for a mid size suv on a Saturday and got it for $36 for the day. I'd try them. I put in half of what the prices I was getting online for the day and they took it. Worth a try!

You need to keep shopping. We rented a Camry for two days (Dec 30 and 31) and paid just over $100 with taxes etc.

I had a discount code through my work perks, but there are lots of codes out there. FWIW it was through Enterprise at Tampa airport.

We don't rent cars very often, so I'm not sure if this is a good deal or not. I'm thinking it's pretty high, but.....please tell me what you think and if I can do better.

Hertz

Full size 2-4 door Automatic

No extras

2 weekend days at $66.00. Extra hours at $22.00.

Unlimited Free Miles included

Total approximate charge is $226.82.

We'll need the car from 9am on Sunday morning until noon on Tuesday. We will pick up at the port and return to the airport. I do not see an extra charge for dropping off at a different location.

I had no discount code or coupons.

Can I do better than this???

Thanks for your help!

Go to mousesavers.com and look for the car rental section. There will be discount codes that you can use.

Hertz is almost always the highest price you will see. Look at Budget, Alamo, Enterprise.

I would expect to rent a slightly smaller car for over a week when I see your total price from Hertz.

If you decide to try Priceline, which is a great place to rent a car (the 'name your own price' part), start very low...for a weekend car I would start in the $10-12/day range. If you aren't successful, PL will let you bid again in 24 hours or so. Keep increasing your bid until you are successful.

Know this about Priceline...if you are successful they will charge your CC immediately...and that's it. No refunds. No changes. Only one driver unless you pay extra to allow an extra driver. IOW, read all the Priceline rules before you opt for their method of renting a car.

Archived