I always overcook lobster tails at home...

Markmom18

So, being that I'm an "ugh" cook at home, but love tender cooked lobster tails...mmmm....

We're on the Splendor in August, where's my best bet to get my ideal "big" lobster tail that is cooked to perfection? I have a Steakhouse reservation on the first day in Cabo. Thanks guys!

Have an awesome steak in the Steakhouse and eat great seafood in port

Also eat the free ones in the MDR

In Cabo check out Maro's shrimp house

I can't tell you how to get it, but I have to say that I had the most tender lobster tail I have ever had in my entire life (and I'm in NH where we pull 'em and cook 'em) on Fascination last week. It was so sweet and melted in my mouth. So much better than I've ever known tails to be!

Hope you can get the same on your trip!

:D

So, being that I'm an "ugh" cook at home, but love tender cooked lobster tails...mmmm....

We're on the Splendor in August, where's my best bet to get my ideal "big" lobster tail that is cooked to perfection? I have a Steakhouse reservation on the first day in Cabo. Thanks guys!

Not possible on Carnival. :(

Lobster in the MDR during the first formal night. Opps..I mean "Elegant Night".

Never tried the ice bath thing....:confused:

Best part of living in New England...all the great seafood at your finger tips :cool:

mmm...I could go for some steamers right now:p

For when you cook lobster at home have you tried putting it in an ice bath after initial cooking? Right when the lobster is done pull it out and put it in ice and water to stop the cooking process and than serve.

No, I haven't tried that, but it's worth a try. I usually microwave them...I know...probably not the best method:(. Plus, it seems the lobster I get here in my supermarket are tiny. They aren't the big meaty one's I've had in restaurants. One of the best one's I've had was on a Cozumel vacation. About 10 years ago, there were 2 restaurants that specialized in lobster tails. You ordered them by the pound and then they offered several ways to prepare it...delicious!!!!

Also eat the free ones in the MDR

In Cabo check out Maro's shrimp house

Thanks Doc, I'll put Maro's restaurant in my notes. :)

No, I haven't tried that, but it's worth a try. I usually microwave them...I know...probably not the best method:(. Plus, it seems the lobster I get here in my supermarket are tiny. They aren't the big meaty one's I've had in restaurants. One of the best one's I've had was on a Cozumel vacation. About 10 years ago, there were 2 restaurants that specialized in lobster tails. You ordered them by the pound and then they offered several ways to prepare it...delicious!!!!

:eek:

Microwaved lobster?!

Someone needs to go to confession because some major sinning has occurred!

:faints

Right here in Maine! :D Sorry, I just HAD to say it!

Darn! You beat me to it though I may add...have my DH cook it for you! YUMMY! :D

Microwaved lobster?!

I was thinking the SAME thing!!!! Poor thing doesn't know what good lobster tastes like :o

No, I haven't tried that, but it's worth a try. I usually microwave them...I know...probably not the best method:(. Plus, it seems the lobster I get here in my supermarket are tiny.

Please, please assure me that it's frozen lobster tails you're buying at the supermarket and not live lobsters. It's horrific enough when it's just a tail, but I have this horrible image of a live lobster scrambling around the microwave. :eek:

Please, please assure me that it's frozen lobster tails you're buying at the supermarket and not live lobsters. It's horrific enough when it's just a tail, but I have this horrible image of a live lobster scrambling around the microwave. :eek:

Cindy,

I would never be able to cook a live lobster, so no, they are frozen defrosted tails. I have boiled them too, but my results are just as lousy. I"m not the best cook...my husband & son BEG me not to cook pork chops. They say I suck the moisture out of the air with 'em! But, I can make good homemade taquitos/enchildas and taco :D

I actually bought frozen/fresh tails from our local market. Actually setamed them before thawing and watching the internal temp on a thermometer. When they hit 145 I pulled them off the heat. Not too bad, especially for Arizona.

I agree!

Microwaved lobster?!

+1

Cindy,

I would never be able to cook a live lobster, so no, they are frozen defrosted tails. I have boiled them too, but my results are just as lousy. I"m not the best cook...my husband & son BEG me not to cook pork chops. They say I suck the moisture out of the air with 'em! But, I can make good homemade taquitos/enchildas and taco :D

Frozen. That's the problem. It's my understanding they are frozen lobster on the ship also. The best lobster is cooked fresh and not overcooked (I like the ice bath idea). Plus, most supermarkets carry the smaller lobster because of the price. If you want a bigger lobster your best bet is to go to a fish market. In Maine;).

I actually bought frozen/fresh tails from our local market. Actually setamed them before thawing and watching the internal temp on a thermometer. When they hit 145 I pulled them off the heat. Not too bad, especially for Arizona.

If you buy frozen lobster tails which is absolutely fine.

Actually thaw them in cold running water until the defrost.

Steaming them while frozen could make them Tuff and chewy....

I split the top shell and pull the meat on top of the shell.....

Butter them then broil, grill, or put in oven for 12 minutes at a high temp. You want to just cook till they are white and not translusent. Best way is to pull the tail back and look under to make sure cooked. Baste with butter and serve.

By the way I am a Executive chef so hopefully these hints will help you guys....

I actually like to grill my lobster tails, while grilling I baste with a key lime, parsley and butter compote.

I agree!

+1

Frozen. That's the problem. It's my understanding they are frozen lobster on the ship also. The best lobster is cooked fresh and not overcooked (I like the ice bath idea). Plus, most supermarkets carry the smaller lobster because of the price. If you want a bigger lobster your best bet is to go to a fish market. In Maine;).

Frozen lobster is not the problem its just the way they are cooked is the problem.

Most of you restaurants in the whole US use Frozen Lobster unless you are in the New England area.

There is nothing at all wrong with Frozen Lobster just has to be handled correctly.

I agree.

You're not going to get 'cooked to perfection' lobster on a ship, even in the steak house.

BINGO! OP: have your fill of lobster at home before you leave for your cruise.

Archived