Ship Shape

HamOp

Why does there appear to be a "body-less arm" to the left of the two men waving at us? :eek:

Love the excursion comment... is that what they pay or we pay? :D ...oh, that's how you get an upgrade. I keep telling my SIL that in order to move up out of the Dolphin deck you have to shovel coal for a day....

Here is a close up of the guys in the bucket. I think this will explain it all.

paintclose.jpg

The crew for engineering and deck are hired totaly seperiate from hotel staff and are under much higher contracts as Able Seamen or Engineer.

Your tips dont go to a quartermaster, bosun , coxswain, deck hand, engineman , carpenter or electrician, on the ship Nor Medical staff doctors and nurses.

Any Navy folks out there will smile at the hydraulic stages on the pier..wusss..... the Navy puts sailors over the side in slings, underway in the ocean and has them paint in the rolling sea...

Yes, those are HAL workers. They were outside near our cabin and had the HAL maintenance jumpsuits on. They pretty much spent the WHOLE time in port scraping off all the sea salt and mist off the all cabin windows and glass, then repainting the ship. Though, they didn't get to finish the paint job by the time we left Bermuda.

What had me wondering was whether this was a scheduled paint job or the fact that we had went through two squalls on that cruise. Might have been a preventative measure with all that dried sea salt caked onto the *entire* ship, corrosive and all.

Not saying anyone would, but if you ever think of removing the Hotel Charge, just remember these guys.

shipshape.jpg

Definitely a great picture, but the deck crew and maintenance teams are not actually part of the HSC. That would be your room stewards, dining staff and some of the folks you don't see like laundry staff.

Yes, those are HAL workers. They were outside near our cabin and had the HAL maintenance jumpsuits on. They pretty much spent the WHOLE time in port scraping off all the sea salt and mist off the all cabin windows and glass, then repainting the ship. Though, they didn't get to finish the paint job by the time we left Bermuda.

What had me wondering was whether this was a scheduled paint job or the fact that we had went through two squalls on that cruise. Might have been a preventative measure with all that dried sea salt caked onto the *entire* ship, corrosive and all.

I think that's normal maint. Every cruise I've been on they are always painting, scraping etc.

Definitely a great picture, but the deck crew and maintenance teams are not actually part of the HSC. That would be your room stewards, dining staff and some of the folks you don't see like laundry staff.

Thanks for confirming what I suspected. :)

I think that's normal maint. Every cruise I've been on they are always painting, scraping etc.

As this was our first cruise, I wasn't sure. But, they were painting the ENTIRE ship! Not just some spots, but the whole ship once we got into port. When we left Friday, they hadn't finished the bow sections.

That's why I was wondering if it was some sort of scheduled maintenance or due to the storms. I mean, if they paint the whole ship each time they're in port, that's a lot of manpower and material being used each time.

I mean, if they paint the whole ship each time they're in port, that's a lot of manpower and material being used each time.

Not only that but a few more coats of paint and she won't fit through the Panama Canal.:D

Before I can answer, I have to ask..... WHAT 2 men waving at us??? I do not see them:confused::confused:

Joanie

LOL Sorry Joanie! I should have said something like "the body-less arm waving at us to the left of the two men." :p

Here is a close up of the guys in the bucket. I think this will explain it all.

paintclose.jpg

And it does... I didn't realize the guy in the background was facing the picture-taker... now I see!

A thankless job being done there! GREAT pic!

As for the HSC, I never quite understand why some misers would begrudge that fee and often cancel it, but gladly pain the sociopathic greed/gouging of the liquor prices? :confused: I guess because they're feeling a direct effect of one, the alcohol, but not experiencing the instant/direct effect of the other?

Again, thankless job. With the way that corners are being cut by corporate so that the folks in home office can make insultingly high bonuses I am surprised that maintenance isn't done by tossing guys over with a frayed, rotting hank of wash rope that was first used when Leif Ericson was 3 weeks old.

Derek

As this was our first cruise, I wasn't sure. But, they were painting the ENTIRE ship! Not just some spots, but the whole ship once we got into port. When we left Friday, they hadn't finished the bow sections.

That's why I was wondering if it was some sort of scheduled maintenance or due to the storms. I mean, if they paint the whole ship each time they're in port, that's a lot of manpower and material being used each time.

I'm sure it was scheduled maintenance. I've been through far worse seas then that and they didn't paint the ship after.

Anyone who has ever worked on a ship on in the Navy knows that painting is a non-stop process, Chipping and painting is constant. Like the Golden Gate Bridge... start at the stern and progress foward. When your done in a few months, start all over again. There is a saying on a ship, if it dosen't move paint it.:D

A ship sits in a corrosive bath of salt water, and is made of metals that rust. Painting too goes on inside the ship too.

Those guys painting are paid pretty good and have full Osha safety gear that is top quality... they are professional painters/ maint. :o

Thank you KK. I took it last week in Bermuda.

Yes, where else would you find a pink terminal building!!!!

Whiloe VEENDAM is in Bermuda they sometimes hire a 'cherry picker' for daays at a time... to help the paint crews reach all those hard to heach places.

Nice photo. What others did you take of the ship in Hamilton?

Stephen

Yes, where else would you find a pink terminal building!!!!

Whiloe VEENDAM is in Bermuda they sometimes hire a 'cherry picker' for daays at a time... to help the paint crews reach all those hard to heach places.

Stephen

Do you have paintings on the Veendam, Stephen? I love yours on the Noordam....

Stephen

Yes I have several of the Veendam in Hamilton. If you want to see any of them, drop me an email and I'll send you some. Don't think I should post them to this thread.

Tom

Archived