Ship Shape

HamOp

I don't think they share in the HSC. ;)

:D Picky, picky, picky.....

I think (s)he made a GREAT point.

(Sorry HamOp, your name does not indicate gender. :) )

:D Picky, picky, picky.....

I think (s)he made a GREAT point.

(Sorry HamOp, your name does not indicate gender. :) )

Well you just know I have to clear that up. I'm a "he":D

Thanks Sail

It has been explained many times that after the cabin stewards and the dining room staff get their share of the Hotel Service Charge, the rest of the monies are divided among the "Behind The Scenes" staff -- which includes the kitchen staff, the men who work the tenders, the laundry people, the people you see polishing everything, the florest, the engine room people, the people who clean the restrooms, etc.

So why wouldn't the workers who clean the outside windows, paint and keep the exterior part of the ship in ship shape not be included??

It has been explained many times that after the cabin stewards and the dining room staff get their share of the Hotel Service Charge, the rest of the monies are divided among the "Behind The Scenes" staff -- which includes the kitchen staff, the men who work the tenders, the laundry people, the people you see polishing everything, the florest, the engine room people, the people who clean the restrooms, etc.

So why wouldn't the workers who clean the outside windows, paint and keep the exterior part of the ship in ship shape not be included??

The same reason the engine room people are most likely not included?

Or is everyone on the ship (excluding officers) included?

:confused::eek::D

Add into it the heat they often are coping with when doing that work. Look at the heavy jumpsuits they are wearing, hats, life jackets...... and consider it could be 90 degrees and humid though I doubt that was the case last week in Bermuda.

Great photo.

Thanks, HamOp...... I promise to not do (s)he again. :)

The same reason the engine room people are most likely not included?

Or is everyone on the ship (excluding officers) included?

:confused::eek::D

We were told once that the engine room people were included in the Hotel Service Charge -- that is why I listed them.

But things change all the time -- especially with all the new contracts.

Add into it the heat they often are coping with when doing that work. Look at the heavy jumpsuits they are wearing, hats, life jackets...... and consider it could be 90 degrees and humid though I doubt that was the case last week in Bermuda.

Great photo.

Thanks, HamOp...... I promise to not do (s)he again. :)

But was that hot when they were doing it on the Maasdam in Barbados! I can't even imagine...

Not saying anyone would, but if you ever think of removing the Hotel Charge, just remember these guys.

shipshape.jpg

Why does there appear to be a "body-less arm" to the left of the two men waving at us? :eek:

Love the excursion comment... is that what they pay or we pay? :D ...oh, that's how you get an upgrade. I keep telling my SIL that in order to move up out of the Dolphin deck you have to shovel coal for a day....

Not that it changes the situation with the HSC, but I do wonder if these guys are included. From the looks of the cranes I am guessing that the equipment is based on shore and it may be contractors from the port. HamOP, do you know for sure if these were crew or contractors. I'm sure the crew does similarly demanding work but most often when we are not in a position to get a photo. What impresses me more is that whatever they normally do, they all train constantly as firefighters, lifeboat operators and all kinds of other things to assure our safety. That to me is an even better reason to keep the HSC.

Roy

Not that it changes the situation with the HSC, but I do wonder if these guys are included. From the looks of the cranes I am guessing that the equipment is based on shore and it may be contractors from the port. HamOP, do you know for sure if these were crew or contractors. I'm sure the crew does similarly demanding work but most often when we are not in a position to get a photo. What impresses me more is that whatever they normally do, they all train constantly as firefighters, lifeboat operators and all kinds of other things to assure our safety. That to me is an even better reason to keep the HSC.

Roy

I was on the same cruise and I would say with about 95% certainty that they are HAL crew.

Roy

To tell the truth, I never thought that they might be shore side workers. It's a good question. I tend to agree with lorekauf that it's HAL workers that do the painting.

Maybe someone in the know will chime in and let us know.

Why does there appear to be a "body-less arm" to the left of the two men waving at us? :eek:

Love the excursion comment... is that what they pay or we pay? :D ...oh, that's how you get an upgrade. I keep telling my SIL that in order to move up out of the Dolphin deck you have to shovel coal for a day....

Before I can answer, I have to ask..... WHAT 2 men waving at us??? I do not see them:confused::confused:

Joanie

Archived