More Lies about Carnival

tikimon

Except at the beach, then he wears a swim suit;).

He does until he gets into "the juice" and then, while standing in waist-high water, starts swirling those trunks "around in the air like he just don't care!" :D

Nor have I had anyone "shoving alcohol in my face".

I Disagree. They do push those drinks on you. I've considered wearing a t-shirt that says "NO THANKS" just because I get sick of turning away waiter after waiter after waiter offering me drinks. I know that they're doing their job and the cruise line needs to generate revenue, but I don't need someone asking me every 30 seconds if I want a drink. BELIEVE ME, if I want a drink, I'll know how and where to get one! :D

To answer the OP, I guess it all depends on what state of mind people are in when they board a ship. If people are in Party Mood, they'll find the party. If they are in Family Time Mood, they'll find the family oriented activities. Two people can board the same exact ship and return with vastly different experiences.

My Carnival cruises as a single, younger guy were MUCH more different than my current Carnival cruises (as a married, more "mature" guy with kids).

He does until he gets into "the juice" and then, while standing in waist-high water, starts swirling those trunks "around in the air like he just don't care!" :D

LOL, yep!

I Disagree. They do push those drinks on you. I've considered wearing a t-shirt that says "NO THANKS" just because I get sick of turning away waiter after waiter after waiter offering me drinks. I know that they're doing their job and the cruise line needs to generate revenue, but I don't need someone asking me every 30 seconds if I want a drink. BELIEVE ME, if I want a drink, I'll know how and where to get one! :D

To answer the OP, I guess it all depends on what state of mind people are in when they board a ship. If people are in Party Mood, they'll find the party. If they are in Family Time Mood, they'll find the family oriented activities. Two people can board the same exact ship and return with vastly different experiences.

My Carnival cruises as a single, younger guy were MUCH more different than my current Carnival cruises (as a married, more "mature" guy with kids).

I learned quickly on NCL that if I didn't make eye contact with the server they wouldn't say anything to me. Does that not work on CCL?

The only time we've seen this type of behavior is on the 3-4 night cruises, or any cruise that has groups of people on Spring Break - not that there's anything wrong with having a blast while getting drunk.

I'd hate to see their final S&S account bills! :eek::eek:

Not quite wet t-shirt contests, but some of those pool games can get R-rated and racy.

Carnival is NOT known for discouraging drinking. From the moment you get on, they are shoving alcohol on your face. Some of the most popular onboard activities include free alcohol samplings and bartending competitions.

While saying that there are SO many drunk people onboard may be an exaggeration, pretending that everyone walking around the ship is sober and pleasant is an even bigger exaggeration.

They may have designated "non-smoking" areas, but these are constantly violated by smokers and nobody does anything to stop it. Carnival's smoking policies and designated smoking areas DO make it hard to get away from the smoke.

A bit exaggerated, but the dancing waiters ARE there. In fact, there's a thred going on right now about how some people hate the dancing waiters.

No, it's not ridiculous at all. Exaggerated and blown out of proportion, YES. But the claims do have a genuine basis...

racy??? :confused: I don't think so.

CCl is no pushier with the drinks than any other line because this is where their $$$ is made

wow...:rolleyes:

No way.

yeah, I'm not fond of dancing waiters but it is what it is...

I disagree and I am NOT a cheerleader.

I think that Carnival's food and Princess's food are on the same level...but you pay SO much more for Princess that Carnival is obviously the better deal.

Personally, while I enjoyed my Disney cruise, the food in the main dining rooms was borderline awful. Especially considering what you pay for a Disney cruise.

My first 5 or 6 cruises were on Disney. Beautiful ships, but my DGrD wasn't crazy about their kids clubs. We also didn't care for food in MDRs. Especially Tritans . The ceiling was lit in bluish green lighting to give feeling of being in the sea. Cool idea, but I'll never forget looking down at my prime rib and seeing a bluish green piece of meat sitting in front of me !! Yuck. Lighting didn't make any beef dish very appealing. Food was never hot. Service was good, but for cost of cruise I could almost book 2 on CCL and GrD enjoyed their clubs.

no. the yard of ale was the final contest. the team was always a guy and the girl. one cruise, the girl drank more than her partner. i still even remember her name.

i don't think i drink a yard of ale in a year!

I am sure it is hard to forget being beaten by a woman !!!!:D I would remember her name, too !;)

We have sailed Disney and Carnival. We sailed Disney first as I had heard all the rumors about Carnival as well. I was bored as could be on Disney. Bored. I couldn't find enough things to do. When we sailed the Dream, I had so much fun. There was ALWAYS something to do. I never saw a wet tee contest or how much can you drink in 10 min, nor did I see anyone fight. I saw plenty of you tube videos showing fights on Carnival ships, but none broke out on my ship.

My best friend will only sail RCCL. I am trying to get her and her family to cruise with us in Nov but she won't. Trying to get them to cruise with us on the Dream in 2013, but she won't. I told her Carnival is def not as bad as the rumors are, she still won't listen.

Such as shame certain people won't try them. Had I known and gotten over my own worries, we could have been sailing long before now on Carnival. I would absolutely bring my sons onboard with us, and I would have done it before they were teens, had I known.

It's sad that people have all these misconceptions and let it completely control their cruising choices. Unfortunately even if you did get them to book on CCL, they would probably spend a majority of the time looking for all the 'bad' stuff, which would confirm their opinion.:(

I have only cruised CCL because it has always been the right price or the right fit for us. I have no problems cruising on another line if the opportunity was there. One of our 'cruising bucket list' locations is Bermuda, so I guess we will end up on another cruise line eventually.:D

One thing I have to disagree on is that one poster said that he tells people Carnival is not as bad as the rumors say. I don't think Carnival is bad at all. I have only been on 2 so maybe I shouldn't even comment, but I will. On the 2 Carnival cruises I went on, I have never seen any drunks laying around, throwing up going on or even smoking in your face going on. and I cruised years ago when smoking was permitted all over. People tell me all the time about the cheap Carnival boat and ,that I should cruise on another cruiseline. Well Carnival is convenient for me (I live in the New Orleans area). How can anyone talk about Carnival cruislines when they have never even cruised period, but they do. As far as the waiters dancing on the table, yes I saw this and no I don't like it. I think they should give that up.

Let me first say that I have been asked about my take on cruising, which cruiselines I've cruised, which one's I liked, ports of call I've been to, how's the food, what there is to do, etc, etc from a guy that is one of my business suppliers, this has gone on for at least 2 years.

I've told him about Carnival as my 1st choice and also about RCI and Prnicess as these are the only 3 lines I've been on, so I could not give an opinion on any others.

Well the other day I was talking to him and he and his family booked a Disiney cruise out of Port Carnival for 7 days, he said his wife chose Disiney because they have 2 small girls and wanted to make sure that they had a nice and fun experienance on their 1st cruise.

Tom goes on to begin to tell me what a wonderful time that they all had and that they were wanting to book another cruise shortly after getting back home, ( now another cruise junkie ), but that they would like to try another cruiseline.

So in the process of talking amoung themselves while still on the Disiney cruise, he begins asking others what cruises they would recommend and came across a guy that told him DO NOT take your children on a Carnival cruise.

He asked what's the problem with Carnival and the guy tells him it's not a curiseline for children because they have ( Wet Tee Shirt Contest ) up on the pool deck every day.

Also they have ( Drinking Contests ) to see who can consume the most drinks in a 10 min time limit and after this is over there are so many drunk people all over the ship being rude and fighting with other passengers and puking all over the place.

They allow smoking all over the ship and you can't get away from it.

He also said that the waiters in the Dining Room dance on every table before you can finish your meal.

I said are you for real?

I told him out of all the 18 cruises I have never witnessed these contest nor have I ever heard of them being displayed on any cruiseship.

Tom goes on to tell me that he asked the guy how many times he had been on Carnival and the guy says never, so Tom says if you've never been on Carnival how do know that this stuff goes on.

The guy replies I was told by my sisters best friend.

Is this not the most rediculious thing you have ever heard of.

Why do people feel the need to give advise about something they know nothing about?

When I first started cruising back in the 1990's they did have drinking contests on the ships, They had a funnel to see how fast a person can drink the whole thing about( 2.5 12 oz cans of beer).This did happen on the ships. I do not recall wet tee shirt contests held on the CCL ships.

Gary

I cruised years ago when smoking was permitted all over.

i never remember smoking allowed all over the ship. it was allowed on the starboard side all over the ship; in the dining room, and even in the show lounge.

i never remember smoking allowed all over the ship. it was allowed on the starboard side all over the ship; in the dining room, and even in the show lounge.

Sorry, guess I was wrong. As you can see I don't cruise much, but my daughter is a smoker and I do know that her last cruise, she couldn't smoke just anywhere on the ship. I thought way back in 2004, the restrictions with smokers was less than today.

even offseason every DCL cruise i've priced out is close to 2-1/2 times more than same cabin type & # days on CCL.

you're preaching to the choir, we own DVC and are stopping in at Beach Club Villas for several days after our upcoming cruise;) and I feel their food is better than CCL

castaway is wonderful:)and to be able to walk right off the ship even better but I do feel when it comes to actual beach grooming HMC gets the nod.

I have to agree. We have done 3 DCL cruises and used to go off season as well as you could get some bargains.

I just checked a couple nights ago and the cheapest 7 day cruise to the Caribbean for any week in 2013 was $920pp for an inside.

I figured with the addirion of the 2 new ships that pricing would come down but it's done the opposite and gone up.

I don't see another DCL cruise in our near future.

Bill

I have to agree. We have done 3 DCL cruises and used to go off season as well as you could get some bargains.

I just checked a couple nights ago and the cheapest 7 day cruise to the Caribbean for any week in 2013 was $920pp for an inside.

I figured with the addirion of the 2 new ships that pricing would come down but it's done the opposite and gone up.

Right now on the new ships, inside cabins are more expensive than outside views due to the electronic portholes - insides are more popular and cost more. That said, bargains will be had in time. Disney always overreaches in setting prices, if you are savvy with DCL, you can find bargains. I am sailing the new ship (Disney Fantasy) this December for 775 per person OV.

Right now on the new ships, inside cabins are more expensive than outside views due to the electronic portholes - insides are more popular and cost more. That said, bargains will be had in time. Disney always overreaches in setting prices, if you are savvy with DCL, you can find bargains. I am sailing the new ship (Disney Fantasy) this December for 775 per person OV.

And you think 775pp for OV is a bargain???

i can only think of two pool games.

one was on a cruise where participants were prodded to buy mechanical swimming frogs, and the later, once back on board, there was a race to see which frog would make it across the pool first.

all the frogs were unclothed.

the other was a contest to collect ping pong balls from the pool by putting them in the participants own bathing suit.

then we would all count as they removed their balls and placed them in the bucket.

Oh my!!!! Not naked frogs!! That's it for me! I am an official Disney cruiser now! The shame of some people! And to know carnival let this happen!! Lawsuit time! If I was there who knows what I may have been subjected to!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And you think 775pp for OV is a bargain???

For a Disney cruise is sounds like it.

Oh my!!!! Not naked frogs!! That's it for me! I am an official Disney cruiser now! The shame of some people! And to know carnival let this happen!! Lawsuit time! If I was there who knows what I may have been subjected to!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Naked frogs or naked ducks, youse makes youse choice;).

all the frogs were unclothed.

ROTFL! Love it!

No need to fear !! Those are not "real" muscles !!:p:p

Ditto.

It's sad that people have all these misconceptions and let it completely control their cruising choices. Unfortunately even if you did get them to book on CCL, they would probably spend a majority of the time looking for all the 'bad' stuff, which would confirm their opinion.:(

I have only cruised CCL because it has always been the right price or the right fit for us. I have no problems cruising on another line if the opportunity was there. One of our 'cruising bucket list' locations is Bermuda, so I guess we will end up on another cruise line eventually.:D

I feel the same way, and realized I was doing the same thing with my opinion of NCL. Never sailed them yet wouldn't consider them. Well, I decided to do a solo cruise and asked on CC about single supplements and was told about the studio cabins on NCL Epic. I'm booked. So, now I'll try them for myself and until I've sailed with them I'll reserve comment. Of course, the Epic is not representative of the entire fleet, but it'll be a start. :o

Like others, I've heard so many negative things about Carnival from people who've never set foot on a Canival ship. A coworker of mine sailed HAL a few years ago shortly before we met and we got to talking about cruising. I had one booked and she asked which line followed by "Not Carnival, I hope." I asked, "Why not Carnival" and she started telling me things like what the OP was saying. I asked which Carnival ship she'd sailed and she said, "Oh, I've only done one cruise and it was on HAL." I said, "Oh, I've done six Carnival cruises and never experienced any of those things you mentioned." She wants to do another cruise and guess what? She's considering booking Carnival. LOL. :D

Not quite wet t-shirt contests, but some of those pool games can get R-rated and racy.

Carnival is NOT known for discouraging drinking. From the moment you get on, they are shoving alcohol on your face. Some of the most popular onboard activities include free alcohol samplings and bartending competitions.

While saying that there are SO many drunk people onboard may be an exaggeration, pretending that everyone walking around the ship is sober and pleasant is an even bigger exaggeration.

They may have designated "non-smoking" areas, but these are constantly violated by smokers and nobody does anything to stop it. Carnival's smoking policies and designated smoking areas DO make it hard to get away from the smoke.

A bit exaggerated, but the dancing waiters ARE there. In fact, there's a thred going on right now about how some people hate the dancing waiters.

No, it's not ridiculous at all. Exaggerated and blown out of proportion, YES. But the claims do have a genuine basis...

Actually as a main cruiser of Royal and carnival, Royal definately has had more drunks, more r rated shenanigans on deck and worse food. So your pointy is?

the only thing he is remotely correct about is the beer drinking contest. a string of people used to line up and drink glasses of beer as quick as possible, eliminating people as they went along.

eventually, there would be two remaining teams, who would appear surprised that their last feat was to down a yard of ale! :eek

gone also is the pie eating, the pillow fighting, the male nightgown contest, and the skeet shooting.

anyway, i had heard none of this nonsence prior to my first carnival cruise. in fact, it was another 10 years till i found cruise critic on aol in 1996.

eventually, i started reading, and hearing this stuff you mention. my first question was always inquiring as to if they ever cruised carnival? the answer was always invariably, "no, but i heard....".

even today, i sometimes read "back in the 90's it was like that. "hey bud, it wasn't, cause i cruised way before that and never experienced it.

now, to say it NEVER happened is just wrong as well, cause i've seen and heard some intresested fact backed incidents that some have experienced.

something as simple as "table dancing". when the newer bigger ships came out, yes, select individuals started dancing on those circular serve stantions. i always contested someone when they would say people danced on the table, until someone posted a picure of someone dancing on an actual table. i never said never again, but i can still say i've never witnessed this personally.

but even weeding through all these "i heard" statements, it's always refreshing those that had heard, yet sailed, pst their contrasts to fiction, to reality.

Yes I have posted many of pics when on Royal of drunks on tables, that is a fact , actually more on royal than carnival. Skeet shooting unfortunately was eliminated , it is a upper class excursion that was eliminated for the the macys crowd of miniature golf and rock climbing walls. Skeet shooting was very expensive but worth it and I'm sure something you wouldn't understand, but probably love the new burger place "guys".;)

Archived