More Lies about Carnival

tikimon

We've been doing 2 or 3 cruises a year since 2000 and in the early days avoided Carnival because of the bad things we heard on the other cruise lines. We met a couple from England on a Princess cruise and they told us that they did (the unthinkable) take Carnival cruises and that they were a lot of fun and comperable to everyone else. We still cruise the other lines but now we mostly do Carnival because they seem to always be the best value for the money. I have noticed over the years that they have become very family friendly and listening to parents have heard that Camp Carnival is unsurpassed by anyone else.

We have been on three DCL cruises and loved them all! We just sailed on the new, beautiful Fantasy four weeks ago. We had a great time, stayed very busy and didn't see any drunks. (We would have noticed while "people watching" on Decks 11 and 12!) We did bring our own beer and liquor and enjoyed drinking a few cold ones on our friends' balcony. (With our family size, inside cabins are the way to go!) Yes, DCL is expensive, but we felt it was worth every penny.

My daughter and I are cruising on Carnival in 20 days, for first time! We are very excited and have read all we can about CCL. Just like Disney, you find folks that love and hate CCL. I am keeping an open mind! I am looking forward to relaxing and when the waiters come by to ask me if I want a drink, I just might say "Yes"!! (Actually, I am looking forward to my first "Kiss On The Lips"!) What made Carnival irresistible for us is that the port is only 20 minutes away and who can cruise for six days for $600? Regardless of the ship or cruise line, the sun will shine (I hope), the water will be a gorgeous blue, the drinks will be cold and I am sure there will be good food somewhere on the ship! We can't wait!!!

Last week on the conquest I happened to catch a glimpse of inside edition and they were talking about excessive partying on a cruise ship (and grandma and grandpa doing a shot). I expected to see a carnival ship because that is how they portray carnival on TV and it was actually Royal Carribean (Freedom or Liberty of the Seas I think). I was kind of surprised since I thought that was one of their nicer ships. Anyway it looked to be a spring break cruise of some kind and reminded me of something you would see on a late night infomercial for girls gone wild or something. The show had something to do with someone who was intoxicated and then I believe went overboard and how it was the ship's fault. So I guess RCCL can be seen as a party line now too.

Not quite wet t-shirt contests, but some of those pool games can get R-rated and racy.

Carnival is NOT known for discouraging drinking. From the moment you get on, they are shoving alcohol on your face. Some of the most popular onboard activities include free alcohol samplings and bartending competitions.

Which activities are these? The only ones I know of free alcohol in past guest and auctions. Do they try and sell drinks? Of course but I don't consider it "shoving alcohol in your face"

While saying that there are SO many drunk people onboard may be an exaggeration, pretending that everyone walking around the ship is sober and pleasant is an even bigger exaggeration.

Yeah well being from NYC finding pleasant "anywhere" is tough sometimes LOL...

They may have designated "non-smoking" areas, but these are constantly violated by smokers and nobody does anything to stop it. Carnival's smoking policies and designated smoking areas DO make it hard to get away from the smoke.

While on the Freedom in January of found "most" places were NON-SMOKING and a few designated "smoking" areas. I think Carnival is doing a great job with smoking-non smoking areas.

A bit exaggerated, but the dancing waiters ARE there. In fact, there's a thred going on right now about how some people hate the dancing waiters.

I for one LOVE the dancing waiters and hope they continue it.

No, it's not ridiculous at all. Exaggerated and blown out of proportion, YES. But the claims do have a genuine basis...

Oh well....to each his own I guess

I think the thing that people fail to realize is that the beauty of cruise ships is that you can do so many things, it is hard to stereotype cruise lines. I've been drunk on NCL, Disney, Celebrity, CCL. I've also read books and relaxed on all of them. In the end, your cruise is your cruise and you should have fun and not worry what the heck other people are saying regarding the line. I've never had a bad vacation, they are still better than being at work.

People who drink too much of the Disney "Kool-Aid" like nothing more than bashing Carnival.

Whatever you do, do NOT go to the DIS Boards and say you like Carnival. They will eat you alive.

They push the wine packages and "drink of the day" just as much on Disney as they do on any other cruise line. I've cruised Carnival, Princess, Norwegian and Disney. And I've seen more drunks on Disney than I have on any of the others....not sure why......maybe because they let people bring their own alcohol onboard?

They're having to deal with more kids! :p

Have you seen them over at "Epcot", drinking from country to country? Amazing.. oh WAIT that was me trying to get that "wonderful world" song out of my head!

Been there, done that!

Last week on the conquest I happened to catch a glimpse of inside edition and they were talking about excessive partying on a cruise ship (and grandma and grandpa doing a shot). I expected to see a carnival ship because that is how they portray carnival on TV and it was actually Royal Carribean (Freedom or Liberty of the Seas I think). I was kind of surprised since I thought that was one of their nicer ships. Anyway it looked to be a spring break cruise of some kind and reminded me of something you would see on a late night infomercial for girls gone wild or something. The show had something to do with someone who was intoxicated and then I believe went overboard and how it was the ship's fault. So I guess RCCL can be seen as a party line now too.

Just after the Concordia fiasco, there was a TV show (can't remember which one, think it was 20/20), where they talked non-stop about all the drunken partying on Carnival....AS THEY WERE SHOWING ROYAL CARIBBEAN SHIPS!!! Carnival doesn't have those light up cups with the crown and anchor on them. ;)

I think the thing that people fail to realize is that the beauty of cruise ships is that you can do so many things, it is hard to stereotype cruise lines. I've been drunk on NCL, Disney, Celebrity, CCL. I've also read books and relaxed on all of them. In the end, your cruise is your cruise and you should have fun and not worry what the heck other people are saying regarding the line. I've never had a bad vacation, they are still better than being at work.

This!! ^^

We took our first cruise on Carnival last week and I was a little concerned because of alot of negativity we had heard about Carnival. Well, we had a great time and will definately sail again with Carnival.

Loved our cabin and the ship and the crew.

The waiters danced on those circular serve stations in the MDR on the Splendor in April. I would have had a hard time believing it if I hadn't seen it!

It's actually very frequent, but certainly no harm meant in the process. I'm not a huge fan of the dancing in the MDR, so I'm often one to skip dessert and escape a bit early.

Heck, sometimes even the Maitre d' gets up on those serving stations as part of his act.

853354291_7DREY-L.jpg

A very talented man, for sure.

People who drink too much of the Disney "Kool-Aid" like nothing more than bashing Carnival.

Whatever you do, do NOT go to the DIS Boards and say you like Carnival. They will eat you alive.

They push the wine packages and "drink of the day" just as much on Disney as they do on any other cruise line. I've cruised Carnival, Princess, Norwegian and Disney. And I've seen more drunks on Disney than I have on any of the others....not sure why......maybe because they let people bring their own alcohol onboard?

:D:D:D

I started to reply to this last night but got sidetracked. It's the Mickey Goggles! The DCL faithful can't/won't acknowledge that there are other options out there that are just as good. Which is fine, but it still amazes me the sheer number of them that have to trash talk most other lines, especially Carnival, as a way of making themselves feel superior.

I'm glad that I have the ability to enjoy a bunch of different cruise lines. It gives me options that they don't have.

Archived