Blue Grotto trips

blackpool belle

Do they still do boat trips to the Blue Grotto from Capri??

YES, it's a bit of a tourist "thing", but it is very interesting to see and do. The "light" in that cave is very unique. Below are a couple of pictures from when we did this "adventure".

If visiting the Naples area on a one-day cruise visit, be prepared for the reality that you cannot do it "ALL" in just one day. Too many good options here with Pompeii, Amalfi Coast, Capri, Sorrento, Naples, Positano, etc., etc. Love the whole area so much!!

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 78,246 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

On Capri, we are departing on a smaller boat to visit the famed Blue Grotto. It is a very charming island with much to see and do. The second picture shows the larger boats having people transferred to smaller ones to go inside the grotto.:

CapriDeparting.jpg

CapriSeeingBlueHole.jpg

As we approached Capri, here is one of the large rock formations with a boat shown circling the island:

CapriRock2.jpg

Positano is uniquely built along the slopping mountain side along the Amalfi Coast. Here's an artist's view as he paints this scenic site.

It-Positano.jpg

Its been a couple of years but I imagine they still offer boat trips around the entire island or just to the blue grotto. If the weather is nice and you have time, we loved the boat trip around the island. The Blue Grotto is the most impressive (you have to get into little boats and you are rowed into the grotto), on the boat trip around you also get to see the green grotto and the white grotto (I think.) The longer boat ride wasn't that much more money and it was a lovely trip.

I've been wondering how difficult it is to transfer in/out of the smaller boats that go into the blue grotto. I'd love to go, but I'm not as nimble as I used to be. :o

It's not an issue, these guys are pros. They moved my aunt, who only has use of one leg, and my mother, who was in her late 80's at the time, easily, quicklly and safely. They pick you up and move you almost before you know what happened

It's not an issue, these guys are pros. They moved my aunt, who only has use of one leg, and my mother, who was in her late 80's at the time, easily, quicklly and safely. They pick you up and move you almost before you know what happened

Good report that things worked out well. They get lots and lots of visitors there so I had assumed they would know how to handle things well. Nice to have it confirmed.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 69,350 views.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

• 4 weeks later...
Did you purchase your tickets ahead of time or did you buy them when you got over to Capri?

Keep in mind that you will not know if they are even running boats to the Blue Grotto until you arrive at Marina Grande (the port on Capri). There are many days when they cannot go into the Grotto because of high tides or rough waters. When you arrive at Marina Grande, as you walk off the ferry pier you will see the signs (right on the pier) for boat tours to the Blue Grotto (and boat tours around the island) which is when you would make your inquiries and buy your ticket.

Hank

Keep in mind that you will not know if they are even running boats to the Blue Grotto until you arrive at Marina Grande (the port on Capri). There are many days when they cannot go into the Grotto because of high tides or rough waters. When you arrive at Marina Grande, as you walk off the ferry pier you will see the signs (right on the pier) for boat tours to the Blue Grotto (and boat tours around the island) which is when you would make your inquiries and buy your ticket.

Hank

are there several cos. selling tickets for 'public' boat tours around the island, i.e., anyone can walk-up, buy ticket, and go? if so, would appreciate tour company names and contact/website info. would like to look up schedule, how long the tours are, fares, etc - anyone know approx. cost/per person, 'walk-up' fare and how long is a tour that encircles the island and makes stop at Blue Grotto, weather and sea conditons, permitting? also, how many passengers boat can take?

thank you.

Several people took the tour to the Blue Grotto from our cruise ship last month. The general concensus was that it was not worth it. You may disagree but it may help to hear other reviews.

We visited Capri about 6 or 7 times before we finally decided to take the time to go to the Blue Grotto (just took a boat tour from Marina Grande). Our evaluation was that is was an overpriced tourist trap....but a tourist trap that many would want to visit (once). We did it....spent the money,,,,enjoyed the long boat ride from Marina Grande around the island to the Grotto, and thought that the Blue Grotto was OK but not worth the time or money (personal opinion). We are glad we finally went to the place....but its not something we would do again (and we have been back to Capri another 4 or 5 times) nor would we recommend the excursion.

We do think that the best highlight on Capri is to simply take the local bus up to Anacapri and then take the reasonably priced chair lift up to the top of Mt Solara.

Hank

Archived