AT&T coverage on alaska cruises

brandysmommy

What was your experience using an AT&T cell phone in Alaskan ports and when the ship was near shore. In the Baltic, we were so close to shore that much of our time at sea we had land rather than ship to shore coverage.

What was your experience using an AT&T cell phone in Alaskan ports and when the ship was near shore. In the Baltic, we were so close to shore that much of our time at sea we had land rather than ship to shore coverage.

no problem at all in ketchikan, skagway, sitka, juneau, it is the USA.

When the ship is docked, can you use your phone on board without being on the ship to shore expensive link? We are trying to decide whether to take two phones or one, because it would be nice to communicate when one of us is in port shopping and the other one is back on the ship. I know I would probably have to get off the ship to send and receive email without using the ship's WiFi, but I am not sure about calls and texts.

When the ship is docked, can you use your phone on board without being on the ship to shore expensive link? We are trying to decide whether to take two phones or one, because it would be nice to communicate when one of us is in port shopping and the other one is back on the ship. I know I would probably have to get off the ship to send and receive email without using the ship's WiFi, but I am not sure about calls and texts.

Your phone should default to your carrier's signal when you're in range of it. The display should show you what service you're accessing. I've never used a ship's wifi, but isn't it something you'd have to login to to access??

I am a novice, but I think the problem would be roaming charges if I was using the ship's signal in any way. Otherwise, we could make all the calls we wanted from the ship without a problem, but it has to do with the ship to shore rates, I believe.

You should find the service will work well from any of the Alaskan Ports. We were there twice in the last nine months and that included the ports that are often visited but also this last time around ports that very few people visit and the cell phone (ATT) worked perfectly from all of the ports.

Also, when you are docked you can use your phone from the ship. When you turn it on you will see towards the top whether or not it is your regular carrier. Unless the ship forgot to turn off their on board system (which they should have) you will get your carriers signal.

Keith

Archived