Why not just end formal nights altogether?

I've only been on 3 cruises[1 Princess and RCCL EOS] and I wear the same thing every night, even for formal nights. I wear very nice pants, a nice shirt but no tie, no tux, no black suit and have never been denied dining service. I respect anyone who wants to dress up all the way, to each their own but why not follow the NCL model of every night is formal night and casual night. Its the best of both worlds because lets face it, there are no real formal nights anyway. They won't deny you if you look half decent. By the way I think I've seen jeans in the dining room one or twice.

but the difference is not only the garb, but the attitude. Some enjoy Dining, others are there to eat.

Having recognized formal nights maintains that difference for many. As you say, it is truly a wear anything world today. But there is still a goodly portion of folks that enjoy the concept of a dining experience.

And please, make an effort to not compare RCI (and many other cruise lines) to NCL.....the NO Class Lines.

I'd be quite disappointed if formal dining was eliminated. I'm even more disappointed to see them allowing shorts and jeans into the dining room.

I personally feel they do offer plenty of other dining options for those that don't enjoy the more formal atmosphere. For me, dressing up and feeling pampered at dinner is one of the great joys of my trip.

-J

There are so many options on where to have dinner now, those who don't 'Do' formal don't have to go. Those who want to dress have the option. I'm all about options. I have no desire to pack, haul and dress a family for dinner on vacation but those who like to have the option! It's all good.

It's just a suggested dress code. Wear what you want, you're on vacation. As for me, I like formal night, it's more like a special date night and since i don't wear a suit every day at work I don't mind bringing one with on vacation.

Formal nights means spa appointments, photos, tux rentals, and other sources of income ... I doubt they will ditch it any time soon.

Probably true...but they have photo ops set up every damn night now.

I have enjoyed many cruises without formal days - Windstar and Regent both are very classy without the prentence. I would LOVE to see "formal evenings" gone and in its place a real respect for all the human-beings on the ship. Ah well, I can dream.

For everyone who dislikes formal nights there is pretty much someone for whom those nights are a highlight of his or her cruise. Since the dress code is a suggestion rather than a strict requirement and there are plenty of alternative dining venues for those who object to dressing up, where is there a need to eliminate those two or three nights? And as someone has mentioned the ancillary activities associated with formal nights, especially the opportunity to have formal pictures taken, make formal nights profitable.

Formal nights means spa appointments, photos, tux rentals, and other sources of income ... I doubt they will ditch it any time soon.

Agree, they won't me$$ around with the bottom line.

Actually, I think they are moving in the only direction they can.

Keep formal night...but allow smart casual dressers into the MDR

also on 'Formal Night'.

Reason: On my last RCCL cruises our MDR wait staff seemed worried by

the many empty tables on Formal Night...no doubt affecting their personal

bottom lines.

On a solo cruise the M/D' called me and asked why I hadn't gone to MDR.

That's proof that they are monitoring absentees...if they called me.

So, Ya, a compromise it is.

:cool:

+1 (that was exactly what I was thinking)

We love formal nights. I have no problem with packing anything for that evening. Some of our best photos on board a ship have come from formal nights. :D

Guys I don't think your following, make every night formal night and casual night. Dress up all 7,9,12, 14 days if you like, or don't. That is all I'm talking about. Think of it this way, end formal "formal" nights if you get what I'm saying. And don't be snobs, putting down NCL like that, that is snob ville.

We love formal nights! We "dress up " for dinner every night on a cruise. However Formal night gives us the chance to really dress up. I love the look and feel of the evening with all the suits ,tux, and gowns !

I like the suggestion some one had before on another thread that they should do one floor of the MDR for every one dressed for formal night and another floor for theose that don't want to dress formal but still want to enjoy the MDR that evening . It would still leave the "feel " of FORMAL for those of us who enjoy that .

Seems we don't know what cruise lines will do. They seem to make it up as they go. Perhaps formal nights will go away as tradition is going away. Some for good, and others sad.

What continues to crack me up is people who fixate on the word suggested attire. If you read the dress codes, when is says "formal night" that should be the end of it. It's formal. But RCCL goes the extra (secondary) mile in instructing folks what that means and whats acceptable.

It doesn't "suggest" that you go formal or not, it suggests what to wear on formal night.

I like it the way it is. I would prefer everyone dress up on the same night, not whenever they choose. Having everyone (or most) dressed up on the same night is what sets the atmosphere.

If anything, just do away with one of them. I would be good with just 1 formal night on a week long cruise.

Guys I don't think your following, make every night formal night and casual night. Dress up all 7,9,12, 14 days if you like, or don't. That is all I'm talking about. Think of it this way, end formal "formal" nights if you get what I'm saying. And don't be snobs, putting down NCL like that, that is snob ville.

It removes from the asthetic when a family walks in not dressed up. There isn't a partition around each table, so when a person goes to some extra trouble to look 'formal' and sees others who don't, the experience is diminished for them.

I like it the way it is. I would prefer everyone dress up on the same night, not whenever they choose. Having everyone (or most) dressed up on the same night is what sets the atmosphere.

If anything, just do away with one of them. I would be good with just 1 formal night on a week long cruise.

I agree. One formal night would be fine for me, and hubby would like that as well. Perhaps that would be a good change. As other posters have said, It's the atmosphere of eveyone looking so lovely that is esspecially nice to see on formal night.

So it seems it could be said here as well, "If you don't like formal night, and don't choose to dine in the WJ or elsewhere, choose a cruise that doesn't have FORMAL night."

Several of the luxury cruise lines (Regent, Seabourn and I think Crystal) do not have formal nights. It is country club casual all the way. Most of the men wear open color shirts with sports coats in the main dining room. Woman in nice dressy pants and tops. Of course these ships do not have photographers for those formal night pictures. It certainly made packing for those cruises a lot easier.

Archived