Why not just end formal nights altogether?

We enjoy every minute of every cruise because we are with people we love...have NEVER let what anyone else wears bother us at all!!! Relax and let it go...you're on a cruise and focusing on what everyone else does give them the power to determine what kind of time you have.

Touche

If you don't care to dress up at all, go to another line (i.e., NCL or Azura) that is totally casual as far as dress is concerned.

However, if the cruise line you choose has a suggested dress code of anything other than strictly casual, don't complain about it and try to see how far you can push your casual dress.

As far as wearing the same thing night after night, unless you are in a branch of the armed services, that just shows lack of respect for yourself and others who are near you. Nothing something I would be bragging about. :(

MARAPRINCE

This is falling into just a few camps....

-Those who want to dress formal, and also wants others to do as they do...

-Those who want to dress formal, but don't care what others do...

-Those who want to look nice, but not necessarily in a suit/tie/dress/gown

-Those who don't want anyone telling them what to wear.......

None of these folks are ever going to agree.

I will say, based on some of the posts I've read here at CC over the years, even if someone dressed in a tux or evening gown, someone would find fault in the way they other person wore their clothes, or the type of tux/evening gown that was worn.

So, you really can't win no matter which way you believe.

None of these folks are ever going to agree.

I will say, based on some of the posts I've read here at CC over the years, even if someone dressed in a tux or evening gown, someone would find fault in the way they other person wore their clothes, or the type of tux/evening gown that was worn.

So, you really can't win no matter which way you believe.

Good post. The thing that should be done is for RCCL to enforce their codes and let people make an informed decision whether it fits their fancy or not.

Good start to a survey - ;)

Good post. The thing that should be done is for RCCL to enforce their codes and let people make an informed decision whether it fits their fancy or not.

:cool:AMEN. If you are going to have a code, enforce. If you are not going to enforce it, do away with it and cruisers will decide if they can live with it or move on to another cruise line:cool: I LIKE THE CODES, NOW ENFORCE EM

Hey Heidi, you just don't get it.... Formal occassions are going the way of the wagon wheel and the dinosaur. Perhaps you are of an age that just won't accept change any more, but you need to face the fact that nothing stays the same, Traditions and customs evolve. Formal events and all of the dress that goes with them are dying traditions. RCCL as well every business' success depends on the ability to change with the times. Just like the design of cruise ships has changed dramatically over the last couple of years, so have the interests of most of the cruisers. many people have no interst in dressing up for formal nights. Call them formal nights if you wish but don't try to coerce others into dressing like you. No matter how loud some of you whine, RCCL and the rest of us will continue to evolve.

Hey Heidi, you just don't get it.... Formal occassions are going the way of the wagon wheel and the dinosaur. Perhaps you are of an age that just won't accept change any more, but you need to face the fact that nothing stays the same, Traditions and customs evolve. Formal events and all of the dress that goes with them are dying traditions. RCCL as well every business' success depends on the ability to change with the times. Just like the design of cruise ships has changed dramatically over the last couple of years, so have the interests of most of the cruisers. many people have no interst in dressing up for formal nights. Call them formal nights if you wish but don't try to coerce others into dressing like you. No matter how loud some of you whine, RCCL and the rest of us will continue to evolve.

Attitude much? I know formal night discussions get rather heated on here, but I think your post went over and beyond any common courtesy; or is that going the way of the dodo also? :rolleyes:

formal occasions are going the way of the wagon wheel and the dinosaur? are you serious? suits were worn at a family member's first communion last saturday, which was held at a country club. people rent tuxes and beautiful dresses for proms. and weddings are still considered formal occasions, right? dh wore a tuxedo (as did the rest of his party) and i was in a really big white dress, if i remember. and our dads were both in tuxes. and the least dressed people at my wedding (not including children) were still in very nice pants suits for women and dress slacks/button down/tie for the men.

not sure if certain parts of the country are doing away with formal occasions, but i still wear a dress and heels when going to a steakhouse... and never wear sweat pants, yoga pants, or track pants out of the house UNLESS i'm going to the gym. even a quick run to the store means putting on pants. it's not about evolving, it's about manners and common courtesy, imho. put on appropriate clothes when you leave the house, go out to dinner, go to a wedding, or go to formal night on a cruise.

but the difference is not only the garb, but the attitude. Some enjoy Dining, others are there to eat.

Having recognized formal nights maintains that difference for many. As you say, it is truly a wear anything world today. But there is still a goodly portion of folks that enjoy the concept of a dining experience.

And please, make an effort to not compare RCI (and many other cruise lines) to NCL.....the NO Class Lines.

I have read no further than your post, and couldn't agree more with what you wrote.

Doesn't anyone feel differently when they dress for a special occassion? I know I do.

The dining vs. eating experience is one that some people are unable to understand. This is an aspect of upbringing and lifestyle that is hard to explain to those who are unaware.

Happy Cruising,

TnT

Those who have Main dining room, Dress formal for the nights. But if you prefer My Time Dining, then you should have the option for MWD, My way of dressing. But Main dining room should stay formal. That is just my opinion of course.:D

It is fun to dress up on "formal"night. I even think dressing nice in biz casual is fun. Dressing for the occasion, a vacation is sea, isn't that difficult. I actually saw a group in cut off shorts entering the MDR and a bit loud(tipsy) while in port. In my opinion they should have been redirected to Windjammer. Seems like "codes" are not enforced across the board on RCCL.

I have read no further than your post, and couldn't agree more with what you wrote.

Doesn't anyone feel differently when they dress for a special occassion? I know I do.

The dining vs. eating experience is one that some people are unable to understand. This is an aspect of upbringing and lifestyle that is hard to explain to those who are unaware.

Happy Cruising,

TnT

What is the special occasion? Formal night on a mass market cruise ship does not qualify as a special occasion. It is make believe. And the dining experience on Royal Caribbean certainly does not make formal nights anything special. It is just another night in the dinning room with a different dress request.

Another example of the " ME" generation.I don't want it that way so change it NOW!!!!.Different lines have different attitudes so find the one that fits you.Leave RCCL alone,we like it this way.

not sure if certain parts of the country are doing away with formal occasions, but i still wear a dress and heels when going to a steakhouse... and never wear sweat pants, yoga pants, or track pants out of the house UNLESS i'm going to the gym. even a quick run to the store means putting on pants. it's not about evolving, it's about manners and common courtesy, imho. put on appropriate clothes when you leave the house, go out to dinner, go to a wedding, or go to formal night on a cruise.

I couldn't agree more waxingwitch

What is the special occasion? Formal night on a mass market cruise ship does not qualify as a special occasion. It is make believe. And the dining experience on Royal Caribbean certainly does not make formal nights anything special. It is just another night in the dinning room with a different dress request.

For some people it might be a special occasion, whatever anyone wants to call it, it is formal night, and it is about more than the food.

A lot of people DO enjoy the dressing up, the photos, seeing their partners dressed up.

There are other options onboard for those that don't want to participate in formal night, no one is forced to attend, so why try and take it away from those of us that do enjoy it?

I don't believe in evolution.:rolleyes:

But, that said, your post is rude and you obviously don't "get it".

But I do kind of get your attitude. You're one of the ones that believes change is always good. Well, I think we've learned in the last 3.5 years that change for change sake isn't a good reason.

And, you're trying to coerce others into what YOU want.

Another example of the " ME" generation.I don't want it that way so change it NOW!!!!.Different lines have different attitudes so find the one that fits you.Leave RCCL alone,we like it this way.

There is a reason why this comes up often and why Royal Caribbean has a lot of passengers who don't comply as has been complained about often in Cruise Critic threads. Royal Caribbean passengers don't seem to like it the way it is. They don't dress like they like formal dress. Maybe you are the one who is on a line that no longer fits you? From my observations cruising the major lines the past few years, Royal Caribbean, Princess, HAL, Celebrity and Carnival, Royal Caribbean has the lowest percentage of passengers who comply with the formal dress request. Yes, possibly even lower than Carnival.

But I do kind of get your attitude. You're one of the ones that believes change is always good. Well, I think we've learned in the last 3.5 years that change for change sake isn't a good reason.

Agreed!

Whenever someone does not agree it seems they are labeled rude.

Is change always good? No, but change does happen and it happens for a reason. I don't agree with the other person that formal occasions are going the way of the wagon wheel etc. There are real special occasions where formal dress is appropriate...... but cruise line dinners.....meh.

I think the person who asked the question that started this thread had a valid question.

Is change always good? No, but change does happen and it happens for a reason. I don't agree with the other person that formal occasions are going the way of the wagon wheel etc. There are real special occasions where formal dress is appropriate...... but cruise line dinners.....meh.

Um, no. The poster was rude and condescending.

I think the person who asked the question that started this thread had a valid question.

You must be voting "Obama" haha

Archived