Why not just end formal nights altogether?

My wife and enjoy formal nights. it is the one chance we have to dress up. Even weddings now have gone casual. To see everyone coming into the MDR looking great is one thing a cruise can offer; but you are so inclined to go casual on formal nights, so be it.

I have enjoyed many cruises without formal days - Windstar and Regent both are very classy without the prentence. I would LOVE to see "formal evenings" gone and in its place a real respect for all the human-beings on the ship. Ah well, I can dream.

I'm confused about your comment re the respect for all human beings on the ship. If you don't want to dress up for formal night, you don't have to. And if you're uncomfortable going to the MDR on formal night if you're not dressed formally, then you can go to the buffet or a specialty restaurant. So I think there are options and there is respect for everyone. Did I miss your point?

The reason to do away with formal nights is that most of us don't want them. It's a tradition from the past that should go away. The more RCCL focuses on international markets, the faster formal nights will go the way of the dinosaur. Please try to find a way to enjoy dinner that doesn't depend on how the rest of us dress.

The reason to do away with formal nights is that most of us don't want them. It's a tradition from the past that should go away. The more RCCL focuses on international markets, the faster formal nights will go the way of the dinosaur. Please try to find a way to enjoy dinner that doesn't depend on how the rest of us dress.

While I respect your desire to not dress formally, I do not think your opinion is shared by most.

Guys I don't think your following, make every night formal night and casual night. Dress up all 7,9,12, 14 days if you like, or don't. That is all I'm talking about. Think of it this way, end formal "formal" nights if you get what I'm saying. And don't be snobs, putting down NCL like that, that is snob ville.

Then cruise a line that has no dress codes - like NCL. Dont expect other lines to adapt your your preferences. Some of us enjoy dressing up and seeing others dressed up as well.

Several of the luxury cruise lines (Regent, Seabourn and I think Crystal) do not have formal nights. It is country club casual all the way. Most of the men wear open color shirts with sports coats in the main dining room. Woman in nice dressy pants and tops. Of course these ships do not have photographers for those formal night pictures. It certainly made packing for those cruises a lot easier.

Some people can't even be bothered to dress that nicely. We enjoy formal night and dressing up for dinner. It adds an elegance to a dining experience which is what the dining room is. Most of the people who don't want to dress up aren't necessarily the ones that know what country club casual is.:rolleyes:

The reality is, there are a few that really want to be told they can wear their shorts and t-shirts to the MDR for dinner. If they do away with formal nights, it's only a matter of time til some are asking for smart casual to go away.

I've only been on 3 cruises[1 Princess and RCCL EOS] and I wear the same thing every night, even for formal nights. I wear very nice pants, a nice shirt but no tie, no tux, no black suit and have never been denied dining service. I respect anyone who wants to dress up all the way, to each their own but why not follow the NCL model of every night is formal night and casual night. Its the best of both worlds because lets face it, there are no real formal nights anyway. They won't deny you if you look half decent. By the way I think I've seen jeans in the dining room one or twice.
And why not simply show some respect on what the cruise line suggest....dress formal for formal night in the MDR.

We enjoy formal nights as my GF likes to see me all cleaned up:D

Saying that on our Alaska cruise we arnt sure we will make it to the MDR on the 2nd elegant night since we want to see the views more than the meal.

The first night we are doing Samba since our cabin is on the portside and want a different view of the inside passage.

So for the first time in 30+cruises I might not have a tie on for elegant night.

And yes the bottom line the ship makes alot of money with the photos

Unlike you, I don't feel qualified to speak for most cruisers, only myself and my husband. Personally, I wouldn't go on a cruiseline that didn't have at least one scheduled formal night because for us its one of the highlights of the cruise. (DH voluntarily packs and wears a tux .) And I'm glad that others choose to join us in the experience.

From Rccl's web site:

Life Onboard

Q: What are the dress codes onboard?

A: There are three distinct types of evenings onboard: casual, smart casual and formal. Suggested guidelines for these nights are:

Casual: Sport shirts and slacks for men, sundresses or pants for women

Smart Casual: Jackets and ties for men, dresses or pantsuits for women

Formal: Suits and ties or tuxedos for men, cocktail dresses for women

These are the CODES for the three DISTINCT evenings. (Meaning one differing from the other)

Formal nights are one of the highlights in my mind also. I spent a week years ago with my date looking for just the right color accessory to my suit to match her dress. It was a feeling as though you're back in prom which, lets face it, is well in the past! It designates nights of fun, glamor, prestige, whatever you choose to call it. Most of us probably can't even find date night while at home so, to have it designated on a vacation makes it that much easier to anticipate.

Who are the us that you say don't want formal nights? Certainly not the majority of cruisers on this board. :confused:

Why do people want to change/eliminate Formal Nights? On a 7 day cruise there are only 2.

If you don't like/want Formal nights you have many options:

1. Don't go into the MDR.

2. Dress as you normally do at home and go into the MDR.

3. Cruise on another Cruise line.

4. Make excuses to justify why you don't dress up.

LOL

I wear a uniform almost every day I work. I wear jeans and t shirt and very casual when I'm not. The only time I really shine up like a new penny in my dresses are at special events like weddings. I enjoy formal nights on a ship because I enjoy dressing up and taking the photos, oh hell that's when I can get my DH to take a photo:D. I understand dress and wear what you want your vacation. If you don't want to do formal night, then Don't there are choices to eat other than the MDR.

Why do people want to change/eliminate Formal Nights? On a 7 day cruise there are only 2.

If you don't like/want Formal nights you have many options:

1. Don't go into the MDR.

2. Dress as you normally do at home and go into the MDR.

3. Cruise on another Cruise line.

4. Make excuses to justify why you don't dress up.

LOL[/quote

well said

What continues to crack me up is people who fixate on the word suggested attire. If you read the dress codes, when is says "formal night" that should be the end of it. It's formal. But RCCL goes the extra (secondary) mile in instructing folks what that means and whats acceptable.

It doesn't "suggest" that you go formal or not, it suggests what to wear on formal night.

Found this interesting so I had to go back through old compass to see what is said.

It seems the word "suggested" has been used by RCI for many years now, but I had to go back to 1999 to find one that said the suggested was formal wear and then they told you what that meant as in formals/or coat/tie.

It seems they dropped telling you what suggested meant over 10 years ago(onboard), at least in the info we have. Now, along with the word suggested, they only say what is not acceptable, such as bare feet and shorts.

Who are the us that you say don't want formal nights? Certainly not the majority of cruisers on this board. :confused:

If you haven't figured it out... This Board does not represent the majority of RCCL cruisers, or at least the majority that choose to post on this topic.

I find it objectionable that anyone suggest that I should not go to the MDR on any night of the cruise becauseI want to wear a polo shirt and dress slacks. Dress anyway you like, so will I. Everyone needs to find a way to enjoy their dinner without being concerned aboutwhat others are wearing at dinner.

Speaking for just my DW and myself, we enjoy at least one formal night per cruise, and dress to meet the "code".

We have made our own rule, and that is to not go into public places, where people dress per the code, after 6:30 PM if we are not in the dress code of the evening.

So, some formal evenings, we will eat in the Windjammer, or sometimes in our cabin. We don't want to feel "out of place" whether it be in the CL or Promenade, on that class of ship.

We hope that RCCL does not drop the code.;)

Rick

Sorry, I disagree. We enjoy them :)

However, how you choose to dress is certainly your choice, doesn't bother me. ;)

but the difference is not only the garb, but the attitude. Some enjoy Dining, others are there to eat.

Having recognized formal nights maintains that difference for many. As you say, it is truly a wear anything world today. But there is still a goodly portion of folks that enjoy the concept of a dining experience...

I agree wholeheartedly.

...and if you don't enjoy formal night, don't ruin it for those who do.

Found this interesting so I had to go back through old compass to see what is said.

It seems the word "suggested" has been used by RCI for many years now, but I had to go back to 1999 to find one that said the suggested was formal wear and then they told you what that meant as in formals/or coat/tie.

It seems they dropped telling you what suggested meant over 10 years ago(onboard), at least in the info we have. Now, along with the word suggested, they only say what is not acceptable, such as bare feet and shorts.

So if I understand this correctly, you are saying that, what RCCL says on their website in terms of formal wear and the "Suggestion" regarding what one should wear, differ from what is said on board? It wouldn't surpise me...I'd like to know.

I don't care either way. I don't go for the whole "dress up" game, makes me feel like a Christmas Tree. I don't have any desire to sail NCL at this time however. So I dress nicely and go to the dining room on Formal night and they've never kicked me out. I enjoy seeing tuxedos and formal gowns, just not on me.

Archived