Charleston port - any questions

I prefer to check most of my bags, but since the drink rule was changed (not allowed to check them anymore), we always have the rolling bags for drinks.

The same with us. I have figured out how to get 24 cokes/water/etc and 2 bottles of wine in one rolling suitcase that would be allowed on a plane. Security is definitely on to checking all bottles for being opened and re-filled (thanks to all the posters here!) and is part of the reason for on allowing carry-on drinks and it's all ports btw.

Charleston is very different and even though I have done it several times I still don't get the bus thing EXCEPT that the drop-off area right in front of the terminal is quite small and could be a problem. Before 9/11 you could just drive up and drop people off but alas not anymore. Once the new terminal is built that will go away.

So if driving and parking at the port...is it better to get there a little early and wait in the car line to be first in line to park and get checked in or better to hang out at the hotel and not arrive until 11:30 when the car line starts moving? Is there a big difference in time to get on the ship?

So if driving and parking at the port...is it better to get there a little early and wait in the car line to be first in line to park and get checked in or better to hang out at the hotel and not arrive until 11:30 when the car line starts moving? Is there a big difference in time to get on the ship?

If you go downtown prior to 10 am you cannot get into the line... they may let you drop off luggage but that's about it. Around 10-10:15 you can get in line, drop off luggage and be one of the first cars waiting to park. I think it is more like 10:30-11 before they allow you to park but it can be earlier depending on how fast people got off and how many parked at the port. Personally I would want to be one of first to park/be shuttled (or walk) to the staging area for the buses to the terminal. Every time I have went out of Charleston if you are in early, you get thru the line quickly (like immediately) as they don't start the buses til they are ready for you. Last time the buses started around 11:30 and once off the bus it was about 15 minutes, including security check, checking in and walking up a LONG gangway that is somewhat steep to be on the ship. Quick and fast.... if you wait til 11:30 you will be in line with the car, waiting on an empty bus, and once to the terminal a line for your SS cards/welcome aboard pic (we bypass) and then the walk up. Hope this help! and have a great cruise!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Bobsfamily, first off, thank you for all your answers on this forum. They help out alot.

We are cruising mid Feb out of Charleston. On the Port website it states parking is complimentary if you have a disabled parking pass. We are Canadian, do you know if complimentary parking works for Canadian Disabled Parking Passes aswell?

bobsfamily: I posted a new thread, but don't seem to be getting any replies, so I thought I'd repost as a reply in your thread and maybe you can help with some of it:

I am driving out in June with my boys to cruise on the Fantasy. I upgraded to a Grand Suite to surprise them on the cruise. So, for our stay in Charleston for the 1 night pre-cruise, I don't want to spend a lot. We definitely want a cruise and park hotel to avoid having to deal with parking, etc.

The Days Inn Mt. Pleasant Patriot's Point has by far the best rate for our dates - $80 for the 3 of us with parking. Transportation is not provided, but the desk clerk I spoke with said it would be under $20 total each way for all of us.

We don't need fancy, don't need to be close to a lot of stuff - I just see if this is a decent hotel to stay at - and if the cab estimate sounds about right.

Also, I definitely want to visit downtown Charleston while we are there. What is easiest - driving over and parking somewhere (if so, where?) or is it better to just take a cab? I want to take the boys to Magnolia's for dinner that night and would like to some sightseeing beforehand.

Thanks for any information!

Hi Bobsfamily, first off, thank you for all your answers on this forum. They help out alot.

We are cruising mid Feb out of Charleston. On the Port website it states parking is complimentary if you have a disabled parking pass. We are Canadian, do you know if complimentary parking works for Canadian Disabled Parking Passes aswell?

I am not sure about that one but I've been told that other states are accepted. Your best bet would be to call:

For more information on Charleston's cruise business, call (843) 958-8298 or e-mail cruises@scspa.com.

Switchboard: 843-723-8651

Toll-Free: 1-800-845-7106

Marketing & Sales: 843-577-8101

Since it is waiving a fee I'm just not sure.... Hope this helps.

Have a wonderful cruise.

I have a question please...DH will need assistance in getting up the ramp into the ship...are there wheel chairs available at the port and/or porters to assist getting onboard the ship ?

Also, we are booked into a grand suite so I would assume there is a waiting area for Priority boarding that might also have a wheel chair available?

Thanks for any information you have on this.

Passengers with mobility issues are usually allowed to board at "ground" level, with staff assistance, to avoid the rather steep and long ramp. Depending on the state of the tide (over 6 foot range at Charleston) there will still be a short ramp that may slope up or down, but it's relatively easy. Entry is, I think, on deck two, same as for tenders or dockside in ports of call. Ask at the check-in kiosk.

Thanks for that information....I do appreciate it! Will make it a bit more relaxed getting on the ship for the hubby.

When you enter the terminal to your right will be chairs and Carnival staff. Let them you know you need assistance. The have wheelchairs available and will have staff transport you if needed. Also when you debarked you may want to go to the area for wheelchair assistance. While it is downhill there will be a lot of standing and it will be slow. So it does get tiring. Depending on which muster station you have you may have to go,up steps. Just let the, know steps wpould be difficult and you can stay in the room. We called Special Needs before we sailed so my party was also on the list.

We are flying in the day before. We are not renting a car. Any hotel that will take you to places in the area & to the ship ??

Laquinta Inn and Suites Riverview has a shuttle service that runs downtown for $8 a person. Call them and the will tell you the schedule but you can come and go all day for the $8 pp. they will also arrange a taxi for you to the ship. Not sure of the price. I would stay here again but we hired a shuttle but several others used taxis

Is there a place to park outside of the port (a lot or hotel) that has shuttle service to and from the port? We will be driving in the morning of our cruise and don't need a hotel, but would like to have an alternative place to park offsite (don't want to pay $15/day at the port). Is there something like this in Charleston?

Is there a place to park outside of the port (a lot or hotel) that has shuttle service to and from the port? We will be driving in the morning of our cruise and don't need a hotel, but would like to have an alternative place to park offsite (don't want to pay $15/day at the port). Is there something like this in Charleston?

Some of the hotels may allow you to do this but in general there is not a lot (or lots) like PC has. By the time you pay for a hotel lot (probably $5-7 a day) and cab ($20-30 each way) you are not saving much. Honestly I would just bite the bullet and park at the port. It's secure (and NO hotel lot is) and you got your car right there ready to go. There are lots of stay/park/cruise packages but not really any "lots" available. The airport has a few for flights but they do not cater to cruisers and the cab would be expensive from near the airport. Have a great cruise!

I know I can not park at this hotel for the duration of the cruise, but, with Hilton Honors points I can get a pretty good deal at the Hampton Inn downtown. It looks (on the map) like it is in a pretty good location, any opinions? I have never been to Charleston and was told by another traveler "if you can stay downtown do it!"

I know I can not park at this hotel for the duration of the cruise, but, with Hilton Honors points I can get a pretty good deal at the Hampton Inn downtown. It looks (on the map) like it is in a pretty good location, any opinions? I have never been to Charleston and was told by another traveler "if you can stay downtown do it!"

The Hampton is a nice hotel but is a bit far to walk to what most tourists consider "downtown". It is over a mile to the terminal and Market street. It's close to Marion Square and shopping/drinks/food on King St.

https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=Hampton+Inn+Charleston-Historic+District,+345+Meeting+Street,+Charleston,+SC+29403&daddr=S+Market+St&hl=en&sll=32.784965,-79.930387&sspn=0.027132,0.055747&geocode=Fb5Q9AEdXEQ8-ynLfGCAa3r-iDEn6BEqxjqmag%3BFWEz9AEdvWw8-w&mra=mift&mrsp=1&sz=15&t=m&z=15

This is an alternative that is close to the Isle of Palms, walking distance to food/drinks and Town Center that has Movies, all kinds of shops, etc.

http://hamptoninn3.hilton.com/en/hotels/south-carolina/hampton-inn-and-suites-charleston-mt-pleasant-isle-of-palms-CHSMPHX/index.html

It does allow you to leave your car and does include round trip transfers to the port. Just a thought. Either way have a great cruise.

Here is a question I asked would you mind answering it PLZ. My concern is they will wait in line to drop off luggage but not sure the port authority will allow since one will not have any documention. What does he do then?

Thank you!!

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1783317

WOW, well there is always one. HE will need his passport and something with booking number, cabin room, etc. He would need his "ticket" at the very least. He also will not have preprinted luggage tags so will need to fill in blank ones at the luggage drop-off which will slow down the process and tick off the workers, the other passengers in the car and the ones behind him. You said it (in the other thread) but I gotta agree.

One note is that with the set-up at Charleston not having your "docs" is exaggerated and at every step he is going to be asked over and over where his boarding pass is. Prior to entering the line to drop off luggage, at the drop-off, getting on the bus, entering the security check-point. AND when he gets to check-in he will be asked, ho-hummed at and finally given what he should have done prior to getting there. Please feel free to copy and paste this (minus the agree part) into an email to your guy.

WOW, well there is always one. HE will need his passport and something with booking number, cabin room, etc. He would need his "ticket" at the very least. He also will not have preprinted luggage tags so will need to fill in blank ones at the luggage drop-off which will slow down the process and tick off the workers, the other passengers in the car and the ones behind him. You said it (in the other thread) but I gotta agree.

One note is that with the set-up at Charleston not having your "docs" is exaggerated and at every step he is going to be asked over and over where his boarding pass is. Prior to entering the line to drop off luggage, at the drop-off, getting on the bus, entering the security check-point. AND when he gets to check-in he will be asked, ho-hummed at and finally given what he should have done prior to getting there. Please feel free to copy and paste this (minus the agree part) into an email to your guy.

Thank you so much!!! :D Guess my cell will be ringing that day needing help or at least the booking #. He sailed back in the 90's so he knows all about it :rolleyes:

Thanks for your info! That Hampton Inn is unavailable, Hampton Inn Mt Pleasant Patriots Point is available. Any thoughts on that one? The only other downtown that is available with Hilton Honor Points is the DoubleTree Historic District, any thoughts on this one? Thanks again bobsfamily!

Thanks for your info! That Hampton Inn is unavailable, Hampton Inn Mt Pleasant Patriots Point is available. Any thoughts on that one? The only other downtown that is available with Hilton Honor Points is the DoubleTree Historic District, any thoughts on this one? Thanks again bobsfamily!

You are welcome. The HI at PP is fine and does offer the park and cruise option. It is not really near much except other hotels as far as walking but dining is within 1/2 mile. Downtown is:

https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=Hampton+Inn+Charleston%2FMt.+Pleasant-Patriots+Point,+Sessions+Way,+Mount+Pleasant,+SC&daddr=E+Bay+St&hl=en&ll=32.793083,-79.917855&spn=0.027129,0.055747&sll=32.786156,-79.924979&sspn=0.027131,0.055747&geocode=FRqA9AEdFOI8-yGxs3Flj1LkESkLIV3G9HD-iDGxs3Flj1LkEQ%3BFeQy9AEdCWg8-w&oq=Hampton+Inn+Charleston%2FMt.+Pleasant-Patriots+Point,+Sessions+Way,+Mount+Pleasant,+SC&mra=ls&t=m&z=15

Not a bad drive to visit when you arrive. You might ask at the hotel as they may shuttle you downtown for free that day/evening prior to the cruise.

http://hamptoninn3.hilton.com/en/hotels/south-carolina/hampton-inn-charleston-mt-pleasant-patriots-point-CHSMTHX/offers/index.htm

As for the DoubleTree, it is right downtown in the middle (OK on the side) of Market Street, shopping, dining, etc. This would be exactly what you would want for seeing the sites and not having to drive anywhere. Excellent choice:

http://doubletree3.hilton.com/en/hotels/south-carolina/doubletree-by-hilton-hotel-and-suites-charleston-historic-district-CHSCSDT/index.html

They do not offer the park and stay I'm pretty sure as parking is a premium downtown. Depending on your cost for the room it could be the ticket. Heck you get the best of both worlds, a great tourist experience cheap and your car waiting when you get off the ship. I'd go with that, except for the "free parking" and transfers from the Hampton.

Either way I think you will be pleased but I personally would go for the DoubleTree and paid parking at the port. Happy Cruising!

Decided to go with Hampton Inn Patriots Point to make my Hilton Honors points last longer!! Now have a question about the Lowcountry Loop Trolly. Looks like online tickets are $15 a person and it has unlimited on and off. Should be convenient for seeing the sights, what do you think?

We have decided to come in on Sunday now instead of driving up Monday morning (anything could happen!)

Right now we are looking at staying in Mt. Pleasant (gotta get my Sticky Fingers at either the Sleep Inn or Best Western.

To get to the port, we were going to take a taxi and were looking at either Yellow Cab Company or Charleston Cab Company. Read mixed reviews about both, but am leaning towards CCC.

So, if we're getting dropped off and don't have to wait to get in the car park, what is the earliest we can get there to get checked in and start exploring?

Thanks. So looking forward to this!

Decided to go with Hampton Inn Patriots Point to make my Hilton Honors points last longer!! Now have a question about the Lowcountry Loop Trolly. Looks like online tickets are $15 a person and it has unlimited on and off. Should be convenient for seeing the sights, what do you think?

The trolley will take you to several points on the islands (both Isle of Palms and Sullivan's Island) and around Mt. Pleasant. It does not go downtown but plenty to see on it's trip.

http://www.lowcountrylooptrolley.com/Map-and-Schedule.html

The stop on Sullivan's Island "downtown" and Isle of Palms "front beach" are fun for a drink, some food and stroll on the beach (IOP stop is very close). There are several stops for shopping also but do be aware that it's about an hour between drop-off and pick-up. Again remember that it does not go downtown. You will do fine at the HI.

Archived