Customs for intermediate stop in Canada, disembarking in Canada

I'll be on a Princess cruise next week where the final stop is Victoria with the cruise ending in Vancouver. Since it's Canada-Canada, what are the customs (and immigration) procedure? As far as buying duty-free liquor onboard, is that allowed after the ship gets to Victoria?

I'll be on a Princess cruise next week where the final stop is Victoria with the cruise ending in Vancouver. Since it's Canada-Canada, what are the customs (and immigration) procedure? As far as buying duty-free liquor onboard, is that allowed after the ship gets to Victoria?

I looked up your other post, and since you are embarking in Los Angeles, it is not considered "Canada - Canada". You will disembark in Vancouver and go through C&I there. Your liquor allowance is what it always is after the specified absence; doesn't matter where it was purchased, only how much you are bringing back into Canada, your home, with you.

I can't recall if the ship's duty free store is closed once the ship enters Canadian waters or not, but I think it will be closed between Victoria and Vancouver. I would make my duty free purchases between Los Angles and Victoria.

On your last evening you will be given a Canadian customs declaration form to complete, only one form needs to be completed per family but each member must sign it if they bringing goods into Canada. At Canada Place in Vancouver you will pass thru Canadian Customs where you will give your passport or other approved travel document to the officer as well as your declaration form, it will be stamped and a notation will be made by the officer then as you leave the the arrivals area with your luggage you will give the declaration card to yet another customs officer who will look at the card and will either let you pass or send you into another area for a look at your luggage...only a very small percentage of pax are sent in for inspection.

Thanks for all the feedback. I was wondering if the stop in Victoria would mean that was our first point of entry into Canada which would make a difference in our $-amount allowance (away for 7 or more days or less) since the new allowance rules haven't kicked in yet (6 days away once the ship gets to Victoria vs 7 days when it gets to Vancouver).

Thanks for all the feedback. I was wondering if the stop in Victoria would mean that was our first point of entry into Canada which would make a difference in our $-amount allowance (away for 7 or more days or less) since the new allowance rules haven't kicked in yet (6 days away once the ship gets to Victoria vs 7 days when it gets to Vancouver).

I am guessing here but since Victoria is in Canada you are deemed to have entered Canada therefore the Days out of the country end then

You could call CBSA to confirm

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/menu-eng.html

The cigarette & Alcohol limits will be the same for over 48 hr & 7 day absences

• 2 weeks later...

For future reference, I spoke with a CBSA agent yesterday and one isn't counted as being in Canada during intermediate stop.

Also, food items that you are allowed on normal air/land crossings are also allowed off the ship (at least at the end of the voyage) despite the cruise line propaganda.

Also, food items that you are allowed on normal air/land crossings are also allowed off the ship (at least at the end of the voyage) despite the cruise line propaganda.

I hope you never have to explain yourself, then. Could be awkward and embarrassing.

In your case it is correct. Intermediate stop before Vancouver is not technically not counted. Therefore, Vancouver will be your "first" entry into Canada. Usually what happens is, passports that needs to be presented to Canadian officials will be collected the day before arriving into Canada. For the rest of the passengers, nothing usually happens until the day of disembarkation. That is when you have to go through customs formalities.

To my understanding, shops are usually open up to the time when we arrive in port. Doing the Alaskan run, the ship usually arrives later on in the evening for a few hours stop. For this matter, you are still able to purchase duty free items. Hope this helps you.

I hope you never have to explain yourself, then. Could be awkward and embarrassing.

Bought coffee in the U.S., and my sister sent my mother a platter of cheese, basket of fruit and 2 bottles of wine. We used the voucher for the wine (saved me some $80) but my mother, my wife and myself could not eat all the cheese and fruit and it would have been discarded. Unlike most North Americans, we hate wasting food.

It sound like you were on Island Princess with us.

As you discovered and for the benefit of others....on board liquor was sold until we pulled into Victoria.....and then shops were closed since we stayed in Victoria until midnight and then we sailed the short distance to Vancouver.

Immigration / Customs was in Vancouver and interestingly, we checked out of Canada at the airport....and checked into the US (US Customs was at the Vancouver airport) right after clearing Canadian customs.

Bought coffee in the U.S., and my sister sent my mother a platter of cheese, basket of fruit and 2 bottles of wine. We used the voucher for the wine (saved me some $80) but my mother, my wife and myself could not eat all the cheese and fruit and it would have been discarded. Unlike most North Americans, we hate wasting food.

So were you allowed to take the fruit off at the end?

Did you get to claim the $750 allowance each?

So were you allowed to take the fruit off at the end?

Yes, as we only took the stuff that doesn't grow in Canada (main criteria). We have Nexus so we pretty much know what's allowed and what's not.

Did you get to claim the $750 allowance each?

Could/would have if we had that much. Didn't even get up to the current 48 hr exemption (other than for booze).

Yes, as we only took the stuff that doesn't grow in Canada (main criteria). We have Nexus so we pretty much know what's allowed and what's not.

I did not think fruit was allowed ....Interesting!!

We always bring lots of coffee beans from Central America but they are sealed & processed

Thanks

I did not think fruit was allowed ....Interesting!!

You can bring in pretty much any fruit and veg that is not grown commercially in Canada, and even some which are outside of growing season (one such is corn) so we avoided apples and pears.

There are some (not that odd if you learn about the history) limitations such as C$20 of dairy products, 1 whole turkey or a given poundage of turkey and poultry parts, 2 dozen eggs not that one's likely to be carting these items off a cruise ship.

There are some (not that odd if you learn about the history) limitations such as C$20 of dairy products, 1 whole turkey or a given poundage of turkey and poultry parts, 2 dozen eggs not that one's likely to be carting these items off a cruise ship.

I would not think so :D

Archived