Fjords weather

Off on the Caribbean Princess Fjords Cruise on 19 June. Can any previous travellers give advice on what the weather conditions are likely to be at that time of year. We've checked the Princess average temperatures at each port of call and feel that they are rather on the low side. Obviously we're not expecting it to be hot but are hoping it will be slightly warmer than the temperatures indicated by Princess. Our own experience of temperatures in London in June would be higher than the 60 degrees average indicated by Princess so hopefully that will be true for the other ports of call too. Obviously weather is unpredictable but it would be nice to think it might not be as cool as indicated.

Off on the Caribbean Princess Fjords Cruise on 19 June. Can any previous travellers give advice on what the weather conditions are likely to be at that time of year.

Go to http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/getForecast?query=Venice%2C+Italy

Enter in a location near the Fjord where you will be sailing.

When the weather for that location comes up, go about 1/2 way down the page and on the left will be a box (History and Almanac) in which you can give a past date to get historical data.

The weather can be nice when in port. As with Alaska cruises, you need layers, to be prepared. It can be very cool when the ship is at sea.

In port, it can be lovely and sunny or cool and rainy. If you are prepared, with layers, you can enjoy any weather.

Bon voyage!

I'm assuming you are asking about fjords in Norway - I've not checked your cruise itinerary.

I agree with Cruisin'Rabbit - you should be prepared for anything and possibly changes within a day. Layers, including a waterproof layer for rain, will be your friend. On our cruise, we encountered cool, rainy day, misty but warm days, and even had an amazing 70 degrees with sunshine at the North Cape. The locals said they only get a handful of such days a year.

Don't forget a small umbrella and footwear that can handle a rain shower.

Enjoy your cruise - the fjords are breathtaking. I'm not much of a photo person but I still look at the photos from that cruise.

We sailed the fjords in late June and sometimes it was definitely cool. You are at about 60 degrees North and it never gets but so warm at that latitude. In terms of North America you would be in northern Quebec or southern most Alaska. You will get the Midnight sun and I made a real effort to get my picture in the hot tub with a view of the fjords and clock that said 3 mins after 12 midnight and no flash needed. It rocks -- one of my favorite cruises ever.

Now take layers but be sure and save some room for the beautiful sweaters of Norway. Most are wool but I was able to find a wonderful Dale (excellent brand) cotton sweater in blue and ruby that I have worn for over 12 years. I wash it in the machine (first few years drycleaned but then don't have to) and block it on the floor. I often take that sweater on cruises and use in the dining room because it looks so nice and then it serves as a warm layer. The sweaters are pricey but oh what a lovely lovely memory item. The beautiful fjords flood my mind every time I wear the sweater. Yes they do ship back to USA for a price. My cousin bought 18 sweaters for family gifts:D Christmas shopping done in one stop!

Off on the Caribbean Princess Fjords Cruise on 19 June. Can any previous travellers give advice on what the weather conditions are likely to be at that time of year. We've checked the Princess average temperatures at each port of call and feel that they are rather on the low side. Obviously we're not expecting it to be hot but are hoping it will be slightly warmer than the temperatures indicated by Princess. Our own experience of temperatures in London in June would be higher than the 60 degrees average indicated by Princess so hopefully that will be true for the other ports of call too. Obviously weather is unpredictable but it would be nice to think it might not be as cool as indicated.

We are doing a similar trip on the Grand 6/23. We've done the trip before and it is chilly, especially in June and early July. The north cape (Honingsberg) can be very windy if you go up to the museum and look off the cliffs. Last trip we did have some rain and cool weather going into some of the fjords.

The OP mentioned Dale sweaters and yes they are really nice and really pricy. The one I bought on my trip, I bought at a flea market that was set up right on the pier (I forget which port) but I got the best price there. Now I do a lot of knitting and just buy the Dale yarns and make my own.

Norway is REALLY expensive so bring warm clothes and your credit card. You'll need both.:)

You have received a good range of suggestions, including checking on a day-by-day, port-by-port weather history with http://www.wunderground.com

Late June and especially July are the best time periods to do these great areas. There's lots of variations and changes that happen on weather. We generally had super weather. It did great a little rainy in the am one day, but then improved later in the day. Weather averages are just that. It could be cool in the early am and then warm up. You can see lots more details from the live/blog that I did and has a link listed noted. Below are some of my sample visuals to get you excited about what you'll see and do there.

As I understand your cruise from the UK does super charming Bergen, Hellesylt-to-Geiranger (where I suggest going "up-country" with an all-day tour), Honningsvag, Tromsø, Gravdal for the wonderful Lofoten Islands, Flam for the rail adventure and Stavanger. We did all of these great areas, except the last stop mentioned above.

Let us know any added questions!!

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 68,752 views.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

This is the super scenic view from immediately above Geiranger that shows the Silver Cloud and Costa ships tendered. A little before this picture, we were to go to Mt. Dalsnibba as a photo stop from this 4,920-foot vantage for the snow-covered surrounding mountains, icy glaciers, crystalline lakes and Geirangerfjord far below. Here is this view, at a lower level, that provided a wonderful vista.:

FjordsFinalPortLongView.jpg

We went to the end of the road for the dramatic Lofoten Islands with our rental car. It is a village called “A”. In their alphabet, this “A” has a small “o” above the letter. Simple name for a charming fishing town. We had box lunches from the ship and dined on a picnic table on the wooden dock. This was our view with the busy and noisy birds.:

LofotenARedBldgBirds.jpg

This is the dramatic overview of Tromso along the Norway Coast. The Arctic Cathedral is shown bottom right in this picture.:

TromsoOverallCityView.jpg

This is one of my many puffin visuals, showing their bright orange feet, plus their cute and unique beaks. We had a private boat from is the harbor in Gjesvaer near the North Cape.:

BirdRockPuffinFeet.jpg

Here’s a close look at these historic Bergen Hanseatic merchant warehouse building fronts, people taking pictures, etc. :

BergenCloseHistBldgPixs.jpg

For Flam, you can see just of the highlights below from this day in the Sognerfjord that is rated as the best in all of Norway for these views. This spectacular train ride up the mountain allowed us to see the valleys, waterfalls, etc., up close and personal!!:

FjordsTrainViews2.jpg

Archived