Athens Acropolis tours

Jane T

I understand that there's information out there already on this topic, but I have been searching and can't find the specifics I was hoping to. I understand that from the port a taxi or public transport (train I think) can be taken to the Acropolis and Plaka areas. How much is each option each way per person? Also, is there an admission charge to the Acropolis area? If we want an Acropolis guide how do we get that and approximately what is the cost? Thank you so much. I am trying to figure out if we should do this ourselves or sign up for a ship tour and we leave in 4 days!!!:eek:

A taxi (holds 3 comfortably, maybe 4 in a pinch but tight) will cost around 20-25 euro from the port to the base of the Acropolis -- you'll still have to climb up. If you do taxi, be sure to agree the price BEFORE you get in.

A metro ticket from Piraeus to the closest metro stop was 1 euro per person a year ago; I don't know if the cost has increased since then. Downside is that there is a substantial walk to the metro station from the port -- anywhere from 25-45 minutes depending where your ship docks.

There is a charge for admission to the Acropolis, it also includes several other ancient monuments including the Agora, Theatre of Dionysis, Roman Forum, and Temple of Olympian Zeus but it does not include admission to either the Acropolis Museum or the National Archaeological Museum. The cost last year was 12 euro per person.

A limited number of guides are available at the entrance (where you purchase your tickets). The cost is usually 100 euro per group (up to 10 people), so if you only have two you can either pay the full price or try to find others to share.

Athens is easy to do on your own if your comfortable with public transportation and finding your way around -- sounds like you might be. Only potential downside is if there is a transportation strike on the day you visit. Being that it is so close, you may be able to find out if anything is scheduled by posting on the Athens forum of the Tripadvisor boards.

Hi Jane,

I found this link which I have been using to plan our trip. There are different links on each of the pages so check them out. It provides the walking directions to the train station, entrance fees, hours....

If you go to the home page you check out other ports as well looking at the links on the left side of the page.

http://www.mediterranean-cruise-ports-easy.com/athens-greece-cruise.html

Could you tell me which of the two museums you would recommend?

Acropolis Museum or the National Archaeological Museum

And do you think we should visit it before visiting the sites? I know the crowds will be heavier the longer we wait but will we get more out of the sites if we've visited the museum first?

Thanks,

Carol

Could you tell me which of the two museums you would recommend?

Acropolis Museum or the National Archaeological Museum

And do you think we should visit it before visiting the sites? I know the crowds will be heavier the longer we wait but will we get more out of the sites if we've visited the museum first?

Thanks,

Carol

Which museum would I recommend -- both! :D Seriously, both are very worthwhile but I realize that for one day you cannot do it all.

The Acropolis museum deals ONLY with the Acropolis -- what was there before the current buildings, history, and some of the pieces that have been removed to preserve them (the Karyatids, the few remaining pieces of the Parthenon frieze that aren't in the British Museum, etc.) Yes, it will help you understand the Acropolis better -- but on the other hand, if you do some advance reading and take a guidebook with you onsite, you can also gain a lot of that context. If I had to choose between going to the museum first or getting up to the Acropolis before the crowds, I'd take the second option every time. And visiting the museum after will still add to your enjoyment.

The National Archaeological Museum is like a microcosm of Greek history. It has the best pieces from all over Greece in its collections. It would definitely take longer to go through and absorb than the Acropolis museum, plus it is further away from the other sites you'll likely be seeing. Seeing it won't give you insight into any ONE site in Athens, but it certainly does add context and understanding to all of them. Unfortunately, it's probably too much to include if you already have a long itinerary to see in Athens.

I just can't understand people who spend half a day in Athens and think they've seen it all!

Which museum would I recommend -- both! :D Seriously, both are very worthwhile but I realize that for one day you cannot do it all.

The Acropolis museum deals ONLY with the Acropolis -- what was there before the current buildings, history, and some of the pieces that have been removed to preserve them (the Karyatids, the few remaining pieces of the Parthenon frieze that aren't in the British Museum, etc.) Yes, it will help you understand the Acropolis better -- but on the other hand, if you do some advance reading and take a guidebook with you onsite, you can also gain a lot of that context. If I had to choose between going to the museum first or getting up to the Acropolis before the crowds, I'd take the second option every time. And visiting the museum after will still add to your enjoyment.

The National Archaeological Museum is like a microcosm of Greek history. It has the best pieces from all over Greece in its collections. It would definitely take longer to go through and absorb than the Acropolis museum, plus it is further away from the other sites you'll likely be seeing. Seeing it won't give you insight into any ONE site in Athens, but it certainly does add context and understanding to all of them. Unfortunately, it's probably too much to include if you already have a long itinerary to see in Athens.

I just can't understand people who spend half a day in Athens and think they've seen it all!

Thanks for the input! I'm going to have to think on it awhile and see what works best with our other plans.

Archived