What to take, Alaskan Cruise Tour

framer

WOW! less than two weeks to leave and I'm seeing those nastie baggage fee on the horizon. My biggest concern is a smaller plane on the way back. I'd bet my normal roller case will get gate checked. So plan now is to revert back to a larger nornal camera bag that will fit under the seat. 9 1/2 x 14 x 18 and still take the roller but use it for a few accessories and three day worth of clothing.

I will be taking the Horizon Air flight from Vancouver to Seattle. Will that camera bag fit under those seats?

Main airline is Alaskan Air.

Bill

WOW! less than two weeks to leave and I'm seeing those nastie baggage fee on the horizon. My biggest concern is a smaller plane on the way back. I'd bet my normal roller case will get gate checked. So plan now is to revert back to a larger nornal camera bag that will fit under the seat. 9 1/2 x 14 x 18 and still take the roller but use it for a few accessories and three day worth of clothing.

I will be taking the Horizon Air flight from Vancouver to Seattle. Will that camera bag fit under those seats?

Bill

If you aren't planning of doing formal night you do the whole trip with a carry - on and laptop bag.

We just did a 14 day Hawaii cruise with just a plane carry on and a laptop bag each. Even with this we found that we can still leave some clothing at home . We live in BC so airfare & baggage fees are expensive for cruises.

Bill

If it is a Bombadier Q with 2x2 seating or an Embraer 70 or 90 also with 2x2 seating, my LowePro FastPack 350 fit ok. (It is 11 x 12.8 x 19.9 inches.) If it is a small commuter like an RJ7 with 2x1 seating, it may fit in the overhead, but I am unsure about under the seat.

Dave

I'm using an old Tamrac 709 Pro Convertible it's 9 1/2 x 13 x 18 with one side pocket used. Not my favorite but get the job done. If packed for travel it's a monster.

1-d3s

1-f6 w/mb-40

300mm f4 afs

70-200 f2.8 vr

17-35 afs f2.8

50 afd 1.4

105 afdc f2

tc1.4e

tc2eIII

sb800

8 rolls 35mm

spare battery d3s

8 aa batteries

6 77mm filters

extra lenscap

extra body cap

Gossen Pro F meter

plus a few small extras in a plastic bag on top.

It all fits in this case.

framer

Every time we fly out of our home airport, we have to gate check our wheeled carry-ons. So, we've gotten into the habit of packing one accessory bag with our medicine and paperwork, and I attach my M-rock holster to one of those outside clips on my wheeled carry-on. I just detach it right before I board the plane and slip it under my seat. If I need more accessories, they sell attaching bags that fit on either side of the main holster. My airport travel camera is my Nikon d5100 + 18-200mm lens. If you're going on the train to Denali, those wheeled bags just won't fit in the space under your feet. It's hard enough to get a shoulder bag in and out.

:eek: I don't think that will make it.

Why on earth would you take both the 300F4 and 70-200 and the TCE14/17? With a D3s you should be good with the 70-200 and the two TCEs on the long end, and the 17-35 on the short end.

I'd go with the 17-35, 70-200 with the two converters, flash and lose the film stuff. I'd not bring extra batteries, they can be bought on board. A D3s battery is easily good for 3000 shots or more so I'd say you could even skip the battery if you are bringing the charger.

I've always loaded stuff like filters, charger, batteries in check-in and only the fragile stuff in the carry one ( body and lense )

What is film for anyways :D

I'm using an old Tamrac 709 Pro Convertible it's 9 1/2 x 13 x 18 with one side pocket used. Not my favorite but get the job done. If packed for travel it's a monster.

1-d3s

1-f6 w/mb-40

300mm f4 afs

70-200 f2.8 vr

17-35 afs f2.8

50 afd 1.4

105 afdc f2

tc1.4e

tc2eIII

sb800

8 rolls 35mm

spare battery d3s

8 aa batteries

6 77mm filters

extra lenscap

extra body cap

Gossen Pro F meter

plus a few small extras in a plastic bag on top.

It all fits in this case.

framer

The F6 will be used with Tri-X B&W film. If I need both bodies with long range lenses I need 2. The TC14E lives on the 70-200 vr. If you know the lens it just works better with the TC14E attached. In Alaska you need reach so the D3s will use the 300 and if needed the tc20III to make it a 600 but that combo needs good light. If I need a low light teli with VR the 70-200 could be used if needed on the D3s.

The F6 uses the MB-40 and uses the same battery as the D3s. The F6 eats batteries. I carry the extra battery just in case needed. I switch a battery at 50% use. A loose battery can't be checked. The charger and unit to power the cameras without batteries is in my checked luggage.

I want real B&W for my walls. I guess I've gone full circle but I'm missing the look in my photos in the last 10 years. I started last years adding some B&W and it is an art form itself. Digital has become more how good you are at photoshop than what the original image was. With film you think before you push the button. It's a different mind set.

framer

I'm also taking way too much stuff.....:eek:

framer

It is better to have it when you need it,rather need it and not have it!!From past experience it always proves to be true,plus the price of purchasing items that you all ready own really hits home hard.:rolleyes:

-JH

The F6 will be used with Tri-X B&W film. If I need both bodies with long range lenses I need 2. The TC14E lives on the 70-200 vr. If you know the lens it just works better with the TC14E attached. In Alaska you need reach so the D3s will use the 300 and if needed the tc20III to make it a 600 but that combo needs good light. If I need a low light teli with VR the 70-200 could be used if needed on the D3s.

The F6 uses the MB-40 and uses the same battery as the D3s. The F6 eats batteries. I carry the extra battery just in case needed. I switch a battery at 50% use. A loose battery can't be checked. The charger and unit to power the cameras without batteries is in my checked luggage.

I want real B&W for my walls. I guess I've gone full circle but I'm missing the look in my photos in the last 10 years. I started last years adding some B&W and it is an art form itself. Digital has become more how good you are at photoshop than what the original image was. With film you think before you push the button. It's a different mind set.

framer

Sorry, didn't notice the F6 in the list. I agree B&W is a completely different art form from digital. I hope you will post some pictures when you return.

Larry

Archived